“functional stopover but not a pleasant experience”

Mercure Sydney International Airport
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wolli Creek
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I don't expect too much from airport hotels, but this was a very poor experience. The bedroom was adequate, but the foyer, reception and all communal areas were completely lacking in ambience and welcome. I noticed in a previous review the hotel has been refurbished, and so maybe this is a work in progress, but the setting made me feel like a commodity and not a valued guest. Plus the wifi was only free for 30m, and not good, but after that it was $24. Plastic cover under bedclothes not nice. Only good as a completely functional stopover.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Marion T
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Marion T,

Thank you for your detailed review.

It is reviews like these from which we obtain vital information in regards to guest perspective.
We value our guests and their needs immensely as they are the life blood of our industry.

Our hotel did complete a multimillion dollar refurbishment in June last year enhancing superior rooms and public areas to be contemporary and comfortable. Regardless your experience has been noted and I have discussed with all the relevant departments.

Richard.Holt@accor.com

Write a ReviewReviews (2,108)

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The Mercure Sydney International Airport hotel is probably the nearest not on site hotel to Sydney Airport. It takes less than a couple of minutes to drive to the airport from the hotel. For those without a car the hotel offers a regular shuttle bus service for a fee per passenger.
If arriving at the hotel beware. The surrounding land is being redeveloped and is literally a construction site. The exit from the hotel car park is clearly marked but it took us several attempts to find the entrance to the car park. It was through a construction site, not easily seen. The receptionist at the hotel said the hotel was aware of this problem and was having some signs made up to identify the entrance. An overnight car parking fee of AUS$30.00 was charged to park a car in the outdoors hotel car park.
Check in was swift and the receptionists quite willing to please. When I asked the opening hours of a nearby club one of the receptionist without any prompting rang the club to obtain the information requested. An AUS$50 fee was held against a credit card for any extra expenses incurred at the hotel over and above the room rate. This was refunded at check out.
My experience with airport hotels is that they do not offer a porter service. The Mercure did not disappoint but there were plenty of trolleys stacked at the entrance to the hotel for guests to use.
The room was adequate for the purpose it served and was clean. The bathroom held the normal range of toiletries.
Complimentary tea and coffee making facilities were provided. The room had an ironing board and iron. There was a large flat screen TV with a range of Australian TV stations. There was a small fridge in the room. However drinks could be purchased from a vending machine. The room A/C was fixed at one temperature and could not be adjusted by a guest. Unfortunately it was, for my liking set at too high a temperature.
Room service was offered with the following being an example of prices in Australian dollars:
Chicken Breast Main course $38.00
Ham and Pineapple Pizza $25.50
Beef rib eye steak $39.50
Beef burger $24.50
Small can of Tooheys Beer $ 7.50

The starting price for breakfast was $21 per person.

Being an airport hotel the hotel had several foreign tour groups stay at it. We realized how paper thin the walls were when one tour group decided to party until the early hours of the morning.

We needed a 5.00am wakeup call but we did not get it. On checking out we complained about this and the receptionist was quite apologetic saying that the call had been not made because it had been overlooked. Not good enough for an airport hotel.

It is worth mentioning that just outside the hotel within easy walking distance is a club, Rowing on Cook River. Well worth a visit for reasonably priced meals and drinks on a verandah overlooking the river. A good place to wind down.

I had obtained a special discount of 50% 0n the room rate in a Mercure Hotel’s special promotion. When I questioned the rate I was paying I was told that is was a special rate. At the rack rate approaching AUS$300 it is my view the hotel is overpriced and better value could be found elsewhere near the airport.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank crocnsw
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Hi crocnsw,

Thank you for your detailed review.

Please be advised that there is a development taking place adjacent to the hotel. The development is not related to the hotel undergoing any remodelling or renovation and we have ensured that our guests are not effected . The car park entrance borders fencing along the development site and we will have user friendly way finding signs installed in the very near future.

We charge a flat rate of $20/day for parking at our hotel. If you have been charged $30 for overnight parking then this is incorrect. Please contact me on Richard.Holt@accor.com as I would love the opportunity to discuss this further with you and ensure that you have not been overcharged.

Please know that you can call upon reception to address any disruptive noise and our Front Office team will be happy to investigate the matter. We wish all of our guests to have a comfy nights sleep without disturbance.

Please understand that rates at our hotel are variable and are determined by many factors. Our rates are very competitive within the precinct.

