“OK but Not Outstanding”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Nowra
Campbell River, Canada
“OK but Not Outstanding”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We had two rooms in the Parkhaven one at either end of the row of rooms at the back of the motel both my brother & I made the same comment, there was a smell in the rooms. It wasn't a bad smell as such but not overly pleasant either. We did notice plug in smelly things in the wall outlet so it could have been that. The rooms were clean & comfortable enough it just the smell I didn't like. My wife didn't seem bothered by it so maybe it was me being over sensitive although my brothers room seemed worse than ours. The location is quiet enough but apart from the restaurant next door there didn't seem to be any other restaurants in the area. Lots of fast food though. I always ask myself, would I stay there again? I would probably try somewhere else

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I have read some of the recent negative reviews for this motel and I am now wondering if I stayed at the same place! Our stay of several days was very good. The location is convenient - central and a short distance to the highway, but not noisy! The room was clean, well appointed and not dusty. The bathroom was also clean. The cleaning staff we spoke to were friendly. The establishment as a whole has been well maintained and is aging well. We would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AussieBJ
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This motel is close to the main shopping centre, but sufficiently far from main roads that street noise is not a problem. I spent a pleasant enough evening on my way to the south coast of NSW. The rooms were clean and comfortable, reception a little peremptory - "here's your key, park up the back", but all in all there was little to complain about, nor little to overtly praise.

Service in the restaurant was homely, but my lamb cutlets were cremated, rather than cooked - actually they were inedible.

If I go to the south coast again (not really likely) I may stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2013

So it is in fortunate I have to write this but to say disappointed at the least doesn't quit cut it.
After having a hideous trip down the coast stuck in road works and behind several trucks we arrive at the motel just on 6 and were greeted by two children fighting in the reception only to then hear their mother scream at them to get inside. Although she was apologetic about this behaviour as she wasn't aware we were there.
My wife had previously confirmed our booking the night before. When we went to check in we were told it would be $150 for the night and when we booked we were told it was $130. We queried this and were told that we must be mistaken. Save anymore dramas from the last 4 hectic hours I paid the money so we could go and rest.
The key didn't seem to work in the glass sliding door and were told to use the other entrance,
Upon entering the room the smell of the air fresher was intense as to open both doors to let the place get some fresh air, except being winter it was extremely fresh air we had to endure.
All said and done we kicked back to get a little rest.
When I went to the bathroom I was quite impressed with the shower and toiletries provided although there were mould spots on the tiles and the basins need a good clean to get rid of the red ring in the plug hole. Bed was comfortable yet Internet had a weak slow signal.
End conclusion I wouldn't stay here again I think I may try one of the other motels in Nowra next time I need one.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim B
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2013

The room that I was allocated had a mysterious door at the end of the bed. As the night went on it became clear that this door went through to the owner's apartment and wasn't all that sound proof. Kids playing and muffled conversations kept me from an early night as they didn't stop until about 23:20.

The room and linen was ok, a reasonable size and in reasonable although not 100% condition (stain on linen and worn towels, malfunctioning TV remote). More attention needed to be given to the cleaning, however, as there was a half eaten bag of chips in the cupboard, a mostly-eaten lolly next to the bed where the carpet met the wall and I was not confident of the cleanliness of the cutlery/crockery, of which there was a surprising supply of knives and teaspoons but not a lot else.

Unusually there was also not the usual list and description of local restaurants and services I am used to finding in hotels, so it was lucky I had a dongle with me as the wi-fi was slow and kept dropping out.

On the plus side the bed was comfortable enough, and although there appeared to be debris on it the inside sheets appeared clean, the air con was quick at warming up the room and the beds had electric sheets which was pleasant.

The person that greeted me at reception was not particularly welcoming - not rude, just gave me the impression she didn't really want to be there.

Whilst not relevant to me on this trip I noticed the pool is pretty tiny, if you want a nice pool that the whole family will fit then this place is probably not for you.

Room Tip: Unfortunately, I would recommend requesting a room at a different establishment.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Topher W
Cooma, Australia
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Stayed one night when in Nowra for work. Location is excellent, and central to the "CBD" of Nowra. Rooms were clean and quiet, aircon worked a treat, and staff were very friendly. I would stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank RuthS529
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Check in and out was very easy. The room was very clean and tidy, the bed was very comfortable. The pool is tiny and more like a soaking pool than a swimming pool, but it might be good for kids to splash in. The bathroom was very nice with a large tub/shower with whirlpool jets. The room shuts out the noise which is good because at sunrise and sunset, there are lots of very vocal birds in the Eucalyptus trees behind the hotel and next to the park across the street. The birds are so noisy, you can hardly carry on a conversation on the phone while they are carrying on. Actually, it was fun leaving the balcony window open to hear so much happy bird noise. The wireless internet coverage was spotty in my room and I had to place devices strategically to make it work, a little inconvenient, but not impossible to use. The restaurant was excellent. I got the "cook it yourself" flank steak on the hot rock slab which was cooked to perfection :) and tasted great. All services I requested and needed were prompt and taken care of quickly and with a smile. Would be happy to stay here again when in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side of the parking lot are 1 story and the balcony faces Marriott Park, a quiet l...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Allegro1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nowra
Quest Nowra
Best Western Balan Village Motel Nowra
Avaleen Lodge Motor Inn
Avaleen Lodge Motor Inn
#2 of 3 in Bomaderry

Been to Parkhaven Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!