“fantastic”
Review of Thredbo YHA

Thredbo YHA
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Thanks Nadia - from booking to check out i have no complaints. Nothing was to much trouble, rooms basic but comfortable, facilities clean and shared lounge and kitchen have everything you needed. Will be back next session. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Fran Q

Reviewed 8 April 2013

My partner and I stayed her the night before New-Years. We rocked up out of the blue looking for a place to stay and I had remembered it from 7 years before. Somehow we got the last free room of four bunks, and the owner advised us to take the risk of taking just two beds and paying less as she was almost closing up for the night. We did, and she was right. We had the room to ourselves (and very likely the same room I was in 7 years ago!).

The views from the balcony are lovely, but as it is pretty high even in mid-summer it gets quite chilly. Just wrap up warm. The social area is nice and seemed clean, and the kitchen is well-supplied with pots and pans as well as neat people who clean up after themselves. The showers and toilets (though few) were clean too. The beds were fine, with clean sheets and made a good change from a week of camping. There was also ample space to hang things and store luggage, as well as a window with pretty views (only downside was the party next door, which our window opened on to).

The hostess was lovely. We arrived tired and indecisive as to what walk to do the next day. She gave us plenty of advice and was very patient with us coming back every ten minutes with new questions. In the end we went for a long walk, and due to unexpected sunniness I was a bit worried about us getting burnt, but my partner and I only had one hat between us. So she lent me her hat for the day (which was definitely a good thing as the UV was intense!!). Fantastic!

Our fellow 'backpackers' were a mixed bunch of families, young travellers and sporty Australians (a walking club had just finished off their hiking holiday). All very friendly and adding to the atmosphere. Loved it, and I am sure we would not hesitate to stay there again if we pass through (in seven years or so?).

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

we had a blast of fun in this place, it was freakin freezin cold and with managed with some shots to warm up. dinner and breakfast were included in the deal as we were a large group of 25..great place to stay provided that you are not alone.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two night inbetween Xmas and new year. I'm sure the hostel was nearly sold out but never really felt too crowded. Great value for money. I was a little concerned to find only 1 toilet on the whole floor and only two showers but I didn't have to wait once which I was surprised about!

Bed wasn't the most comfortable but didn't really expect much more from a hostel anyway.

Great deck area outside which stunning Thredbo mountains views. Kitchen seemed good although we didn't actually use it. Large eating and chill out area which seemed fairly quiet. As we came 'out of season' I'm not sure it would be as quiet as it was but all the same we will defiantly be back for our annual Thredbo visit again.

Great hostel, excellent value and no real complaints at all. Can't go wrong with this place really.

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Not usually one for YHA or backpacker accomodation however, I really enjoyed our stay at Thredbo YHA. Parking is a problem throughout the Thredbo village area so we were not at a disadvantage by staying at the YHA. Large kitchen and beautiful balcony for a great view of the mountains. Staff were very friendly and helpful for our first time at Thredbo. Hope to return in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2012

One of the best YHAs I have stayed in and I have stayed in YHAs all over the world and all over Australia. Definitely a home away from home. Would recommend it to anyone. The only thing that I didn't like were the late check in (4.30-5pm) and the set down parking for only 2 cars. (There are 48 rooms.) Driveway was very slippery and dangerous and hard to get out frontwise. I hit something with my car trying to turn around fortunatelythere was no damage.

Room Tip: I wasn't affected by noise from outside my room and I stayed on the top floor. It might be a go...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in a private ensuite room and was very happy with the YHA. Would have preferred if they used the big screen for tv - they refused even though most people wanted to watch the olympics (instead they screened a snowboard video). Very clean and highly recommended as a budget ski lodge option!

Room Tip: Go for the private room with ensuite
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
#20 of 25 in Thredbo Village
The Stables Perisher
The Stables Perisher
#4 of 12 in Perisher Valley

Been to Thredbo YHA? Share your experiences!