“Looks can be deceiving ”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Sanoma Food and Wine - CLOSED

Sanoma Food and Wine
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Looks can be deceiving ”
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

So the family decided to give this place a try after reading the below average reviews. And to our surprise the reviews were true.
Upon walking in the atmosphere is amazing. It is what I vivid that we needed for shellharbour. Amazing open shutter windows and a great looking bar. Our table was well set out and we loved the space that was provided as it didn't feel like you were sitting next to a stranger while you are eating. The waitress shortly then arrived and asked if we would like some drinks. Thankfully all the wines we requested were avaliable. Couldn't fault the wine, however I did agree with a previous review if this place is meant to be a wine bar, don't use cheap $2 glasses. Our entrees and mains were ordered. After 10 mins the waitress returned and explained that at 0700pm they had no salmon left. (How go you run out of salmon already??) so we ordered the pork belly. Our entrees shortly arrived after about 20mins. We had ordered two of the tasting platters which we fairly nice, couldn't really fault them. Great presentation. The pork belly was to die for. And I was looking forward to getting my main which was pork belly with a side of scallops. My fiancée got the ribeye. When the mains were brought out they looked amazing. Looks can be deceiving. The pork belly was well undercooked. It was not seasoned and was near impossible to cut through with the butter knife we were given. The rib eye was cooked well. A couple who was sitting opposite us were complaining about there meal saying the pasta was not cooked. The waitress was actually arguing with the couple and asked them if they were chefs. Desert was then on the agenda. And I wouldn't feed it to my dog. It took 1hour to serve cheese cake. Overall over priced. Will not return. So much potential.....

6 Thank Peter H
871SusanM, Owner at Sanoma Food and Wine, responded to this review, 16 November 2013
To begin, I would like to thankyou for acknowledging that we have a great atmosphere. And that we do make an effort to make our guests feel comfortable and not crammed in.
I would however like to point out a few things.
I know sometimes no matter how hard we try,things do some times not go right, or how we would really like them to.
I am glad the Wine you ordered was available.Sometimes a particular Wine is not available. This is because when opening we made a conscious decision to only offer Australian Wines.For two reasons; 1- some of the best Wines in the world at the the moment are Australian. 2- to support local Artisan Australian wineries. Unfortunately with little or no notice at all, some of these Wines are completely out of supply.When suppliers are out, we're out.
We have never advertised ourselves as being a Wine Bar. And that we are NOT.
We are child friendly, family friendly, group friendly and as you pointed out tables and lounges are set far enough apart to be couple friendly.
We are Sanoma food & wine, because we wanted to create an establishment that provided good FOOD & good WINE. Somewhere people could relax and just have a glass of wine or a great coffee.The glasses we serve our wine in are varied. They are not $2 glasses. Being simplistic does not mean cheap.
It was I who took your order.Unfortunatly, prior to your order, we had already done 30 seatings.I do apologise for running out of Salmon. I did however return immediately, at which I was very apologetic.I would however always prefer to serve fresh Salmom and run out.
You mentioned your fiancé got Rib-Eye.We have only ever served the best quality Eye Fillet at an extremely reasonable price.
The Pork Belly in mention was slow roasted for 12hrs. Twice cooked. The exact same as was on your tasting plate. Just a larger cut so not as crispy.We have taken this on board, thankyou, and are now serving a different way.
It was a extreme disappointment and very upsetting to be accused of arguing with a guest.The guest you mentioned, I was in fact having a conversation with; was a Chef; and left with her Husband very happy.
I am in the service industrie because I enjoy, and want to provide as do of my staff, guests with the best dining experience as possible.
The $6.50 Baked Wildberry Cheesecake you would not feed to your dog, we have never had a complaint about. In fact everyone has always loved our $6.50 desserts. There was our Chef created desserts available, and your family did seem to enjoy them.
In all I sincerely apologise, that your dining experience, was not as you had hoped. It certainly was not how I would have hoped your impression of Sanoma would be.For that I am sorry.
I do however know, both myself and staff gave you and your family, great,professional, efficient happy, attentive service, and sadly comments can also be deceiving .

“What the??”
Reviewed 19 October 2013

When we arrived there was confusion about where we could sit and which main meals were still available. We ordered after a large group and were told our meals would be 30 minutes and given comp garlic bread. When our meals arrived after an hour we were given a comp drink. My partners wine glass from his first drink was taken before he finished. No one approached us during the hour to explain the wait. Main meals were average when they arrived.
Dessert and coffee were the highlight but slow to arrive. PMy partner was given a soup spoon for his dessert and I received the most disgusting, dirty spoon ever. The waiter swapped this for a soup spoon too.
Just be honest about waiting times and improve main meals so they match the description in the menu. Also ask your mum which spoons go with which course. Overall very disappointing.

• Visited October 2013
5 Thank Danlover1000
Launceston, Australia
“Good breakfast”
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

Had breakfast here with three different selections tasted. Hot cakes with berry sauce delicious and the others 2 breakfasts well presented and tasty. Service ok and did apologise for any wait time. Would breakfast here again.

Visited October 2013
wollongong
“Cannot recommend”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Went here for a celebratory occasion despite the mixed reviews. The service was the highlight for us with all staff quite attentive if not overly knowledgeable. From the start the glassware was a disappointment, if I'm going to a venue that calls itself a wine bar I don't expect the same glasses used in a cheap takeaway store. The first 2 wines selected were unavailable, the waiter sensed our displeasure and returned the third time with a 'substituted' bottle. Again, not what was requested from the list.
Entree didn't do much to redeem matters when a 'tasting plate' presented 4 variations of fried goods.
The mains looked stunning and had obviously been assembled with care, I could hardly fault the salmon. The pork belly was clumsy though and too tough to cut with the supplied cutlery. Once the meat was cut it was apparent the cause of the texture was a lack of cooking. The pork was clearly underdone despite being 'cooked in a master stock for 4hrs'. Again, the staff were very apologetic and offered complimentary drinks or dessert as a result. The dessert was chocolate Ganache and sorbet. Looks were again the highlight but the sorbet had melted by the time it reached the table and being served on a flat tile made consumption difficult.
There is a lot of promise here, but that is all it is at this stage

• Visited September 2013
5 Thank jone5y
Shellharbour, Australia
“If you could only improve your service ......”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

As a local resident, I have been to Sanoma a number of times....

I love their food - especially the local produce
They have a great selection of wines
They have a lovely alfresco dining style

..... but every time I've been to Sanoma I've found their service is lacking.

It takes so long for the orders to arrive ...even ordering at the counter does not seem to help.
I have a compulsion to get behind the bar and pour my own wine and make my own cheese platter.

It could be so easy to up their ante and get a regular patronage ...if only they reviewed similar comments from other diners!!

• Visited May 2013