“Great Family Holiday”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Thredbo Village
Sydney
“Great Family Holiday”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Alpenhorn was perfect for us. We stayed 5 nights (with another family). The location was a 5 minute walk from the village centre and getting to the kids in their ski gear to Friday Flats was relatively seamless on the free buses that stop just up the road. The staff were friendly, especially Nigel who looked after us very well. Nothing was a problem and we were made to feel very welcome. The rooms were clean, the common areas were perfect for relaxing at the end of a hard day on the slopes!! The thai restaurant was delicious - great food and reasonably priced. We had a wonderful holiday and will definitely come back - thanks Nigel and Co.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed 10 September 2013

After arriving in Thredbo early from Sydney, I decided to to take advantage of the free half day skiing that came with my 3 day lift pass. Unfortunately, my home run landed me in the medical centre with a damaged calf muscle. The doctor's orders?...stay off the leg for a few days - oh great, no more skiing!
Luckily for me I had booked into the Alpenhorn Lodge for my 3 night stay. Apart from the big, clean and warm room (with a great mountain view), the extremely friendly and helpful staff/management made my stay an absolute delight. The free wi-fi enabled me to keep busy whilst I kept my leg elevated. The cosy lounge areas were great to have chats with other guests or to catch up on my book. The continental breakfast was enough to get started for the day and the Thai restaurant served up incredibly fresh and tasty dishes.
I'll be returning to Thredbo next snow season and will definitely stay at the Alpenhorn Lodge. Considering my predicament, the Alpenhorn was just what I needed.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Hi,
I was fortunate enough to have a long w/end skiing @ Thredbo (30 Aug -> 1 Sep) - and decided to stay at Alpenhorn Lodge (i'm relaly glad I did) ,,,
The Alpenhorn Lodge itself is of a very high quality, with lots of lounge and informal areas for relaxing. Room was great, neat and very comfy - everyhting i needed for my stay, including an excellent THAI restuarant for dinner (yummy food!!).

Location was very convenient - shuttle stops just a 3 min stroll down the hill from Alpenhorn - so getting to the lifts is very easy.
Alpenhorn is also situated very close to some of Thredbo's other fine apres bars and restaurants (Denmans, House of ULLR, Black Bear, Schuss Bar, Lounge Bar).

Best part of Alpenhorn is Nigel - his personal atention to detail and customer focus is spot on (onya Nigel) - from the moment I arrived, till I left - Nigel was very friendly, provided lots of handy info/tips about the resort, the ski area (lifts, runs), flare run etc.
Nigel is about 'Total Customer Experience' and it show in the way in which he engages with his guests.

I'll certainly be visiting Thredbo again and will look to stay at Alepnhorn Lodge.
In a nut-shell I highly recommend THREDBO and Alephorn Lodge.

cheers,
Peter

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Peter T
Nigel G, Manager at Alpenhorn Lodge, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Hi Peter.
Wow what lovely feedback. Certainly a big thank you from me for such lovely words and I am of course so happy to read that you really enjoyed your time here at Alpenhorn Lodge and Thredbo Village. I'm not sure what else to say (except I hope my boss reads your review!) and that we will very much look forward to seeing you back staying with us next time you are looking to visit Thredbo.
Warm regards, Nigel.
Reviewed 3 September 2013

As soon as you arrive you are welcomed by friendly staff and an amazing view of the mountain. Accomodation was spacious, very clean and modern. The breakfast was amazing with everything you could want and the one surprise you will find with this accomodation is the high quality Thai food which is prepared on site / restaurant. I would recommend the Alpenhorn Lodge to any one visiting Thredbo as the location is only a short walk to the centre of the villiage. Thank you to all the friendly staff for making our trip very enjoyable and we will be back before the end of this season. To Nigel and the Team a big thank you and see you soon.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Damian H
Hi Damian.
Thanks very much for the great feedback. We do take pride in looking after our guests, so it is a pleasure to read the positive experience that you enjoyed while staying with us recently, from a service and comfort point of view.
Our Thai restaurant has certainly been a great success this year and we look forward to cranking it up again next winter ski season.
I trust we will see you back here again and wish you well till then. Thanks again for your kind words.
Kind regards, Nigel
Perth
Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Stayed for five nights from Sunday 4th August to Friday 9th August. Booking in was a breeze Nigel was expecting us and the friendly welcome was awesome after a long drive from Sydney. Rooms are clean although the floors are a little creaky and would have liked thicker net curtains so we could have more natural light as the windows were straight onto balcony (didn't want to give dining room a free show). The best thing was that being absolute newbies to Thredbo it was great to be able to ask for any information and be given a great answer. Breakfast included and we loved the fact that we could just roll out of our room to the dining room (room 2). We had two dinners included and the thai food was amazing. The bed was really comfortable and after learning that snowboarding comes with bruised butt I was so glad for the soft mattress topper. Was great that we could also plug go pro camera into tv directly to watch footage of slopes. We booked through an online agent as we had no idea the only thing we would have loved was a bar area to have a catch up with other guests at the end of the day. . We were told by some veteran snow bunnies ( one being miss falls creek 1967) That alpenhorn used to be the place to go for the piano bar. Service is awesome though you can tell the staff enjoy working with people and are always smiling. Karen was wonderful in making my nephew feel special and verena thank you for the laundry.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

This was the second year that our family (2 adults, 2 children) have stayed at the Alphenhorn. For Thredbo this lodge is good value for money, is in a great location with just a short walk to the bus stop for a quick trip to the snow fields. Buffet breakfast is included and has a good selection and currently has a Thai restaurant for dinner. Casual areas to relax in with board games plus ski storage and drying room. Nigel the owner is very friendly and knowledgable of the area. Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Ljp1970
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My school took 64 students and 6 staff to stay in Alpenhorn and Snowgums lodges in late July. The accommodation was very comfortable and the food after a slightly slow start was excellent. The manager, Nigel and staff could not have been more helpful and smoothed out any minor issues - flexibilty was the key here. The students loved the informal atmosphere and staying on snow, close to the village square was a huge bonus for them. The rooms are not huge but very clean and well kept. We have booked again for next year and want to make this our permanent base. The feedback we got from students and there parents was incredibly positive about the Alpenhorn.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
#2 of 8 in Perisher Valley
Man from Snowy River Hotel
Man from Snowy River Hotel
#5 of 8 in Perisher Valley

Been to Alpenhorn Lodge? Share your experiences!