“Expectation high result below par”

Crystal Creek Miniatures
Brisbane, Australia
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Expectation high result below par”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Had hoped for more took 5 grandkids .They were more excited with feeding the fish eels and turtles.Yes there were some lovely small horses and cattle but that was it there were donkeys.All in all long trip from Brisbane but we had the kids for the day.Toilets should have been cleaned before visitors arrive. We were the first and they were dirty.

Visited September 2013
8 Thank Toby P

Mudgeeraba, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Wasted trip”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

My mother bought a Cudo voucher for 2 adults and 2 kids and was wanting to use it when her NZ grandkids arrived for a week's holiday in October. She was going to also take my two kids, paying extra money for them. She rang to book and was told she couldn't come on a Saturday when she wanted and needed to come on a Friday. So she replied "sure, I will come on the Friday", to which the lady on the end of the phone told her "no you can't, we want to keep that day free for the tour group booked that day". My mother assured her there were only 6 of their group and didn't mind tagging behind a tour group. She was told she couldn't.

So as the entire weekend was unavailable for her NZ grandkids, she asked me to call and book on a day that suited us as she said it seemed they were being difficult as she had a voucher. I rang and kept ringing only to discover there were certain days you could ring and book, no answer machine. I waited till the correct day and was told the Friday I chose should be fine, the lady on the end of the phone was taking bookings for the owners as they were unavailable. She took my phone number and told me she would call back if that day was a problem. No phone call back in the two/three weeks.

So come today, having taken the day off school and work as my mother had previously been told they wouldn't do Saturdays, we were so excited and arrived after 1 1/4 hours drive from the Gold Coast following the speed limit. The owner greeted us and when we said we were here for the tour she said, "there's no tours today I didn't have a booking from you." I told her how I had booked, she came up with every excuse: "we don't do tours on Fridays" (I replied, it says you do on your website and my voucher); "you musn't have booked in the right time frame as you have three months to book",
"Yes I did, here's the voucher date".
"It also says on the website it's subject to availability."
"But I booked!!"
"Well I wasn't told you had booked"
"That's not my problem"
"I was in hospital and a friend took the booking"
"I'm sorry to hear that, could you please get your husband just to show us where to walk, we just want to see them, we don't need a tour", no answer, though he was wandering around in the background.
"Come tomorrow, we have people coming then on vouchers."
"We can't come tomorrow, we will get our money back"
"You won't be able to do that."
"Have a look on trip advisor at all the negative comments about being cancelled, this will be another."
"There was only three of those." (Three!! One is too much!!).

We walked out to the car with two very upset children. She came out after a minute to say "It shouldn't have taken you that long to get here!"; I was not impressed by this stage and told her that was not helpful, she loudly told me as she walked off she had been trying to help by letting me know a quicker way to get home to which I loudly told her "No you weren't trying to help". The kids were then given a lesson on how to be immature as she yelled back "whatever you dumb people".

Now please tell me, does this lady know how to run a business?

Visited September 2013
13 Thank K A
Gold Coast
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Go to enjoy the animals and the scenery”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

We went using the Living Social Voucher. There were 12 of us all up (4 adults and 8 kids). To be honest, I don't know if I would of gone paying the full price but I guess it does take a lot of money to maintain a farm like this. The day we went it had been pouring rain the night before and that day it looked threatening but didn't rain while we were on the tour which was awesome. As previously people have said, the lady at the front was abrasive but, talking to her at the end she is quite nice - just not good with a little stress I don't think. Anyway, her husband who takes the tour was fabulous. The tour is now a walking tour but it an easy relaxed tour.

We started at the miniature horses then moved onto miniature donkey, cows, bulls, a mull (Pablo), and then more miniature horse and the newly weened horses. All of the children were given numerous opportunity to feed all of the animals and the trip was not rushed at all. Yes, the gentleman does talk a lot which is a bit much for kids (but they just kept feeding the animals and didn't care), however, what he had to say was very informative, interesting and showed such a passion for these animals.

There was also a little room with interesting relics from times gone by (including a rotary fridge) which is worth having a walk through.

As for the Chihuahuas, there had heated beds in their little run so they were quite happy.

We didn't eat there but the café area had a real relaxed feeling and overlooked a beautiful stream where the turtles were.

Nice drive out and a fun morning for our group.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank GillyGoldCoast
Brisbane, Australia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Interesting tour but a bit long winded”
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Tour was interesting for my young children but a bit long winded and kids were bored by the end. Tour is all outdoors - take water. Great opportunity for them to hand feed animals. Owner very knowledgeable.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Squidgygiblet
Melbourne
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Kind of Quirky but we enjoyed it !”
Reviewed 28 December 2012

We only paid $30 for a family pass instead of $60 which I'm glad about (thanks to a discount voucher we had ... phew). I wouldn't have been happy about paying the full amount.

You know what, I've read the bad reviews and some of their points are true but I have to say we worked around it and really enjoyed the animal experience here. Yes, the woman at the front counter was a little abrasive but I just found her to be typical of many country people. They're no frills and a bit blunt but the last thing she said to us as we left was "have a good day". They're obviously smart enough to know she's not great with people hence they get the husband to do the tours and I have to say his genuine love of the miniature animals was obvious. He is a real character the way he talks about each individual pony to the customers and you can tell he loves them.

They are both quite old now and by his own admission he should have given the tours up by now but he loves doing it.

The one thing my kids couldn't handle was the infestation of ants in the ladies toilet that had been sprayed then left in black heaps all through the toilet. That was a bit ordinary.

The animal feeding experience was fantastic - the guide made sure every single child got a turn and didn't rush us through the farm. He was happy to linger as long as people liked and I found him very warm and friendly. He also lingered in the memorabilia shack at the end which was full of old family antiques and he spent a long time talking to me about them all.

Yes, the place is a bit daggy and it is certainly shabby, but the animals are very well kept and loved and I think this is the kind of place that you manage your visit with and take the good and avoid the bad.

I personally would never have ordered food or coffee here (it might be really nice but I didn't try it) although the large tray of devonshire tea looked pretty good. We continued down the road to Murwillumbah for lunch but we had a thoroughly enjoyable, informative time at this quirky little place.

I probably wouldn't go back as it's the kind of attraction that would only ever interest my kids once and once only, but it's a nice outing for families who like animals and fresh air.

Visited December 2012