“Fawlty towers in the southern highlands”

The Robertson Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Robertson
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The rudest most unhelpful person running the place (carol). The simplest request was invariably responded to with a no. The building and location are fabulous even if run down.
The "buffet" breakfast was watery scrambled eggs, poor quality bacon and stale cereal. Instant coffee only.
The place was overpriced but if Carol had've been more accommodating and less incompetent I wouldn't have minded.
Wouldn't recommend it, wont go back.
As Nat326 has reviewed I hope someone helps this old girl out because with the way it's being run it wont be open much longer

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
13  Thank Fabio F

Reviewed 16 February 2014

We took a trip to the Southern Highlands today and stopped off at Fountaindale Manor for a Devonshire tea as we have done in the past. My memories were not disappointed. We had great coffee and hot chocolate, beautiful homemade, warm scones, fresh whipped cream and plenty of home made raspberry jam! Yum! This house is just charming and the staff very welcoming. We should all support this grand old building and it's facilities. I have stayed here as well for a staff retreat in the past and just loved the charm of yesteryear and appreciate the hardwork it would be to maintain and run a place like this. Thankyou!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank POB_43
Reviewed 13 December 2013

It is such a pity this old building has been left to rot. I have stayed in places a lot older and heaps better maintained. It looks like a cheap b & b in London that you pay half the price to stay. I hope somebody helps this old girl out, it could be an amazing place. The staff are some what friendly, just don't ask for a piece of paper. They keep tabs on the paper and will tell you if you ask for more then one. They also seem worried that you will take their pen. My bed was uncomfortable, could feel every spring, but somebody else I know had a much more comfortable bed. You need the shower on full hot to have a warm temp. Very run down in the rooms, everything looks dirty. Was not keen on the food either, very plain. They should consider lowering the price, can get better in sydney for the price paid.

Room Tip: Try and get the price down, not worth the money
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nat326
carol p, Owner at The Robertson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2013

I struggle with these types of reviews and have taken time to write this response so I get write it not from the heart but in a commonsense type of view.
Ignorance comes to mind when people do not do do their homework and find out facts before they write their reviews. Also honesty and writing all the facts goes a long way.
For the staff and management of Fountaindale , all their hard work and long hours seems to be dismissed in a moment due to someone writing a review in ignorance Disappointing and disheartening if my initial reaction.
As a team, we have worked hard, bringing a local icon back for the majority of Australians to enjoy for centuries to come, therefore when we hear comments like this one, it is depressing.
I would not like you to have you as friends - enough said!!

Reviewed 12 November 2013

How anyone could dislike this grand old lady is beyond me. From the moment you turn into the drive, it is magical. I was skeptical after reading the reviews and wondered how bad it would be, but I LOVED it. It is very grand indeed. The reception staff are VERY friendly (I guess if you are nice, they will be nice. Have a think about that). Yes the bathrooms are original but wow, what a view from a lovely old fashioned hot shower! The bedrooms were light and airy and very comfortable. The main staircase is breathtaking, and with piped music from the 1930s and 1940s it was pure magic. The function room was lovely too along with the catering. I am coeliac and was catered for extremely well. Would I stay there again? Definitely.

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank leannepo
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The best and only good thing I can say about this place is the gardens are gorgeous. Lovely to stroll through and sit a read a book which is exactly what I did to escape the mouldy unpleasant room and unfriendly staff inside the 'grand manor'. I love an old building with original features and its own quirkiness so felt excited to be staying there. Only my excitement was short lived when I was meet with a grunt from the receptionist staff and then left unattended for way too long before being given my room key. Once in my room I could've cried. It was dark and dingy and the bathroom was manky and mouldy but after seeing the share showers reminded myself things can always be worse... Robertson itself is a lovely little town and enjoyed strolling through the lush country side.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Ordella
Reviewed 25 September 2013

went there with friends for Christmas in July - it was freezing! no heating unless you asked for it, the open fires were totally inefficient, even when the place was full.
The people, food were great, and the accommodation was fairly basic.

Room Tip: give winter a miss..
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jane H
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My three adult children and their partner went their courtesy of me as a Christmas present. They are all very different and one couple vegetarian - they all loved it. The food was great , the building in its time and the people very friendly . They all went at different times

Room Tip: Ask for a room with an ensuite as there are some with shared bathrooms
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PMD801
Also consider these accommodations in or near Robertson
Peppers Manor House
Gibraltar Hotel Bowral
Links House
Links House
#1 of 9 in Bowral

Been to The Robertson Hotel? Share your experiences!