“One of the best”

Thredbo YHA
Brisbane, Australia
“One of the best”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Staff were very helpful, friendly and had lots of local knowledge. Kitchen and living area were kept very clean. Great location with mountain views. Summer is best value and is a walkers paradise. This would have to be the most comfortable I have ever been at any hostel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Blue Mountains
Reviewed 13 November 2013

A very casual and warm YHA with excellent service.I stopped here on my way walking to Canberra and stayed for 3 nights. They were a great help to me with my equipment/food drops and went out of their way to put me in with other like-minded travelers. All this made for a memorable stay on my big adventure. Will definitely be returning. Big thanks to Rosie and Nadia who were very helpful!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
nsw
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Thanks Nadia - from booking to check out i have no complaints. Nothing was to much trouble, rooms basic but comfortable, facilities clean and shared lounge and kitchen have everything you needed. Will be back next session. Keep up the good work.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Fran Q
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My partner and I stayed her the night before New-Years. We rocked up out of the blue looking for a place to stay and I had remembered it from 7 years before. Somehow we got the last free room of four bunks, and the owner advised us to take the risk of taking just two beds and paying less as she was almost closing up for the night. We did, and she was right. We had the room to ourselves (and very likely the same room I was in 7 years ago!).

The views from the balcony are lovely, but as it is pretty high even in mid-summer it gets quite chilly. Just wrap up warm. The social area is nice and seemed clean, and the kitchen is well-supplied with pots and pans as well as neat people who clean up after themselves. The showers and toilets (though few) were clean too. The beds were fine, with clean sheets and made a good change from a week of camping. There was also ample space to hang things and store luggage, as well as a window with pretty views (only downside was the party next door, which our window opened on to).

The hostess was lovely. We arrived tired and indecisive as to what walk to do the next day. She gave us plenty of advice and was very patient with us coming back every ten minutes with new questions. In the end we went for a long walk, and due to unexpected sunniness I was a bit worried about us getting burnt, but my partner and I only had one hat between us. So she lent me her hat for the day (which was definitely a good thing as the UV was intense!!). Fantastic!

Our fellow 'backpackers' were a mixed bunch of families, young travellers and sporty Australians (a walking club had just finished off their hiking holiday). All very friendly and adding to the atmosphere. Loved it, and I am sure we would not hesitate to stay there again if we pass through (in seven years or so?).

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 24 March 2013 via mobile

we had a blast of fun in this place, it was freakin freezin cold and with managed with some shots to warm up. dinner and breakfast were included in the deal as we were a large group of 25..great place to stay provided that you are not alone.

• Stayed April 2012
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed for two night inbetween Xmas and new year. I'm sure the hostel was nearly sold out but never really felt too crowded. Great value for money. I was a little concerned to find only 1 toilet on the whole floor and only two showers but I didn't have to wait once which I was surprised about!

Bed wasn't the most comfortable but didn't really expect much more from a hostel anyway.

Great deck area outside which stunning Thredbo mountains views. Kitchen seemed good although we didn't actually use it. Large eating and chill out area which seemed fairly quiet. As we came 'out of season' I'm not sure it would be as quiet as it was but all the same we will defiantly be back for our annual Thredbo visit again.

Great hostel, excellent value and no real complaints at all. Can't go wrong with this place really.

• Stayed January 2013
Wollongong
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Not usually one for YHA or backpacker accomodation however, I really enjoyed our stay at Thredbo YHA. Parking is a problem throughout the Thredbo village area so we were not at a disadvantage by staying at the YHA. Large kitchen and beautiful balcony for a great view of the mountains. Staff were very friendly and helpful for our first time at Thredbo. Hope to return in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple