“Service Needed in Carpark”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cote D'Azur

Cote D'Azur
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Nelson Bay
Sydney, Australia
“Service Needed in Carpark”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Great apartment. Very large 3 bedroom apartment, main bedroom with en-suite, kind of a parents retreat, away from the main but still highly accessible to the rest of family. Plenty of room, large balcony. Everything you could possibly need though there was not a champagne glass in sight, that was soon taken care of with a call to reception and 6 were supplied. Very Good. Kids loved the pool and close proximity to all attractions. Coles supermarket just a few meters away and Liquor shop close too. Restaurants and Marina very close by. This family's only concern was the carpark. The heat coming from the units in there was cloying. Myself having a breathing issue that heat was debilitating. Somehow the aircon also didn't reach the main bedroom adequately. Remember this was one of our hottest summers in years..All in All I would return and hope to be able to enter and exit without going into the garage. More investigation needed at another time. Staff were not working it being the weekend. If they were I may have worked out how to bypass the carpark and also the stairs to the pool which I don't do because of a breathing issue.

Room Tip: We were in room 18 had a great balcony and views over the bay.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank irene12351

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2014

I booked a 2 bedroom apartment for my friends and my boyfriend and we got a free upgrade to a 3 bedroom apartment! It was awesome as originally my friends were happy to share a room but then they got their own room. The apartment was well sized, had all the things we needed and was very comfortable and close to everything we needed; restaurants, bottle shop, grocery shop etc.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank JessFong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Apologies for the very late review, we have just decided to review all of the places we have been to so far together. We took my boyfriends mother here for 5 nights in April 2012 for her birthday and this place exceeded our expectations, from friendly staff to a superb location, we had a very spacious three bedroom apartment near the pool. It had a very homely feel about it and was extremely accessible and convenient. It was a very safe and secure location in close proximity to all of the best local shops, restaurants, supermarket, town centre and Nelson Bay Marina. The manager was extremely outgoing, friendly and amenable. We would definitely stay here again and recommend for others to do so too.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RWCB01
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

First time we stayed at this accommodation besides the Foxtel not working, and the deck was in need of repair this was a great place to stay. Views, parking, proximity to City and all the cafés and Coles just perfect.
Just needs a better check in process for parking on arrival other than that Brad and staff were excellent, booked again for next year. Brads recommendations we also on the Money.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank George S
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

As the complex is a strata title complex, I presume that different apartments would attract a different rating/review. I also presume that higher level apartments would rate better for a variety of reasons.

However, the above presumptions were of no value to us, who stayed in unit 40, on ground level.

The unit is grossly neglected in terms of maintenance.

Some of the most notable issues were as follows:

1. Cockroaches infestation

We had to chase and kill cockroaches on multiple occasions. These were large American cockroaches, which lived and grew in the unit, as opposed to black German cockroaches, which come from outside.

2. Balcony overtaken by weed and generally very filthy

The balcony/courtyard, covered with concrete tiles, has weed as high as 20-30cm growing all over it. Not just around the edges, but through the middle of it as well. Anyone with any experience with these issues would know that it takes many months of neglect for weed this high to grow out of concrete tiles in a block of units surrounded by concrete.

In addition there were also multiple cigarette buts on the balcony when we arrived, along with other accumulated dirt.

3. Cobwebs throughout the apartment, including in the bedroom, with spiders, of course, of which we killed a few.

4. Musty/unventilated smell inside the apartment. The apartment does not have any fly screens, so it is difficult to properly ventilate it without risking more pests joining the party.

5. The dishwasher not working

6. Some light bulbs were out and I noticed that there were many spare light bulbs in the unit. I presume that the management relies on the guests to replace light bulbs, instead of doing it themselves.

7. Some other things that I would not necessarily complain about, but would like to note is that this unit does not have WiFi (welcome to 2014), does not have cable TV, does not have multiple TVs, does not have a hair dryer, does not have anything fancy about it.

As I said, I would not necessarily complain about the things listed in item 7, however it helps to put things in perspective in the sense that not much money is being spent on this unit at all.

In fairness, I must say that the location is excellent and central and the unit was spacious.

If only the management, that is, the cleaners, spent as much time cleaning the unit as my wife and I have, this would be another positive review.

This unit cost just shy of $300.00 per night, which one would understand if there were no issues raised above. However, we paid that to enjoy a clean, pleasant apartment, not to train for a pest exterminator or to hone our cleaning skills, which we can do at home for free.

I would also add that, despite travelling fairly extensively and having stayed at various types of accommodations both in Australia and overseas, I do not recall ever having to deal with cockroaches in any type of paid accommodation.

Now, judging on the responses to previous negative reviews, I expect that Brad will respond along the lines that the weed was taken care of this afternoon and that he is surprised by our review.

On that note, during our stay we witnessed another family complaining to the caretaker/manager about cockroaches in their unit, so it is definitely not just the apartment we stayed in.

With respect, I would suggest that the management's time would be better utilised by cleaning and maintaining the apartments. They can start with unit 40. If the situation is that most units are fine but only a few have issues, then there would be even less excuses as to why there are any issues at all.

A bit of cleaning and maintenance would ensure that there are no negative reviews at all as this complex has great potential, if there was someone to realise it.

