“Great location, amazing views and”
Review of Riverside Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Thredbo Village
Riverside Cabins
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We were late in making our booking and I thought that being one of the only places left available over Easter (and having read the reviews on Tripadvisor) that we would have very ordinary accommodation. I was very surprised! We had cabin 24 that was right on the river, it must have been recently renovated as the carpet and furniture all felt brand new. The bed was extremely comfortable and the kitchen was fitted out with top quality cooking utensils. So the TV only had a few channels - who cares - it was magic sitting on the deck taking in the majestic views and listening to the river rushing past. We had 2 chairs on the deck and another 2 directors chairs as well. I suppose that's the problem with privately owned accommodation - you just cannot tell how you apartment is going to be fitted out. But we certainly hit the jackpot with this one and at a very reasonably price! I'd love to go back in the ski season.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Hoopersville

Reviewed 20 January 2012

We stayed at the Riverside Cabins for three nights at the beginning of January.

Location was great, just outside town, with a fantastic view of the mountains and bushland from our balcony. The cabin was perfect for two, and was warm in the evenings when it got a bit chillier outside. It was well appointed and very clean. Would say TV was difficult to work (I didn't get how to work Austar I'm afraid). Also, if you were tall, watch you're head. Even though we're relatively short, the loft room has very low beams.

Others have mentioned it, but there were lots of flies and although there were fly screens, the critters still managed to plague us, lots of swatting and swearing. Not sure there's much anyone can do about that, that's nature for you! The only other thing I would mention was the BBQ was a bit manky. Seems to be par for the course, as most places we stay seem to have manky dirty bbqs - which is a shame. Also seemed to be lacking outdoor seating - only one chair, and although not hassle to bring one out from indoors, it would look better if we hadn't have had to.

But to be honest, these were tiny issues. All in all a great place to stay and one of the cleanest, comfiest beds I've slept on in a while. I would happily stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LK1975
Reviewed 7 January 2012

This was our first stay at Riverside Cabins. We had been to Thredbo before, and had thought their location overlooking the golf course, was perfect. Central to the village but at the same time, far away enough to experience the beautiful surrounding landscape. I booked and specifically asked for one of the furthest cabins and didn't ask a lot of detail about the actual room and decor. Perhaps that was my error. Our room, was dated and cheap. I only paid $170 per night, but I still expect thought and attention to detail on interiors. Come on let's face it, this is just lazy to offer, a soggy sofa, no fly screens when the weather was 30 degrees, curtains that don't fit the window by about a meter, a tv so dated it was ready for a museum with instructions to work the Austar that were incorrect. The view from this cabin 36, was sensational and no outdoor furniture to sit and enjoy it seemed a bit mean also. Honestly, inexpensive furniture is easy to come by(just try eBay) for very little this apartment could be bought up to an acceptable standard for $170 a night, and considering this is probably a quarter of the price of the winter booking room rate I recommend it should happen quickly.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Pollyannaprincess
Reviewed 1 October 2010

I have stayed in the Riverside Cabins once before (2007), on my own. On that occasion I was in one of the cabins a fair way from the road, and my recollection is that the furniture and decor were modern and of a reasonable standard. The Riverside Cabins are in a nice location right up the golf course end of the village, and right next to the Thredbo River which is lovely.
My partner and I have just returned from 3 nights in one of these cabins, and despite getting supposedly a cheap deal, I still think the accommodation was overpriced. Thredbo was practically dead, even though the ski season doesn't officially end until this weekend. From the closed curtains and lack of cars everywhere, it was clear that occupancy was at perhaps 10-20%. Half the shops were closed. You'd think therefore that accommodation would be priced accordingly.
We ended up paying $576 for 3 nights in the very smallest cabin, and the one closest to the road. OK, the road wasn't busy, but we were right next-door to the Knickerbocker restaurant and any time we went out onto our balcony we were assaulted by the cigarette smoke of the restaurant employees. In an alpine village that was practically empty, you'd have thought we could have been given a nice quiet cabin.
The decor in this cabin was pretty inexpensive and tired - I'm fairly certain we got the worst cabin of the lot. There was a cheap cane shelving unit with matching tiny coffee table, combined with a dining table and chairs in a faux 'distressed' paint / shabby chic style. The small couch was fairly new-looking and reasonably comfortable. The TV was a large flat-screen, which was fine, but despite the information folder stating that guests had access to about 15 or 20 Austar channels, in fact only about 6 or 7 of them worked (most of them sport channels). OK, you don't go to Thredbo to watch TV, but when you've been out skiing or walking most of the day, you want to relax with some TV during the evening - particularly when there's nothing else happening in a dead village. Austar is provided because the reception for digital and analogue channels is very poor. I can't tell you how frustrating it was having to skip through about 40 channels that had a message saying we didn't have access to them.
The kitchen is fairly well kitted out - lots of utensils, pots and pans etc, plus a microwave, oven/cooktop, small fridge and dishwasher. No complaints there.
The timber venetian blinds in the living area clearly had not been cleaned for a very long time - they were covered in dust.
The lighting was really inadequate - in the living room there was only one dim wall light (shaded) and another shaded light hooked (strangely) above the sliding door to the balcony - and the globe didn't work. No light above the dining table. No lamps. Nothing adequate for reading.
The worst aspect however was the bedroom. No problem with the steep loft ladder up into the loft bedroom - as I said, I've stayed in these cabins before. However the bed was two singles joined to create a king bed. This required occupants to clamber up the bed to get into it because there was no room on either side of the bed. It also meant no bedside tables, and no bedside lamps! The sole light was a shaded wall lamp right up the other end of the room, which could only be turned off from that location - meaning to get into bed we had to clamber up the bed in the dark. Forget bedtime reading, obviously! We also wondered how they cleaned under the bed but weren't game to look... the bottom sheet wasn't even tucked in - it just hung loose over the bed, presumably because the cleaners can't get down the side to tuck it in.
I know Thredbo's pricey and I expect to pay top dollar during peak ski season. But in a nearly empty village I don't expect to be slugged almost $200 a night for poor standard fittings and facilities (and be told this is a bargain!). I won't be staying at Riverside Cabins again, nor would I recommend them to others - unless you were getting a killer deal and knew to expect some compromise in comfort.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mareepsasja
Reviewed 18 November 2007

We stayed at the Riverside Cabins over New Years, so it was very hot! The cabin was beautifully furnished and it was great having a kitchen to cook our dinner each night. We loved sitting on the balcony and watching the sun go down.
Our bedroom was upstairs in the loft and it was stinking hot at night making it a little unpleasant.
Walking up the hill to the cabin wasn't fun, but the town is full of hills.
The only thing bad I have to say about Thredbo is that there are flies everywhere. We tried to cook a bbq down beside the river, but it was impossible to even try and get the food into your mouth. During summer Thredbo must have a fly infestation and has put us off coming back again. The best advice you will ever get is to take a netted hat with you.

• Stayed: December 2003, travelled as a couple
The Denman Hotel Thredbo
The Denman Hotel Thredbo
#4 of 5 in Thredbo Village
Lake Crackenback Resort & Spa

Been to Riverside Cabins? Share your experiences!