“Board right on the balcony to get some cold beers”
Review of River Inn Resort

River Inn Resort
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The location can't get any better on the foot of the slopes. The rooms are good and clean. They have friendly staff that's helpful and a good laugh. To top it off they have a balcony with live music where you can enjoy a beer after a day on the mountain. Can't beat any of this.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Similar to the other recent view we went as a family and stayed here because we managed to grab a very heavily discounted voucher and sneak in before the peak school holiday season. Also having researched we weren't too sure what to expect but knew it wouldn't be 5 star - and for the price we were prepared to accept that. However what we found was this:
The reception staff were excellent, friendly, smiling and very helpful and a pleasure to be greeted by.
The family room we had was reasonably large although with the five of us still quite cramped. Heaters worked well but we did need to ask for extra blankets - which the young lady on reception went out of her way to find for us.
Of course the location is to kill for...

On the downside; yes the drying room and ski storage area was small considering the number of people accommodated and the drying room particularly could have been better ventilated to reduce the smell and improve the drying, the room was warm enough but not very efficient at drying all the equipment.

The food was very ordinary, we had the breakfast included and one dinner, we also tried the bar menu and lunch. The food was always served cool to warm, not hot, one of us had our lunch order lost twice and ended up having to rush to make their lesson. And having to pay by cash was a pain, paywave would have been so much quicker and easier. And finding somewhere to sit was often a problem as being so close to the chairlift and cheaper that buying from the outside cafeteria it was crowded. Trouble is to eat anywhere else meant going out in the cold and catching a bus into the village, we did this for one dinner and had a wonderful meal.

Overall though we all had a very nice stay for 3 nights, the kids are very keen to stay again and the location just makes it all so easy.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank antlaw
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Just returned from 5 days staying at River Inn. Where do I start? I have stayed at many places in Thredbo including the YHA so I feel I have a fairly good perspective on all things Thredbo.
There is 1 thing going for this place:
1. Location - I loved having a chairlift right at the door! Ski in Ski out accomm makes things easy particularly at the end of the day!
Yep folks that is all! I booked this accommodation as I had received a reasonably discounted rate. I will add that I had low expectations based on reviews I had read on Tripadvisor.
So what do you get when staying here?
The standard twin room was a no frills decent sized room with ensuite, a flat screen tv, mini fridge, microwave, Tea and coffee making facilities.
The room was clean on arrival and housekeeping changed towels daily if requested.
Breakfast and dinner vouchers for dining at the in-house restaurant. *WARNING* I got sick from eating here! How they can serve up icy cold food that has presumably just been cooked is beyond me? Even the dinner, Mango chicken and rice which was "made to order" was served to me cold, I immediately sent this back. The food was microwaved and came back piping hot. After 2 bad experiences I decided to spare my body further poisoning and would grab coffee and eats out. I do stress eat at your own risk!
The drying room and equipment storage room were surprisingly undersized and ineffective. Heaven help you if you are overweight which thankfully I am not. The drying room also wasn't so great with the drying. Not a great feeling to put on wet gloves after a good 15 hour stint in the "drying" room.
Still interested in staying? Read on..........
The pungent smell of sewerage would knock you right off of your feet within various public areas. Was extremely grateful I was not able to smell this odour from our room! Clearly they had some sewer problems and shut the water off twice during our stay to resolve the issue. No business wants to deal with such issues coming in to peak season, however the times chosen to turn off the water were ridiculously timed. Just in time for coming off from last lifts and conveniently in the morning before breakfast! Needless to say this morning (Fri 27th June, 2014) as I collected my gear from above said rooms I was greeted with yet again the delightful odour of sewerage. I can only imagine the onslaught of complaints should the peak paying guests encounter similar issues.
Lastly... the staff. Other than the hard working cleaners (Housekeeping?) and the friendly smiling restaurant staff that unwittingly dished out free Salmonella with my breakfast the front desk staff (the only other staff I encountered) were ........disinterested. I guess you may have to pay extra for a greeting or a smile?? If I was desperate and got a good deal I would stay here based on the good location but don't expect anything more.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Gidgwa
Reviewed 27 June 2014

You cannot beat the location of this resort.
You can literally walk straight to the ski lift.
Pumping party on a Saturday afternoon after everyone has come down from a day on the mountain. Make a mean schnitzel and good choice of beers!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Anthony D
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We got married at the River Inn in May 2014. Everyone there - from Vicki who managed it, Matt in accounts and especially Nicolle and Meyer who helped us out over the weekend - were fantastic.
We had a great BBQ for around twenty people on the Friday night and then the wedding (inside at the last moment as it rained unfortunately) and reception for around thirty five on the Saturday night. All guests were looked after in nice rooms - from a spa room for us, through to family bunk rooms for kids.

They looked after everything but most importantly made us feel welcome and a part of their family. We couldn't recommend them highly enough!!! Thank you

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

I booked river inn during the peak snow season and wasn't expecting much in regards to accommodation due to some reviews. I was expecting pub style. However We found the rooms great. Warm clean and quite modern. Have booked again this year. It's in a great spot which makes going to the snow with small children so much easier!

Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank Cameron H
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We have stayed at the River Inn Resort in the summer season many times in the past several years and always enjoyed our experience. The staff have always been extremely helpful and friendly, breakfast is great and can be enjoyed outside above the Thredbo River. Rooms are certainly clean and, while not luxurious, have everything needed. The Resort is a short and very relaxing walk from the centre of Thredbo, including to the chair lifts.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
#3 of 8 in Perisher Valley
Alpenhorn Lodge
Alpenhorn Lodge
#2 of 5 in Thredbo Village

Been to River Inn Resort? Share your experiences!