“Great location, awesome buffet breakfast and friendly staff”

The Denman Hotel Thredbo
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Thredbo Village
Sydney, Australia
“Great location, awesome buffet breakfast and friendly staff”
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

My family of four stayed for two nights mid-week in a one bedroom place at the Denman.
The owners and staff are friendly, very hospitable and can't do enough to make sure your stay is pleasurable. The Denman is located just above the Thredbo Village shops, very short walk down the the ski lifts. The on-site Après bar offers great live entertainment every night and a great cosy environment

Highly recommended ++

Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Arrived after a very long day of driving to start off our Ski Trip to be told our room was not ready!.
No apology, only told to sit in the library and wait. When asking Judy the Manager of The Denman why our room was not ready at check-in time, she simply answered "well I've checked you in on time" even though there was no room ready for us so we just had to sit down in the library and wait it out.

Approximately 25mins after check-in time, our room was ready, but couldn't get in the door as the key lock would not work without the cleaning staff using their master key and jiggling it around to get the door to unlock.

Once in our room, it showed promise so the next thing to do was to have a nice hot shower - Bad Move! there was no hot water and only dribbles of cold water came out of the shower head.

We then went to speak to Judy, but she had gone for the day, so we spoke to a very helpful blonde girl who appoligised and arranged another room for us with a working shower and working door-lock but without a view (which is what we paid for).

To sum-up the rest of our stay at The Denman:

* Beds were very uncomfortable ( 2 single beds pushed together does not instantly turn it into a King Size bed!
* Food was very average
* Very over-priced for what you are getting

This is our third stay in Thredbo Village, and we won't be recommending The Denman Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank T0by2014

Travellers are raving about these Thredbo Village hotels

Victoria
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We were made welcome from foot in door, nothing too much trouble. Bar restaurant lounges are cosy, comfortable and very smartly decorated. Step out & you realize you are central to everything. We only had a night there just before the ski season commenced but highly recommend The Denman.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney Olympic Park, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This is a relatively small hotel whose best feature is its location opposite the main Crackenback slopes. However, as a seasonal hotel it has some shortcomings. Our twin bed room had a small bathroom with limited water pressure in the shower. The room door (which was outside the main hotel structure) had clearly swollen over time and was hard to open and close. The outside windows were not insulated which resulted in considerable fogging. The towels were not first class hotel standard (small with reduced thread). However, none of these things made for a bad experience. On the plus side the Terrace bar was a great place to have a drink after skiing and the staff were very helpful on our last day - holding our bags after checking out and making available a guest bathroom (with fresh towel) to refresh before heading home.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank zlejins
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I had been to The Denman restaurant a few times before and was so impressed with the quality of the food and service that I decided to go and stay with a friend for a long weekend. The Hotel does not disappoint, this is the best place that I have stayed in Thredbo by a long way.

The Location is perfect, a short walk from the lifts and the centre of town for shopping, eating and drinking.

The restaurant is fantastic, I can't recommend this enough. A fantastic menu, superb ingredients, fantastic cooking and great service.

The Après bar - this is highlight for me. Amazing cocktails and drink selection. Cosy atmosphere early on and then when the live music starts it’s a lot of fun. This is a must whether you are staying at the hotel or not.

The Hotel - I stayed in a great room at the front of the hotel with a fantastic view of the mountain. The room was quiet and the bed was comfy. I slept so well each night and felt really refreshed for breakfast each morning. The best thing about the hotel is the service. Judy and Ed the owners, make you feel so welcome and really make a big effort with every guest.

Overall I can't recommend this enough.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with Mountain Views. Such a create view to wake up to each morning.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank willsantry
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I booked for a long weekend, late Friday for two couples, supposedly a two bedroom suite. One of the couples, changed their mind on the dates. I called first thing Monday morning,after that weekend manager / owner - gave "NO FLEXIBILITY". Making it quite clear she had billed my credit card and it was my bad luck. Even after telling me how busy they were. No hope of changing a booking to another weekend ! Upon arrival, I was told I had to park my new Range Rover 2-3 klms away in a public no secure car park. Our two bedroom apartment, or should I say, one bedroom - with two beds shoved in the living area. My guests, rather than having to disturb us during the night, to use the only bathroom off our bedroom, had to fully dress go outside to use public hotel area. Mould on the bathroom ceiling. You could every flush and movement upstairs. Then to top it off, the sewerage tank over flowed under the foyer area, near entrance to restaurant. Thankfully the handyman, plumber worked all night, using noisy equipment to fix the problem. The smell, which they tried to disguise with lime powders was terrible. This resort reminded me of aback packer experience, 2 Stars at best. The only way I would go back here is with a gun to my head !

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank philip001223
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I just returned from a beautiful weekend at The Denman. This was my 3rd year staying at the hotel & each time it just gets better! Judy & Ed, the wonderful hosts greet you like old friends & make you feel perfectly at home from the minute you walk through the door. I stayed in a balcony room which was lovely & cosy with a spectacular view of the mountain! The bed was like sleeping in a cloud-very comfy indeed! On the night we arrived we had dinner in the hotel restaurant. I had the salmon which was delicious. The staff at the restaurant were very knowledgeable about the menu & were spot on with their recommendations! After dinner we headed downstairs to the Après bar which was great. We had only intended to have one drink & go somewhere else but John the bar guy was hilarious & whipped up possibly the best espresso martini I have ever tasted & we ended up drinking here both nights! The hotel is really close to the local square, shops and the chair lifts. Unfortunately there wasn't enough snow to ski when we were there but I'm thinking of coming back later in the season to try my luck again! I honestly couldn't speak highly enough of this hotel-I'll definitely be back! Thanks again Judy & Ed & your team! It's always a pleasure! Ten out of ten! :)

• Stayed June 2014
#3 of 8 in Perisher Valley
Black Bear Inn
Black Bear Inn
#2 of 4 in Thredbo Village

Been to The Denman Hotel Thredbo? Share your experiences!