“airport stopover”

Mercure Sydney International Airport
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Wolli Creek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Korean first
Austin, Texas, USA
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I stay at the Mercure because it is a short, 20 minute walk to the International Terminal. The hotel is clean and well maintained.

There is construction at what used to be the front of the hotel; the entrance is now at the side. I didn't have any problems with noise. Payment with a credit card at the hotel desk attracts a surcharge.

Room rates seem to fluctuate depending of time of year. The room is of good size. It was clean and the bed in comfortable condition. The refrigerator is empty of items to buy, as I prefer. There was a lack of power outlets near the desk; I used the outlet in the bathroom to charge my phone and tablet. WiFi or Ethernet is an additional cost.

The walk to the international terminal is over a bridge and through the car parks. It is an easy walk on a pleasant day and quicker than the shuttle, and at no cost. It is perhaps a 20 minute walk through a reserve and across the Princes Highway to the Wolli Creek station to catch a train to the City. There are a few shops near the station.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Richard_HoltSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this review, 11 May 2014
Dear Viajero952,

Thank you for the detailed review. I must stress that there is a development occurring adjacent to the hotel. The development is not related to our hotel undergoing any remodelling or refurbishment and we have measures in place which ensure that guests and operations are not affected - which is reflected by your lovely review.

Thank you for staying and I wish to welcome you back shortly.

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I read the reviews and nearly cancelled my booking but glad I didn't. The hotel has been refurbished, it looked modern and clean. My room was nice, no complaints, it was quiet. The location to the International terminal is a 5 minute walk, we had luggage and it is no issue walking that across the bridge. Other reviews stated there was no shops in the vacinty, I discovered in my second day there is a Woolworths less than 5 minutes walk, it's on the way to Wolli Creek train station. For dinner there is the hotel or the local rowing club across the road, so it's not as isolated as others have reviewed. I would stay here again, good location.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Sue M,

Your review is a pleasure to read. I am very glad to hear that you chose to stay with us and had a comfortable experience.
I do try to address the points made in your review through management responses on other Tripadvisor reviews, but it is great for this information to come directly from a guest who has stayed with us.

Thank you for staying and I wish to welcome you back shortly Sue.

Far North Coast, NSW
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Has potential to be a nice hotel to stay at as rooms are quite spacious but was lacking in several areas.....when you arrive the foyer is full of second-hand smoke due to a gathering of smokers at the front door. We were disappointed that there was no complementary water provided in the room, given that there are no shops anywhere nearby, this would have been a nice gesture and in my experience is always provided at any hotels I've stayed at. Also, no complementary WiFi provided - again, this seems odd (and cheap) given that it is an 'airport hotel' and all travellers need WiFi!
We ate at the bar restaurant and the food was reasonably priced and enjoyable, but the poor guy behind the bar was the only one on duty and was run of his feet! He did a brilliant job given the amount of guests he had to attend to.
TWO things to keep in mind if staying here...some rooms overlook a main road, which was very noisy from a very early hour...also, if you catch a taxi from the airport (instead of the shuttle bus) our taxi driver told us it cost him $3.50 to drive us into the carpark of the hotel, so he added this to our fare which then came to $18. I'd say drop me off before entering the carpark as it is on 20 steps from reception. I don't like being ripped-off by taxi drivers......

Room Tip: Away from main road
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear 4evaLuv-Holidays,

Thank you for your review.

Please excuse any irritation caused from guests smoking at the front entrance of the hotel as this is not a designated smoking area.

Please be advised that our accommodation rooms have double glazed windows as well as blackout curtains to ensure that noise from local surrounds does not penetrate into rooms.

You should not be charged by a Taxi driver for entering our car park. This is not standard practice and we have a one hour free parking window for pick-up and drop off purposes. I would greatly appreciate if you were to contact me with further information on this.
Bear in mind that all fares from Sydney Airport terminals incur a Sydney Airport surcharge regardless of destination. This may be the fee that your taxi driver was referring to.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I don't expect too much from airport hotels, but this was a very poor experience. The bedroom was adequate, but the foyer, reception and all communal areas were completely lacking in ambience and welcome. I noticed in a previous review the hotel has been refurbished, and so maybe this is a work in progress, but the setting made me feel like a commodity and not a valued guest. Plus the wifi was only free for 30m, and not good, but after that it was $24. Plastic cover under bedclothes not nice. Only good as a completely functional stopover.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marion T
JRHSydney, General Manager at Mercure Sydney International Airport, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear Marion T,

Thank you for your detailed review.

It is reviews like these from which we obtain vital information in regards to guest perspective.
We value our guests and their needs immensely as they are the life blood of our industry.

Our hotel did complete a multimillion dollar refurbishment in June last year enhancing superior rooms and public areas to be contemporary and comfortable. Regardless your experience has been noted and I have discussed with all the relevant departments.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wolli Creek
Rydges Sydney Airport Hotel
Quality Hotel CKS Sydney Airport
Stamford Plaza Sydney Airport
Holiday Inn Sydney Airport
Meriton Serviced Apartments Mascot Central
Ibis Budget Hotel Sydney Airport

Been to Mercure Sydney International Airport? Share your experiences!