“Wow, a special place for families”

Kianinny Bush Cottages
Ranked #1 of 3 Tathra B&B and Inns
Traralgon, Australia
“Wow, a special place for families”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We recently (Sept 2013), spent 16 days at the resort. It was the third time and remains our favourite holiday destination. The cedar cabins were emaculate, well furnished and clean. The outdoor facilities from pool to tennis court was well maintained. All these facilities were wonderful for our children. What takes my breath away each time we visit is the resorts scenery, wildlife and forest bush walks. With the great hosts and staff at the resort we are returning in January 2014. I highly recommend the resort to all seeking hospitality and a relaxing family destination.
Special Memories

Room Tip: Recommend cabin number 10
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Gregory B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We generally had a pleasant stay at Kianinny Resort but we were disappointed with aspects of our stay. The mattress in the main bedroom had lost its spring....would suit honeymooners as it encouraged you to roll to the centre of the bed, but we barely slept a wink. The water pressure in the cabins was next to a dribble, and every time I openedd the curtains in the main bedroom to view the beautiful morning greeting me, the curtain rod would fall down. My main gripe was that the resort offered a games room and mini golf but this was all at an extra charge....and the golf wasn't cheap. The solar heated pool was freezing....the beach was warmer. We mostly enjoyed our trip but I would not return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Neek2013
Kianinny, Owner at Kianinny Bush Cottages, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
We are pleased that your stay at Kianinny was generally pleasant however we are concerned that you found some aspects of your stay disappointing as we gauge our performance entirely on customer feedback. Its important for guests to make us aware if they have a problem so that we can work on rectifying the situation.
As one might expect there are often aspects of comments that are subjective and sometimes its important to look for and subsequently act on trends in what people are saying. I think you have a valid point with regards the games room charge for the Pool Table and as a result we will be removing the money slot from the table. The free activities on site include table tennis, canoeing, volley ball, basketball, tennis, walking tracks, swimming, badminton and we provide free board games, books and DVDs. The 18 hole Mini Golf course which many have viewed as the best on the South Coast requires a great deal of upkeep. We feel a family pass ( 5-6 people) for a total of $10.00 is not unreasonable.
On your departure we noted your reference on the “Comments Form” referring to the loose curtain rod. Having been reinstalled just prior to your arrival and subsequent to the room being painted, we discovered the bracket screw hadn’t been fully tightened. It was a two second job which had we been made aware during your stay, would have rectified immediately.
I’m at a loss to understand the water pressure comments. Like you I hate showers that dribble. We are on town water supply and after literally hundreds and hundreds of room nights we have never had a complaint about Kianinnys water pressure. I have just checked the shower and found it to be fine.
We would agree that the pool is cool in September but as advertised it is solar heated and we are just coming off the back of shorter and cooler winter days. Having said that I think we can improve the situation next year by using a night cover.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I've been visiting Kianinny Resort for years and am pleased to say that its charm and tranquility have never faltered! It's a wonderful place; perfect for a relaxing weekend getaway or a much longer break.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Tasmania, Australia
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I stayed here on an overnight trip along the south coast. Tremendous bush setting, tranquil, and very comfortable. Loved the log fire and found the Superior Cabin to be just that! I was very glad of the covered carport for my bike because of the heavy winds dropping some deadfall occasionally.

Tatura is a gem of a spot, thoroughly recommend Kianinny!! Nice fish and chips in town.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We are a family of 4, 2 adults, 2 young children who stayed in a superior cabin. From beginning to end, the service we recieved was exceptional. The kids enjoyed the bush setting and loved the activities (especially the tennis courts!). The cabin was nicely presented, and after a fantastic day at the beach which is only a few minutes away, we enjoyed a relaxing evening next to the wood fire. We will definitely be back!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank b y
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 14 July 2013

My family and I have been coming to Kianinny for 3 years now, everytime is fantastic service, nothing is a hassle and we manage to get "our" cabin everytime! There has recently been a change in owners, with that being said, they have repainted the cabins, organised the rangers to pick up any injured possums (there are loads of them-friendly) and even fixing up the putt putt golf course so there is a running water feature.
The cabins themselves, has cooking facilities, updated bathrooms, fridge/freezer and of course a fireplace. The best part is no phone service-yes I said BEST part. No chance of your relaxation being interrupted!!!
Surrounding activities-I never went to the pool nor the tennis court and actually didn't go bush walking as I am a keen fisherwoman, but did experience the putt putt golf and the archery which were both great. There is a playground for the little ones and climbing nets/canoes for the older ones.
Fishing off the Tathra warf is a great experience for the kids as most of the time they will catch something!
A downside if any, depending on which cabin you stay in (we stay in the cabins closest to the road) is that there is a chance of hearing an odd truck or two, apart from that, I can't fault them!!! A visit is a must!

Room Tip: Choose cabins furthest from the main road
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank MRSDUVET
Nowra, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We stayed here for our birthdays recently. Unfortunately the weather was inclement the entire time so were unable to experience the facilities entirely. The privacy and exterior of the cabins give such a wonderful and inviting feel. the office especially is wonderfully modern. If only the cabins were updated to this standard.Unfortunately the insides of the cabins are rather dated, especially the bathrooms. No one could ever fault the cleanliness of the cabins but the beds are old and you can feel the springs the bathroom has a very old shower with a shower curtain. The toilet had a crack in it and the basin vanity didn't have any room to place toiletries etc. The kitchen appliances were cheap tiffany brand and were past their use by date. The staff were wonderfully accommodating especially when our infant son became ill and thought we may have to leave early. The only issue with the admin side of the park would be the charge for firewood. $12 for 15 kg of firewood, normally I wouldn't argue but the cheap pieces of pine and complete lack of any decent hardwood meant the fire didn't not last, Just a hint for management, I would probably find a way of rolling the cost of firewood into the price. The fireboxes in the cabins really do need an update also. I cannot fault the setup and the activities for kids. The downfalls of the cabins would not prevent me staying again especially when my son is older. The bushwalks, mini golf and activities in the area make it a wonderful place to stay, you just have to take it for what it is, it is a 3 1/2 star facility. The deal we got was fantastic though $106/night including a bbq meat tray and a bottle of wine, for this price I am happy I certainly wouldn't be prepared to pay any more. There did appear to renovations going on in other cabins while were there so hopefully more will be done the time we head that way again. Overall for a budget family holiday this is a great destination.

Room Tip: I didn't see the other rooms but the superior cabins would all I would stay in
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank daniel b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tathra
Tathra Beach House
Summerhill Motor Inn
Summerhill Motor Inn
#1 of 15 in Merimbula
Twofold Bay Motor Inn

Been to Kianinny Bush Cottages? Share your experiences!