“Excellent”
Review of Oaks Lure

Oaks Lure
“Excellent”
Reviewed 23 December 2013 via mobile

Very nice place to stay, the reception staff was very helpful. Rooms are nice and give a refreshed feeling. Hotel is a walking distance from Marina. Swimming pool is small but good for kids with maintained temperature. Highly recommended to people who want to stay in Nelson Bay.

Stayed December 2013
OaksLure, Manager at Oaks Lure, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback with regard to your recent stay with us at Oaks Lure Apartments.
We are so pleased to hear that you were happy with your room and found our service friendly and helpful.
We are in a great location here in Nelson Bay being just a short stroll from the Marina and all it has to offer.
Again, we thankyou for staying with us and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

Really lovely accommodation. Very very family friendly. Friendly staff, helpful, beautifully clean... Pool is great with a small paddling area great for little ones. really lovely feel. clean comfy beds and bathrooms. Watch the stairs in the split level rooms, quite steep but manageable. We loved our stay. Other guests lovely, friendly and respectful. We wanted to stay longer. Will definitely be back. Thank you Oaks Lure!

• Stayed December 2013
OaksLure, Manager at Oaks Lure, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with Oaks Lure Apartments on your recent visit to Port Stephens.
Oaks Hotels & Resorts aim to provide the highest standard of accommodation and customer service to our valued guests. It is always wonderful to hear such great feedback.
It is great that you had the opportunity to relax and enjoy our lovely pool area whilst you were here.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your return visit to Nelson Bay.
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This service apartment was very large and had a well-equipped kitchen, lounge area, dining area and room. We stayed in a room that had 2 sub-set rooms inside...i.e. there was door which led to apartment "A" and then apartment "B" then there was a long staircase (which was very difficult for us to unload our luggage). There was a very large balcony and garden area but no view. Our bedroom was also right next to the where people walk from reception and didn't feel private. Price was very reasonable as we went during May. About a week after our stay staff called me and accused me of using the other apartment "B" and that there was evidence someone stayed there. I only travelled with my partner (2 of us) and felt very upset of this accusation. After the conversation there was no more follow up on this issue. But if someone did sneak into the other apartment, i would highly question the safety of this complex.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank siusin206
OaksLure, Manager at Oaks Lure, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Thankyou for taking the time to provide us with your feedback with regard to your stay with us at Oaks Lure apartments back in May this year.
It was pleasing to hear that you found your accomodation to be clean and spacious and of good value.
At times the requirements of our guests change with perhaps some extra family members wanting to stay in which we are more than happy to accomodate should there be availablity.
It is necessary for staff to follow up on guests from time to time to clarify a situation as this is an operational requirement. Please be assured that any phone call made from our office is purely to ask a question and not an accusation of any kind.
We hope you can appreciate the need for us to investigate different situations to ensure all of our guests experience the highest of customer service and also to experience the best stay possible.We hope to be able to welcome you back for a return visit in the future.
Reviewed 1 December 2013

From the outset I would like to state that I have absolutely no problem with the staff at The Oaks Lure @ Nelson Bay. Danielle & Leah were pleasant, polite & very helpful at all times. What I do have a problem with is the lack of full disclosure of what is & is not included in my booking fee. When the website says a King Size bed I don't expect 2 single beds pushed together on a King size base. Every Hotel/Motel I have stayed at for multiple nights includes in the booking price services such room cleaning, bed making, replacement towels & toilet paper etc. I found out later much to my disgust that you have to pay extra for what I feel are basic services. Disclose/state these facts on the 1st page of your Advertisement so I/We know what we are paying for before I pay my money & confirm my booking !!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Corkie292
OaksLure, Manager at Oaks Lure, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to Nelson Bay.
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.
It was lovely to hear your comments with regard to Leah & Danielle. All staff take great pride in giving the highest of customer service at all times.
With regard to your bedding these are King Size Spilt beds which have now become quite popular within the hospitality industry. They enable us to provide multiple bedding options to our guests which we find works very well. As we are Serviced apartment style accomodation we offer differnet rate package options to guests. If an unserviced package is selected by a guest we do charge extra for replacement of extra items required during their stay.This allows us to offer our rooms at a reduced rate which are great value. We do however offer daily servicing which included replenishment of all items daily should guests prefer to select the serviced rate option.
I appreciate your thoughts with regard to the above as we do understand that their is always room for improvement. We strive to have all guests experiance an enjoyable and comfortable stay with us here at Oaks Lure Apartments.
We hope to welcome you back again some time in the future.
Sydney
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I understand that the development has different categories of rooms. We stayed in a hotel style room on the road side. There we no views.

Everything about the accommodation is at best adequate. The room was small, a bit like walking into an Ikea demonstration suit. Clean, neat, simple, white, and cheap. Probably OK provided they plan to replace every 4 or 5 years. (It is due for an upgrade). The bed was a disgrace. They sell a King Size double bed which turns out to be two king size "single" beds out together. I hate “zipper beds” but this did not even have a zipper. So as we all expect, you find yourself waking during the night as you slide between the beds.

Bench space is limited, bathroom mirror is the smallest we have ever seen, TV is an older style (ie not flat screen), only one down light in the main part of the room. Bathroom exhaust fan sounded like a roadside jack hammer. The room included a refrigerator, microwave oven, tea making facilities, radio and DVD player and tissues, yippee. No blinds, only shear curtains and external "fins" or "blades" that can be closed or opened by hand after opening and leaning through a window. The room was air-conditioned. There are an insufficient number of power points. You have to crawl under the cheap Ikea style desk to put plugs in and out if you want tea and toast and you can't do that and have the radio/DVD player on. Bed end power points are hidden behind the bed, and it is a struggle to get to them. Power points are Important today with the number of electronic equipment we all carry around with us and which need to be charged. Congratulations though for having power points in the bathroom.

