“Too close for comfort”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jim Thorpe
Jim Thorpe Camping Resort
New Jersey
“Too close for comfort”
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My husband and I camped here along with a friend from Friday 6/24 through Sunday 6/26. We had not camped in a long time and were excited to get to our site after check in. Our tent site was large but close to the road. I was worried the traffic might keep us awake. It turns out it was the rude, obnoxious campers 3 trailers down who thought it was acceptable to hoot and hollar until 5am!!! By saturday night, the majority of the campsites were filled by tents or RVs.

On the positive side, the campsite is very clean, the bathrooms and showers are also very well kept. There is a store, gameroom, laundry room, pool, playground, and horseshoe pit on site. They also allow pets, provided they are on a leash. The campsite itself was nice and everything we needed was a short walk away. The girl at the front desk was cordial despite being very busy.

Although the overall campsite was good, I'm not sure I would stay again as quiet hours were clearly not enforced and if you own an RV, be prepared to make nice with your neighbors, they won't be far away.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank gak146

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wenonah, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We camped here in a 34 ft travel trailer. We arrived after dark on a Friday night. There was one girl who was covering the check ins at the counter. We asked to have someone take us to the site, (it's not easy turning around a 34 ft trailer) but there was no one there to help her. Another camper showed us the site. The site was very small. We fit into it but we were butted right up to our neighbors awning. Because it was October we weren't eating outside anyway. It was a good thing because there wasn't really any room to do that. The site was near the road and you could hear cars/trucks passing all night long. The roads in the campground were poorly marked and needed repairs. On a scale from one to 10 I'd give this a 5. Not completely terrible but I'd fine another place to stay if you can.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank outback106
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I was wary, given the very negative reviews, but decided to take a chance. Plans were already made and our deposit paid. Pre-trip, I put in a few calls and found the staff to be very customer-service savy. Ordinarily we prefer state or national parks for camping, and generally try to stay away from private campgrounds, but this seemed to be the only choice in the Jim Thorpe area where we could get a cabin. We were a little taken aback by all the huge posters with the rules and the don'ts listed. Apparently, since they're a private campground, alcohol is allowed and they have to be quite strict to avoid potential bedlam. Our cabin was fine, as these type of cabins go: just a room and beds. We were delighted to be inside when the rain poured down the first night. The campground filled up pretty quickly, and it was quiet and without incident. It was a beautiful pre-fall weekend and lots of bluegrass fans camped for the festival nearby at Mauch Chunk Lake. I'd have to say that the campsites looked very cramped. Even the cabins were right on top of each other and I can imagine what it must be like in the summer. The bathrooms were well taken care of--no spider webs or dead leaves and plenty of hot water. Jim Thorpe itself is a lovely town in an area where there's lots to do. We biked the Lehigh Gorge one day and then went a few miles north to Hickory Run to hike. Another enjoyable day was spent wandering in and out of the shops on main street and taking a tour of the Asa Packer mansion with a knowledgeable & informative guide. We will return later in the fall.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ARLmom
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 September 2010

this place is not a place to take your trailer or motor home.. stay away.. owners/managers are rude! we bought a new trailer pulled in to the campground and left because it was so bad.. we didnt even want our money back becasue we were scared to end up arguing in infront of other people and our kids. we found another great place to stay near by... STAY AWAY

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank CampingFool60789

Travellers are raving about these Jim Thorpe hotels

Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 August 2010

This is the worst camping experience I have ever had- for reference, I have been to over 50 or 60 campgrounds in my life all over the US and in Iceland. The tent site we were given was very cramped, which would have been ok with us had the owner not had a psychotic episode at 3am and 8am. He drove past our site at night screaming at us, claiming we were making too much noise and that we had to leave the next day. Meanwhile, there was a screaming baby on the site next to ours, which did not seem to bother him. He demanded that we all go to bed, which we promptly did (this guy is pretty scary, especially at 3am in the dark). At 8am Psycho Owner returned with another employee who looked and acted like Officer Dewey from the Scream movies. They startled us awake by screaming my friend's name, who booked the reservation. Our group rented a cabin and another tent site as well, which was also abruptly woken up and asked to leave. Officer Dewey and Psycho Owner said "we were disturbing the peace and breached the contract" and had 15 minutes to leave or else they would call the cops. We tried to reason with him, explaining that we went to bed when we were told we were being disruptive and that we did not know we were bothering anyone until he told us and that there was a baby screaming well past 5am. This was a futile effort. So, is anyone able to pack up a campsite in 15 minutes at 8am...no. They kept rushing us and finally after about 30 minutes we were all packed up and over at the cabin meeting the rest of our party. Officer Dewey was driving up and down on the road in a tractor, which we figured was some form of red-neck intimidation. In the midst of this psychotic episode by the cabin, one of my friends got the Psycho Owner to admit that when he drove past at 3am, he did not hear us making noise. Our neighbors saw us packing (or more like throwing our stuff into the car) were surprised that we were leaving and said they did not hear us at all and they were up well past 4am. We drove away and found a beautiful state park to camp in. Although this was inconvenient, I would not have wanted to stay at Psycho Owner's campground anyway.

This campsite should have a negative Rating but I don’t have that as a Rating option. This is and AWFUL place run by a CRAZY MAN with INCOMPETENT staff and NEVER in my life have I been kicked out of a campground for NO REASON!

The only bright side is that it makes a funny story. I’m really mad at myself for not checking the reviews before camping here- you should really believe what you read on these sites.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
10 Thank vmd0709
Sounderton
Reviewed 2 August 2010

My family (husband, son -7 yrs old) and I had a great time at the campground over July 4th week! The bathrooms and laundry rooms were very clean and the owners were very nice. There were tons of fun activities for the kids but the best was the Ms. Jim Thorpe Campground contest!!!!

I found the campground to have many perks such as trails at the base of the campground which were wonderful for runs up to the lake and/or bike rides. My husband and son had a awesome time fishing on the creek which is also at the base of the campground. The pool was perfect.. clear, warm water to cool us off. We plan on going back for Labor Day weekend!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank runningchic
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We stayed at this campground for 3 nights .. one extra because of car trouble. The owner let us use his truck and helped usget mechanial assistance. They were friendly and helpful. The pool was awesome and the bathrroms were very clean. not sure why all the negative comments on the internet .. don't believe what you read.. its a great get away and relaxing!!!

• Stayed July 2010
#1 of 1 in Jim Thorpe
Mahoning Inn
Mahoning Inn
#3 of 3 in Lehighton
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hazleton
The Parsonage Bed and Breakfast

Been to Jim Thorpe Camping Resort? Share your experiences!