“Xmas Experience in July”

The Robertson Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Robertson
Sydney, Australia
“Xmas Experience in July”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I struggle to write this review as I know from reading the many reviews and owners responses that this is very much a labour of love for them so I'm sorry to give an overall negative review. Unfortunately whilst the building has fantastic bones and you can totally imagine the grandieur once it is done, its going to take major capital to bring it to that stage. A group of friends and I stayed for Xmas in July 2014. The best part of our stay, besides each others company, was the effort of putting up Christmas decorations, the roaring fires, friendly staff.. but that was where the love affair ended. I'm a fit person so didn't mind getting my bag up multiple flights of stairs but older, unfit and less mobile guests might struggle. One of my friends was in a King Suite and that seemed nice enough but bathroom shabby, another friend in Queen Room and another in the Heritage Room. The Heritage room was small and smelly. All rooms where cold. There was one bathrobe in each room. Are people supposed to share that?They have electric blankets, but for me personally I was only there to put my head down after catching up with friends. It was my friend that complained. However what really let the experience down for me was the cost of the Xmas in July dinner and breakfast the next day. Basic roast dinner with desert for $70. Things kept running out and you could make better at home. Not even close to nearly fine dining. More like bistro. Breakfast was very basic, three cereals, three types of bread, scrambled eggs and bacon. Worst part instant coffee in a jar. My friend who is dairy and meat free couldn't eat anything as no fruit. Bar/cafe not open so you couldn't buy a real coffee. After reading other reviews I came with an open mind and I didn't see sinks held up by wood, but I felt really ripped off with the Xmas in July dinner price for what you got. I hope that the owners continue on with their dream of restoring such a fantastic old property but without charging such exhorbidant prices for what you get.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We met family for our yearly reunion. This year we chose to have Christmas in July lunch at Fountaindale Grand Manor. From the time we walked in the door we were treated as VIP's every staff member we came across couldn't be more friendly or helpful We were helped with placing our gifts for family in a safe place along with showing us around the shops, where to get a cup of hot chocolate ect. Lunch was fantastic loads of delicious food no one went hungry. I'm almost positive that we all will be back! Thanks for the experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank bowterra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

A visit to the Fountaindale Manor was prompted by amazing Christmas Trees dotting the property and entrance plus a sign stating ' Lolly Shop' so we were in like flynn!
The hotel had a Christmas Lunch happening throughout July, devonshire and high tea rooms featuring wonderful open fires, Christmas decoration room, lolly shop and gift shop. Possibly 200 people present throughout the hotel dressed in an array of Christmas hats and finery - similar to a 1920s film set.
We enjoyed a devonshire tea and the silver teapots marvellous scones and spreads were a joy. The lunch looked delicious, the politeness and helpfullness was great and the attendees were having a wonderful time. There is accomodation if required and the Cockatoo Run Steam Train will take vistors to the hotel(they have their own railway station) when the train running.
A great lunch was available at $49.95 and a dinner available with seafood at $69.95. Bookings are required for the lunch/dinner but not for the morning/afternoon teas. It was also nice towander around the grounds and the specialty shops in the town of Robertson. The manor was built in 1924 and was awarded the 'Most luxurious hotel in the Commonwealth' in 1925. Things have changed since then and it has passed through many hands including a Franciscan friary and is now a fully operating back to a fully operating hotel.
Worth a visit and it would be great to take a group of friends to truly celebrate a cold Christmas in July celebration (8 degrees today).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nanette T
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

The rudest most unhelpful person running the place (carol). The simplest request was invariably responded to with a no. The building and location are fabulous even if run down.
The "buffet" breakfast was watery scrambled eggs, poor quality bacon and stale cereal. Instant coffee only.
The place was overpriced but if Carol had've been more accommodating and less incompetent I wouldn't have minded.
Wouldn't recommend it, wont go back.
As Nat326 has reviewed I hope someone helps this old girl out because with the way it's being run it wont be open much longer

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
13 Thank Fabio F

Travellers are raving about these Robertson hotels

Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

We took a trip to the Southern Highlands today and stopped off at Fountaindale Manor for a Devonshire tea as we have done in the past. My memories were not disappointed. We had great coffee and hot chocolate, beautiful homemade, warm scones, fresh whipped cream and plenty of home made raspberry jam! Yum! This house is just charming and the staff very welcoming. We should all support this grand old building and it's facilities. I have stayed here as well for a staff retreat in the past and just loved the charm of yesteryear and appreciate the hardwork it would be to maintain and run a place like this. Thankyou!

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank POB_43
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

It is such a pity this old building has been left to rot. I have stayed in places a lot older and heaps better maintained. It looks like a cheap b & b in London that you pay half the price to stay. I hope somebody helps this old girl out, it could be an amazing place. The staff are some what friendly, just don't ask for a piece of paper. They keep tabs on the paper and will tell you if you ask for more then one. They also seem worried that you will take their pen. My bed was uncomfortable, could feel every spring, but somebody else I know had a much more comfortable bed. You need the shower on full hot to have a warm temp. Very run down in the rooms, everything looks dirty. Was not keen on the food either, very plain. They should consider lowering the price, can get better in sydney for the price paid.

Room Tip: Try and get the price down, not worth the money
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nat326
carol p, Owner at The Robertson Hotel, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
I struggle with these types of reviews and have taken time to write this response so I get write it not from the heart but in a commonsense type of view.
Ignorance comes to mind when people do not do do their homework and find out facts before they write their reviews. Also honesty and writing all the facts goes a long way.
For the staff and management of Fountaindale , all their hard work and long hours seems to be dismissed in a moment due to someone writing a review in ignorance Disappointing and disheartening if my initial reaction.
As a team, we have worked hard, bringing a local icon back for the majority of Australians to enjoy for centuries to come, therefore when we hear comments like this one, it is depressing.
I would not like you to have you as friends - enough said!!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

How anyone could dislike this grand old lady is beyond me. From the moment you turn into the drive, it is magical. I was skeptical after reading the reviews and wondered how bad it would be, but I LOVED it. It is very grand indeed. The reception staff are VERY friendly (I guess if you are nice, they will be nice. Have a think about that). Yes the bathrooms are original but wow, what a view from a lovely old fashioned hot shower! The bedrooms were light and airy and very comfortable. The main staircase is breathtaking, and with piped music from the 1930s and 1940s it was pure magic. The function room was lovely too along with the catering. I am coeliac and was catered for extremely well. Would I stay there again? Definitely.

• Stayed November 2013
4 Thank leannepo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Robertson
Peppers Manor House
#1 of 9 in Bowral
Peppers Craigieburn
The Sebel Harbourside Kiama
Briars Country Lodge & Inn

Been to The Robertson Hotel? Share your experiences!