“Very Disappointing !”

Ranked #2 of 40 Restaurants in Jim Thorpe
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Cozy, warm and intimate atmosphere. Restored 1860's mansion with original woodwork and fireplaces. Casual or elegant...we are what you make us to be. We are all about the experience you'll have. Resident entertainer Melissa Van Fleet performing smooth, sultry jazz every weekend. Everything is TOP SHELF especially the presentation and staff dedicated to the utmost in service.
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I will start out by saying this is the first time I have ever written a review. Having said that - I would like to add we dine out at least once a week. We recently dined at Tony Stella's Encore on 07-26-14 and were left dumbfounded. After reading all the good reviews on trip adviser, we were excited to try the place. We came away very disappointed, to say the least. I ordered the crab cakes and for $31 I expected actual crab to be visible throughout the two patties. Not so. They were more stuffing than anything else . . . slightly better than Mrs. Paul's. My friend had 2 appetizers for dinner. The first one (Zuppa di Clams) was very nice (I tried it as well), but the second one was a mix of crab and shrimp in what Tony said was a spicy pesto sauce. Well . . another disappointment! Like my crab cakes, it was quite ordinary, even bland. It amounted to 4 pieces of shrimp and 4 small claws of crab with V-8 poured over it for $18. Our dinner bill for 2 drinks each, 2 appetizers and 1 dinner was $113.00 ! ! ! I always say "money spent on good food, is money well spent". At Tony Stella's Encore - NOT so much. Wayyy overpriced for the quality. I wouldn't return, and I would not recommend it. He stated to several dinner guests that this was his 3rd restaurant in so many years. Kind of makes you wonder why ? I give the place a year or two till he moves again.

7  Thank klarknlois

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Tony knows how to run a restaurant, and it made for a very memorable 15th anniversary dinner. You not only get an amazing meal, but the entire dining experience is exceptional. Tony seated us and explained the specials and a few select menu items, and did it in a way that showed a passion for what he did. His staff compliments his style well, and saw to it that our drinks were always full and our dishes, which were absolutely delicious, were served and cleared timely. When my wife and I told Tony that we based our decision to eat at his place from the TripAdvisor reviews, he took the time to tell us how he came to own the restaurant and the effort it's taken him to move the place up the rankings. That effort clearly shows, and not only will we return the next time we visit Jim Thorpe with our kids for some rafting, but we have already recommended Encore to friends that plan to be there in a couple of months.

3  Thank David E
Reviewed 28 July 2014

This is by far one of the best restaurants I have been to in a long time…From the moment you enter, you are greeted by the owner Tony who makes you feel comfortable…The food is absolutely amazing. What a gem. The four of us loved every course. His recommendations were truly true to his word…Don't visit this area without trying this restaurant. You will want to go back

3  Thank conderost
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My husband and I are still gushing about the dining experience we experienced over this weekend at Encore. We didn't have reservations but Tony squeezed us in anyway and thankfully right next to the most talented pianist singer we've heard in a long time (Melissa). The method of server 'management' was truly unique; wasn't made up of different waiters/waitresses servicing specific tables but instead, it was a beautiful/constant coordination of 3-4 people, including Tony himself, taking the orders; bringing the drinks/removing plates, etc. I even asked one of the workers if they were all related because they seemed to have a true investment in the company as opposed to being "just" employees. the food of course was off the charts. We have very high standards and expectations of dining experience and Encore surpassed our hopes and expectations. I would definitely recommend this place and we are already talking about a return trip, both to the area of Jim Thrope which is absolutely charming, and especially to Encore. I don't think I'd eat dinner anywhere else after being so spoiled!

3  Thank Dennise360
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We enjoyed some Absinthe in the bar before dinner as well as some cocktails. Our bartender was knowledgeable and friendly and helped my husband, who has enjoyed Absinthe in the past, select just the right variety.

When we were seated in the dining room, the waitresses were nothing less than attentive to just the right degree, and Tony presented the specials with a flourish you only get from someone with a true passion for their work.

I had the salmon spiral with lump crab and my husband had the fillet. Both were cooked to perfection and the portions were so ample that we ended up taking the pasta sides to go.

My only regret is that I didn't have enough room to try and of the desserts - I was really hoping to try the bananas foster.

We have eaten in many fabulous restaurants, the most notable of which were in New Orleans. Encore gave us that same experience. We would happily return to Jim Thorpe for the day simply to dine here.

Encore defines what good restaurants are all about: passion for food and fabulous service from each and every member of the staff.

3  Thank jk2121