“Five nights was a long time”

The Denman Hotel Thredbo
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Thredbo Village
Sydney, Australia
“Five nights was a long time”
Reviewed 21 August 2013

I stayed at the Denman Hotel in early August. I originally booked for five nights for my wife and I but at the last minute she was unable to come. It was fortunate that I was by myself as the room was extremely small and the bathroom even smaller - possibly the smallest bathroom I have ever seen. The Hotel itself was old and starting to show its age. My room had a balcony which afforded great views of the hill - the downside was the 52 steps to get to it. The TV in the room was small and cheap and the price at $500 a night seemed very steep. On the plus side, the breakfast was hearty and I found the staff very friendly - they even drove me to my car (there is no on site carpark). Overall I had an average experience. Staying in Thredbo is expensive and it is a captive market but I felt I didn't really get what i paid for.

Room Tip: Balcony room but not up too high - too many stairs.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Stephen W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Reviewed 21 August 2013

What to start with wifi works just in the lobby area,tiny rooms and bathrooms,took a shower the water was cold half the time,the parking was not in the same hotel,the tv needs to be updated,no microwave in the room which was a pain if u want to heat milk for ur kid,the customer service was not really helpful, the pictures are totally different than what we had and to pay 1500$ for that i was insane

3 Thank sema8

Travellers are raving about these Thredbo Village hotels

Reviewed 19 August 2013

The worst customer service I have ever experienced!! They even managed to make my wife cry. I have travelled and stayed in a lot of places and I would have to say this was the worst experience I've ever had. We checked out within the hour. I would recommend it to anyone. Over priced, tiny rooms and the worst management you could ever imagine. Words don't express how bad the experience was. Christian and Lydia.

3 Thank cjb1501
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We thought this place was terrible. Overpriced, small rooms by any standard . No lift and no assistance with bags. The bathrooms were small, could not sit straight on the toilet. Tiles cracked and grout dirty.
Poorly lit hall ways and more like a rabbit warren. This place is run down and in need of complete makeover.
Breakfast no better and coffee machine permanently broken. Restaurant well above average.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank John B
Reviewed 9 August 2013

My partner and I stayed here a few weeks ago. He had surprised me and booked the room. As we were driving down I decided to check it out. After reading tripadvisor, I was thinking he had made a terrible mistake booking here and If he had read some of the negative posts on here, he would not have booked.

Well, we were both glad that we were able to make up our own minds because we had a great stay! The rooms were as expected, cosy but comfortable. Perfect for what we needed. The bathroom was on the small side but sufficient and it was cleaned well! When you think of the location, what more could you ask for! Sure the TV was dated, but we weren't there to watch TV and it worked just fine. When we left our room we could here our neighbour's TV blaring from the hallway, but we couldn't here it at all from inside our room.

The hotel is located just across from the stairs that lead into the village and the chair lift, so you couldn't get better for location in our opinion. The hotel owners were only too happy drive us to and from our car which was parked some distance away. The restaurant was lovely.

Now, after reading comments about Judy I very curious to meet her. However, after reading all the negative comments about her we were pleasantly surprised. In our experience, she was not as others had portrayed in their posts, in fact quite the opposite. Though we didn't have too much to do with her, each time we left and returned to the hotel, she was professional and friendly. When Judy returned us to our car, she helped clean snow off with her bare hands.

I would definitely stay here next time we come to the snow.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2013

$500 for a double bed, with a gap beside it so small you can't fit your suit case. For the price I'd expect a bigger room, nicer interior and fittings and reception staff. The TV is a box with 4 channels and wifi does not work. It's hardly a 3 star hotel and rooms don't look anything like the photos on the website. The walls are paper thin we could hear our nrighbours having a shower. Only good point is the location.

1 Thank Schwonger
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We paid $750 for a tiny one bed room! The manager was one of the rudest people I've ever met! We were woken up by a party next door and when we called reception no one came! A lot of money for a terrible sleep!! Not value for money in anyway! The breakfast was also terrible! I've had better stays in shared cabins at the snow! Definitely ruined my birthday!

1 Thank Savmuz
#2 of 8 in Perisher Valley
Man from Snowy River Hotel
Man from Snowy River Hotel
#6 of 8 in Perisher Valley

Been to The Denman Hotel Thredbo? Share your experiences!