“Excellent Stay, Highly Recommended Property!!”
Review of Oaks Lure

Oaks Lure
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My partner and I decided to have a weekend away and wanted something close to the township of Nelson Bay, something affordable with views and an apartment style property. The Oaks Lure ticked all of our boxes. Leah and Danielle were great in the booking process and helpful during our stay. The 1 bedroom Bayview apartment we stayed in was great. The bedroom was large and the pillows were amazing I asked where they were originally from as they were literally the best pillows I has slept on. Kitchen was great and had everything we needed. The bathroom was modern and the balcony was great with great views. If I had to be picky the shower pressure wasn’t very strong and the room didn’t have curtains just an outside blind barrier sort of set up, but neither of these things affected our stay. Highly recommend this place if you are after a weekend away to relax and to be close to the hub of everything. We will be back again.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the 1 bedroom bayview apartment
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SarahMG
OaksLure, Manager at Oaks Lure, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Thankyou for your lovely review. It is wonderful to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us.
I will be sure to pass on your kind feedback to Leah & Danielle.
Its very pleasing to read your comments regarding your accomodatin, we do strive to ensure the cleanliness and comfort of our rooms are at the highest of standards.
We look forward to greeting you back again as our guest at Oaks Lure Apartments in the future.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment across 2 levels. The long staircase between the bedroom and living area/2nd bedroom was difficult for us. The apartment was spacious but there were quite a few niggling problems, e.g. insufficient and hard pillows, not enough soap, only one bedside lamp in the main bedroom, the lights in the kitchen area worked haphazardly, the plug for the sink did not seal so you could not fill the sink with dishwashing water and wash dishes before all the water drained. It would be helpful if there was a mirror in the main bedroom so that if the bathroom is occupied you can still access a mirror. The beds were very hard and uncomfortable. But by far the worst problem was the traffic noise right outside our bedroom. The apartment is located on the main access road into Nelson Bay and the traffic is fairly constant, including at night. We did not sleep well both nights because of the noise. I should also mention that when we first arrived we were given an apartment that had no blockout curtain in the main bedroom. There were only sheers on the window and some louvres on the outside. We tried to adjust the louvres so they would close but they were faulty and there were gaps between them which would have compromised our privacy and also allowed car headlights to shine right into the bedroom at night. When I called the receptionist about this she said that the rooms on that side of the building were not fitted with blockout curtains and we had to use the louvres. I asked to be put in another apartment, and we were moved to the one next door, exactly the same, but with blockout curtains on the window??!! Overall, the apartment was roomy but the beds, stairs and the noise meant we had an uncomfortable stay.

Room Tip: I think the apartments numbered with a 'B' are on the noisy, traffic side of the building.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TravellersCanberra
OaksLure, Manager at Oaks Lure, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments regarding your recent stay with us at Oaks Lure Apartments.
It is dissapointing to hear that some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations.
Whilst we are situated in a great location in Nelson Bay, we can understand that traffic noise can disturb some guests.
Our building has been designed to provide natural light and air flow and louvres to windows are a great feature of our property. I am happy to hear that our staff were able to accomodate your request by ensuring you were supplied some heavy curtains once your issues had been raised.
We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to find areas of which may need improving and hope to welcome you back to our lovely property again in the future.

Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights at their 1 bedroom bay view self contained apartment. The stay was pleasant and view was good. The receptionist was very nice and welcoming.
The downside was definitely the stairs up to the room. The carpark was super hot, like a big oven.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay. Will definitely consider coming back!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
OaksLure, Manager at Oaks Lure, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent visit to Nelson Bay.
It is wonderful to hear your positive feedback with regard to our customer service and overall experience of your accomodation.
We look forward to welcoming you back again on your return visit to the area.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I was fairly impressed with this place, it was clean and the front desk was very welcoming. the only problem i had was my bedroom light wasn't working and i couldn't breath in the carpark. I also thought the pool area could've been bigger as i never had the opportunity to use it because everytime i looked down, there was too many people down there. besides that it was a good hotel for a place not in a main city.