Room Tip: Inconsistent apartment quality. Avoid ground level apartments, if not the entire complex.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dario R
Bradsplace, Manager at Cote D'Azur, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
HI Dario,
We thank you for your review.
Visitors to Cote D Azur are made very much aware when they book as to who manages their holiday apartment. We as (on-site Managers) manage 35 apartments, there are 5 or 6 are Managed by outside Real Estate Agents, one being Unit 40.
It is very common to have guests who stay in these apartments come into Reception and sometimes "very animated" describe on what they have found upon arrival to their holiday accommodation only to be devastated to find out that we can not help them and only to be advised to go back to your Managing agent somewhere down the street and shed their concerns with them.
What you experienced on your holiday is very Common to any complex that has outside agents operating in them. The outside agent has very little interest in these apartments because this is not their only form of holiday rental, some have in excess of 200 other properties to manage outside of CDA.
On-site managers invest in their properties and business (more than any other owner in the building) as this is their only form of income and for that very reason, in the eyes of the On-Site Manger and his wife, the place has to "sparkle".
All the cleaning and maintenance issues you speak of are NOT our responsibility and we are not permitted inside any these outside managed apartments.
A couple of points that may wish to consider when you book your next holiday at CDA.
We supply all linen (except beach towels) Outside Agents do not!
All of our cleaning staff are employed by us and Overseen by my wife, not contract cleaners who get paid on how many they clean. So the cleaning standard suffers.
The bottom line is, when ever you book a holiday in a complex like ours, ask the question and if they have On-Site Mangers and book through them, as I said, they have a vested interest in your holiday and they want good guests back!
Please note - we spray for cockroaches regularly so I guess they live where they do not spray!
I will copy and paste your review to Port Stephens Accommodation in an email so as the managing agent they may wish to contact you and forward the review on to the owner

Regards,
Brad Tudor
On-Site Manager
Stratford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I stayed here in two apartments with very elderly family. I chose here because it has elevators as I was the only person capable of carrying the luggage for six people to our apartments. We were given access to the two apartments a half hour early. As at this time there were only three cars parked on the floor of the elevators we needed to access, I parked as close as I could to the elevator in a visitors car space to unload the car (we only had one vehicle) Whilst I was unloading the car a man came along & asked which apartment we were in, I told him (I was too busy to ask why he would enquire this from me) I proceeded to take the first load up to the apartment & received a phone call from reception to say I wasn't parked in my allocated car park. I explained I was unloading our luggage as my family with me were 75 & up & then I would shift my car to my car space as soon as I had done this. She said if I didn't move it quickly my car would be locked in where it was & would cost me $350.00 to have it unlocked. I went straight back to my car to shift it to find a letter on my windscreen that stated just that. A great welcome at Cote D Azur. I went to see the receptionist as to why this would happen. The man that had enquired about which apartment I was in was either Management or a security man employed by Cote D Azur to police vehicle, as he had the time to ask me a question why did he not sate then what would happen if I continued to unload my car in (not my allocated parking?). The Apartment Manager hires a security company to do exactly what was done to me on a regular basis & people do indeed receive a $350.00 to have their unlocked.This is purely a revenue raising, disgusting thing to do. If this is what this business does all the time, they must make quite a bit of money. I have never known this to happen anywhere I have ever stayed & I have travelled extensively. The apartments are clean & spacious on a positive note, though maintenance needs to be done such as light bulbs not working, pantry door hanging off & a seat completely unscrewed on a dining chair. I will not be staying here again nor would I recommend here to anyone now or in the future. If you would like to feel you are in a gaol by all means stay here. Just a thought, how does the Manager & security monitor visitors car parks? This place is just out to make money in the lowest form. If you own one of these apartments this can only effect your customers returning. Very disappointed, holiday spoilt before it started!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Shelly R
Bradsplace, Manager at Cote D'Azur, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Hi Shelly,
Thank you for your review and I hope my response helps you to see our side of your concerns.
As to car spaces, the problem of being the only able person to unpack all of the luggage from the vehicles was not forwarded to our Reception staff at the time of check in. One of our helpful staff may have been able to put a plan in place to help you with your luggage transfers to your apartments.
On check in, we make it very clear that if you do park in the correct car space you do run the risk of Tyre clamping and fines applied, the basement has a number of signs to help make sure everyone is reminded of basement parking rules.
This rule try's to enforce that not only guests, but residents have the total use of the car space allocated to them whilst they stay with us. Please do not be offended by our Security staff doing their duty. As the Manager I receive phone calls on a frequent basis that someone is using someone else's allocated car space.
My point is that this is not a revenue grab, it is a way that our guest's receive what they paid for, their true and correct car space.
We have been complimented on this management strategy of our car spaces by a number of guest's and resident's.
I have been advised that our strategy's will be introduced into other complexes so you will probably find this more common in the future .
None of the maintenance issues that you mention where ever raised to my knowledge to any of our staff whilst you stayed with us, the minor issues you mention could of been rectified in a very short time.
I am sorry you felt like you stayed in a gaol but every aspect to try to make our guest's have a wonderful experience at Cote D Azur is our aim.
Just looking at our review stats, 48 enjoyable and 2 not, I think we do a very good job at keeping almost everyone happy.
I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and we hope you have wonderful holidays in the future.
Regards,
Brad Tudor
On-Site Manager
Port Macquarie, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

What a great place! Stayed for 4 nights and we really felt at home! Checking in the man on reception ( which i assume is the manger of the place) was extremely welcoming and friendly. We stayed in from 49 and what a room!!! It was huge and when i first walked in i felt right at home! It had a reclining lounge suite , big flat screen Tv with lots of Foxtell channels , each bedroom had its own TV, 2 bathrooms , the view from the Verandah overlooked the pool and you could see the bay aswell. Sadly due to the wet weather we didnt get a chance to use the pool or bbq area . Resort is close to everything! Coles is next door and its a 2 min walk to the main street with shops and restaurants . All in all had a very enjoyable and relaxing stay and cant wait to go back again sometime in the near future

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family