Once again thank you for your detailed review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

What a let down. Despite the fact there are huge works going on around it and we were ok to put that aside, reception was poor, no signs about parking fees & when we left for dinner 20 mins after checking in, they wanted $20 parking fee. We had prepaid the accom on internet & they double charged us on check out. A really poor experience. I will never stay at Mercure again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank GreatwhiteNC74

Hi GreatwhiteNC74,

Thank you for your review.

Please be advised that we have signs due to be installed shortly to ensure that our guests are informed and can orientate them self’s with ease.

I am aware that you have been in contact with our Front Office Manager and refunded duly. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your experience further. Please contact me on Richard.Holt@accor.com.

Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Very central motel sure it will be a wonderful place to stay once the renovations around the car park area are completed. Was a bit of a problem locating the front of the motel. Everything clean and neat. I would stay again but will wait until the construction work is completed.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Susiewrx,

Thank you for staying at Mercure Sydney International Airport.

Please be advised that there is construction taking place adjacent to the property. The development is not related to the property undergoing renovations or remodelling. Please do not hesitate to stay with us while the works are being carried out as we have employed measures to ensure that our guests and operations are not effected.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Our second stay here. The rooms are contemporary and comfortable. Despite location near the airport and a construction zone, we found the room quite quiet. Buffet breakfast variety was plentiful and interesting. The hotel is a short walk through a lovely park to the Wolli Creek train station with direct access to the city. Staff are polite and courteous.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ditto2
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Ditto2,

Thank you for the lovely review.

Our hotel is located away from any direct flight paths and we have double glazed windows in accommodation rooms to ensure that rooms are as quiet as possible.

Your positive feedback has been communicated to the Food and Beverage team and I wish to welcome you again very shortly.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

After reading all the recent negative reviews, I was surprised as my stay was very pleasant in a very nice renovated Queen room (527). The staff were very friendly upon my late check in. The car park has been affected by the construction of new apartments directly adjacent to the hotel but there was also plenty of free street parking available at around 9pm near the rowing club opposite. My room had a mini bar. Bathroom was clean and with a glass panel (no shower curtain). Shower pressure 7/10. Got an excellent rate through Accor which is why I chose this hotel but even at the regular rate I would definitely come back. Glad I chose to stay here.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear JodieG68,

This review is very pleasant to read.

It goes without saying that our guests are our priority and we work hard to ensure that all have a stay as lovely as yours. Each customer experience is unique and It is great to hear this feedback which I have passed on to the team to encourage the service standards mentioned.

Thank you for staying at our hotel and I would love to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

After 14 hours of driving all we wanted was a cold beer, a decent meal and a good nights sleep.
It started at check-in and just got progressively worse...there was no proactive direction or assistance to locate the lifts which are tucked away so we wandered around aimlessly for a couple minutes until I could speak to one of the front of house staff who were all very busy "processing" other guests ... not a good start... we thought it was just us but later whilst we were having a pre-dinner drink at the bar we had to direct seven sets of individual guest who were wandering around "lost" looking for the lifts - a simple hand direction "lifts are just through there folks" from the front of house staff would have been helpful to tired travellers.
Bar and food prices are in line with 4 star establishments however we chose to eat across the road at the Rowing Club - great food - great service and roughly 1/2 the price of the Mercure.. free membership for visitors.
Currently there is construction work in progress at the Mercure which severely restricts parking bays and would be a challenge for those seeking day rooms.
Our room (404) was a disaster and after driving for the previous 14 hours it was only total fatigue that allowed me to catch just 2-3 hours broken sleep due to aircon/fridge noise and vibration factors, and I couldn't be fagged with going through the tribulation of a room shift at that late stage. My wife however got zero sleep so I suffered her frustration and fatigue for a few hours the next morning.
Aircon in the room vibrated to the extent that we were unable to sleep unless it was off - had to turn the TV volume up to 32 just to hear the ABC news at 7pm.
Fridge noise was just as bad and I would have turned it off too if I could have found the switch.
Faeces stain on toilet bowl
Car parking @ $20/night
Wi-Fi @ $24/night
NO mini bar
Tea/coffee milk in room but only one cup - so I had to have my morning wakeup coffee in glass cradled in a wet face cloth to stop the contents from burning my hands.
All in all a very disappointing experience - definitely would be reluctant to recommend.

Room Tip: Stay away from rooms with a 4 in front of them I guess...