Room Tip: higher levels for better views
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelbuddd123
OaksLure, Manager at Oaks Lure, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback.
Its wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during your recent visit to Port Stephens.
I am happy to know you found our service friendly and accomodation at a high standard.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 9 February 2014

We arrived at lunch time form the hunter valley to our 2 bed room apartment. The place is a modern block with a contemporary furnishings. We were on the top floor so had a good view of the surrounding bay. The apartment was split over 2 levels ,entry level was a bed room and shower room and cook bits tv and a fridge, upstairs the main room had another bed and shower room and a living area which had the full set up from over to dishwasher. The balcony was quiet a good side so this was a good set up for 4 and we had another bed in the lounge so that fitted 5 adults. So nothing to complain about good clean place and modern. Thanks for a nice stay. The staff at the reception were helpful, polite and efficient.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
OaksLure, Manager at Oaks Lure, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for choosing Oaks Lure Apartments during your recent visit to Port Stephens.
We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback.
It is wonderful to know how much you enjoyed your stay with us. We take great pride in offering the highest of customer service and accomodation to our guests and it is always great to hear that our property and staff reflect this.
It was our pleasure to have you stay with us and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Our weekend did not get off to a great start. Upon arrival we were trapped in elevator. After 5 mins of being stuck & numerous attempts of seeking assistance, we were finally assisted by Asian cleaners who couldn't speak English. Curtains were sheer organza- waking at day break each morning. So annoying. Air conditioner wasn't properly operational. No fly screen on windows either... Thick layer of dust behind beds on skirting boards & carpet. No pillow protectors on pillows- yellow staining. Foul smell from drains in bathroom. Free half hour of Wi fi as stated on paper- we didn't get that. Outdated appliances. Unprofessional staff interaction from Elanore, very poor phone manner. Only positive was the location. I would not recommend this place & will never stay here again. I work in the industry & this place has a lot to improve on.

Room Tip: I would not stay here
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank STP1977

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback with regard to your recent stay with us.
We appreicate your comments and would like to have the opportunity to address any issues personally. Please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss.

Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Don't bother paying extra for the 'bayview'. Our window faced out onto a white wall and fire exit rather than the pristine view shown in promotional material. Chance of approx. 6 of 15 rooms to be as advertised that so it's the luck of the draw. I was told our room would be taken off the 'bayview' list so hopefully that has happened.

Due to a lack of training in complaint protocols and follow ups I was told to email my room complaint through when I'd been to reception several times asking for the manager, which was incorrect. I did not speak with the manager for the 5 nights of my stay - trust me - not without a lack of trying. Only when I had left was my complaint was addressed and while I was satisfied with the apology and response it has left me with a very sour taste in my mouth and I won't stay at any Oaks hotel again.

I emailed the complaints service and received an automatic reply saying I would be contacted within 3 days. A month later and I have heard nothing.

Service/non-serviced. Good idea but needs to be made clearer at the time of booking. I was disappointed it wasn't included as standard when I arrived only because I wasn't aware. This added salt to the wound and I didn't want to pay any more than I already was especially during peak time.

Room was clean and tidy. Nice bathroom but shocking water pressure. Desperately need a new tv with better reception and an actual quilt cover rather than just a '2 flat sheet sandwich'. Could do with better cooking utensils + appliance maintenance. Unexplainable random loud banging noises came from my ceiling every night.

Free under cover parking was great. It's included as standard so the 'first in best dressed' rule was fine.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Barla004
OaksLure, Manager at Oaks Lure, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback with regard to your recent stay with us at Oaks Lure Apartments.
It was lovely to talking with you recently, I am most pleased to be able to have personally addressed these issues with you, and to provide you with a positive outcome to which I am very happy you were satisfied with.
It is our aim to provide the highest of customer service to all of our guests.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nelson Bay
2 mi away
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort
Oaks Pacific Blue Resort
#1 of 1 in Salamander Bay

Been to Oaks Lure? Share your experiences!