The swimming pool and surrounds are very nice and the water was a pleasant temperature. The pool faces north. As is common there are not nearly enough pool lounges or chairs for the number of rooms. Sad that they don’t provide pool towels. I am not sure I have come across this before. We were told to use our room towels, which were at this point wet and as the room aren't serviced daily, no chance of a dry towel. So, you need to pack your own pool towel!

It is within an easy walk to the main town and about a 10 minutes walk to nice breakfast cafes.

Service was friendly and OK. One of the light globes in the room had blown and it was quickly replaced.

As noted Oaks Lure is at best adequate and only while/if the rates are at the lower end of the range, say below $125 per night for a non view room, would I consider it again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SaleenXTRM
OaksLure, Manager at Oaks Lure, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for staying with us on your recent visit to Port Stephens.
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
As you did book our basic room type being the hotel room, these do only provide basic facilities for guests and enable us to offer affordable alternate booking options to our valued guests. We have some lovely 1bd and 2bd apartments which offer views and upgraded facilities.
Guests are offered different accommodation tarrifs which can include serviced or un serviced options. We would have been more than happy to offer you fresh towels at reception for a small fee throughout your stay. It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our position and lovely surrounds of Nelson Bay. Our pool area is really lovely and we are glad you had the opportunity to enjoy this popular area within our property.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future to Oaks Lure, or one of our many other properties.

Travellers are raving about these Nelson Bay hotels

Reviewed 10 October 2013

My friend and I stayed in this hotel in October. The location is not bad- walking distance to the Main Street of Nelson Bay. The room size is average. However we were quite disappointed about kitchenette facility- only a microwave. I expected to have a simple cook-top.

The room is clean but the cabinet is worn out. TV is the old style- not flat screen. The receptionists were friendly.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Melisa0926
OaksLure, Manager at Oaks Lure, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with Oaks Lure on your recent visit to Port Stephens.
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback.
I can see that you had booked a Hotel room for your stay, these rooms offer Tea/Coffee making facilites, microwave and toaster only. I think pehaps one of our 1bd or 2bd apartments may have been more suitable for you, they have spacious kitchens which include stove tops, oven, dishwasher, full size fridge etc. these are perfect for guests wishing to prepare meals. These room types also offer spacious rooms with seperate living areas and either a courtyard or balcony.
We are currently updating our units to include Flat screen TV's throughout.
I am pleased to hear that you found the service of our staff members pleasing and we do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back again in the future.
Kingsford, Australia
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The hotel is located far away from the major attraction, such as, Shoal bay. It is not in the walking distance. If you don't have your own means of transport, it is a terrible idea to stay in this hotel.
The apartment we stayed in this hotel has two floors, the living room areas is ok, but the TV is out-of-date, basically, it is not watchable..
However, the bedroom is very small, and stuffed. I can't even breath during sleep. Personally, I don't feel safe to leave the bedroom window open at night, so I woke up several times because I felt can't breath.
Moreover, the bathroom is quite small and slippery.
And the swimming is the smallest one I have never seen~
We planned to have a weekend getaway at Nelson bay, and we had to arrive very late on the day when checked-in.
First of all, I didn't receive any email or phone call from this hotel to tell us how to manage the late check-in process after I paid. I am a cautious person, so I rang the hotel to see if they have a special arrangement for late check-in guests. The first thing the operator asked for me is my credit card number for the bonds. I don't feel comfortable about this process. It made me feel like no one actually care whether we can get into the hotel building or not until we paid for the bonds. Plus, we had already paid for the price of the hotel room. It is so NOT friendly and inconvenient if other guests (i.e international travelers) don't know they need to call the hotel to arrange the late check-in. At the lease, it is common courtesy to send us an email to let us know what we need to do for the day of check-in.

Overall, this hotel is very disappointing to us.

Room Tip: Don't stay in this hotel if you except a decent sleep and walking distance to the attractions.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
OaksLure, Manager at Oaks Lure, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you for your recent feedback regarding your stay with us at Oaks Lure Apartments.
I was surprised to read your comments with regard to your stay with us.
Our property is located just a 5 min stroll to the Nelson Bay Marina in which there are many restaurants and cafes, cruise departures, parks and many beaches to choose from all within this same area. This is the major attraction and heart of Port Stephens. Shoal Bay is a neighbouring residential suburb of Nelson Bay and whilst it does share the same fantastic waterways it does not offer the same tourist attactions. Please be assured that our property is extremly safe. We have full security with access only available to our guests. Nelson Bay is a lovely area and we also provide the services of an on site caretaker after hours. As you booked your accommodation through a third party web site we were not provided with your phone number etc..however you would have received an email confirmation from the website confirming your stay/payment and providing you with full details of check-in requirements. I do recall your late arrival booking and can see our email corresponance in which we spoke with you prior to arrival to ensure ease of check-in. We aim to ensure all of our guests are provided with a comfortable and enjoyable stay and endeavour to provide the highest of customer service at all times.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nelson Bay
#13 of 16 in Nelson Bay
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort
#1 of 1 in Salamander Bay

Been to Oaks Lure? Share your experiences!