“Price over phone different to arriving”

Parkhaven Motor Lodge
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Nowra
Wollongong, Australia
“Price over phone different to arriving”
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We choose this hotel for the convenience of the cross country, I had a look on wotif and price was a total of $140.00 for the night x3(queen bed and a single), We mention this price when we called and was told the same price so we booked it, once we arrive we were told the bill was $150.00 for the night, My daughter had booked also for herself and a 2 yr old and was still charge for the same rate(her room was a queen bed) as I even though I had 3, I told them that when I put it through wotif that the total bill was $140.00 her response was we can put what we want up on wotif, and it was for 1 person only even though I had mention I had put in 3 guest total bill was $140.00 she was adamant that I was wrong and she was right. Once I paid the bill at the dearer amount I went to my room, was clean and tidy, the sliding door wouldn't shut I had to use all my force to shut it by lifting a heavy glass/aluminium door to lock it. I also realised that I was only supplied with 2 towels even though I booked for 3, by the time the kids were ready for a shower reception was closed so I had to do with the two towels, overall experience service was poor and didnt care what price I was paying this will be out last visit to this hotel.

Room Tip: If you see the price on needit now or wotif pay for it there and then dont call and book for that pr...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Shazza1469

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Canberra
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Our car broke down in the vicinity of Nowra and I rang around for last minute accomodation in the area. The receptionist Teneille sounded so nice on the phone and when we arrived their we had a friendly welcome. The room was large and clean with a good shower. The motel has a restaurant called the Rock grill where my partner and I had the best meal we have had for I don't know how long. Steak and salmon cooked on hot rocks with a couple of bottles of Zeppelin Shiraz went down very well. The three course meal was $32 per person. Fantastic value. The assistant manager Fiona at the restaurant was doing a great job under enormous pressure. Rarely have I seen a restaurant so busy especially in the off season. This experience turned a bad situation on its head and we went to sleep in the quiet room very happy.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank swizzler2
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I generally check comments on Trip Advisor when selecting accommodation but in this case the Motel was in the right place at the right time. It was fine and comfortable and the host was friendly and offered good advice as to where was best to eat. Would stay here again. Thought it was a bit expensive at $150 but perhaps that's the normal for this area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Campbell River, Canada
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We had two rooms in the Parkhaven one at either end of the row of rooms at the back of the motel both my brother & I made the same comment, there was a smell in the rooms. It wasn't a bad smell as such but not overly pleasant either. We did notice plug in smelly things in the wall outlet so it could have been that. The rooms were clean & comfortable enough it just the smell I didn't like. My wife didn't seem bothered by it so maybe it was me being over sensitive although my brothers room seemed worse than ours. The location is quiet enough but apart from the restaurant next door there didn't seem to be any other restaurants in the area. Lots of fast food though. I always ask myself, would I stay there again? I would probably try somewhere else

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I have read some of the recent negative reviews for this motel and I am now wondering if I stayed at the same place! Our stay of several days was very good. The location is convenient - central and a short distance to the highway, but not noisy! The room was clean, well appointed and not dusty. The bathroom was also clean. The cleaning staff we spoke to were friendly. The establishment as a whole has been well maintained and is aging well. We would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AussieBJ
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2013

This motel is close to the main shopping centre, but sufficiently far from main roads that street noise is not a problem. I spent a pleasant enough evening on my way to the south coast of NSW. The rooms were clean and comfortable, reception a little peremptory - "here's your key, park up the back", but all in all there was little to complain about, nor little to overtly praise.

Service in the restaurant was homely, but my lamb cutlets were cremated, rather than cooked - actually they were inedible.

If I go to the south coast again (not really likely) I may stay there.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2013

So it is in fortunate I have to write this but to say disappointed at the least doesn't quit cut it.
After having a hideous trip down the coast stuck in road works and behind several trucks we arrive at the motel just on 6 and were greeted by two children fighting in the reception only to then hear their mother scream at them to get inside. Although she was apologetic about this behaviour as she wasn't aware we were there.
My wife had previously confirmed our booking the night before. When we went to check in we were told it would be $150 for the night and when we booked we were told it was $130. We queried this and were told that we must be mistaken. Save anymore dramas from the last 4 hectic hours I paid the money so we could go and rest.
The key didn't seem to work in the glass sliding door and were told to use the other entrance,
Upon entering the room the smell of the air fresher was intense as to open both doors to let the place get some fresh air, except being winter it was extremely fresh air we had to endure.
All said and done we kicked back to get a little rest.
When I went to the bathroom I was quite impressed with the shower and toiletries provided although there were mould spots on the tiles and the basins need a good clean to get rid of the red ring in the plug hole. Bed was comfortable yet Internet had a weak slow signal.
End conclusion I wouldn't stay here again I think I may try one of the other motels in Nowra next time I need one.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Nowra
Quest Nowra
Pleasant Way River Lodge
Nowra Motor Inn
Nowra Motor Inn
#5 of 9 in Nowra

Been to Parkhaven Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!