“OWNER IS NASTY AND HAS NO PROBLEM CURSING AT YOU!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jim Thorpe
Jim Thorpe Camping Resort
AC, NJ
“OWNER IS NASTY AND HAS NO PROBLEM CURSING AT YOU!”
Reviewed 23 July 2011

My family and I got 4 cabins all together, that was the only positive thing I can say! I do not have enough words to express how nasty these people are! I checked in only one cabin on a Thurs at 230pm, went to drop my stuff off and notice an ant problem inside the cabin. I asked to have someone come and spray that I would be in town all day, at 8pm when I returned no one had ever come so I decided to stay elsewhere since there is no one there to help after the office closed at 8pm. The next day my entire family, 20 of us came to check in to all the cabins and found that the ants were still there, It took the entire day of spraying over and over and used 2 cans of ant spray to get rid of them. the next day a guy (the owner) came flying up into our camp site on his golf cart cursing at me and my sweet grandmother who was mortified only because we had a visitor arrive and we were not aware she had to "register and pay a $10 fee" just to come say hi. We went to the office to register her and he proceeded to CURSE at us and tell her to get off the -- property or he would call the cops on us! We were simply doing as he asked and went to register her, but he continued to scream and curse at us. We did later find out that he is known for kicking people out for NO REASON and having cursing episodes at most campers! If you have children do not take the chance, this guy is really mean and nasty! NOTE: We have camped at the Mauch Chunk Lake for 8 years in a row, but the site we really like was not available so we decided to try this place out....I WILL NEVER RETURN HERE AND WILL BE GOING BACK TO THE MAUCH CHUNK LAKE where they are hospitable and appreciate your business!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank ACopinionAc_Nj

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
NYC
Reviewed 18 July 2011

TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE AND INCOMPETENT BOOKKEEPING. CHECK YOUR CREDIT CARD STATEMENTS!!
We were warned by Jim Thorpe locals about this campground but decided to stay here because it was cheap and when we stayed here last year, it was fine. With high hopes, we booked 4 months in advance: 3 cabins together for our family. We even requested specific cabin numbers and was told it was no problem. I confirmed our reservations a week before our trip.
First, our credit card had been charged twice for the deposit and after 3 phone calls and 2 emails, I finally got someone on the phone who rudely claimed it had been refunded.

Second, when we arrived at the campground, not only were our three cabins nowhere near each other, but two of the cabins were in the worst spot on the campground-right by the entrance-no trees, on top of the playground and pool and practically on the road. When I asked the girl at the desk why our request for three cabins together had not been honored, she said we could have our money back. I asked her where else we would stay since everything was booked and she just shrugged. I asked her why we had the worst cabins in the campground and she said that was our opinion. It was unreal. They were totally unapologetic and rude. Our family vacation was not at all what we expected, unfortunately.
While I was checking out, I overheard another family complaining about being charged twice and the employee said she couldn't tell what had been charged to their card, but wait a week and check back. That kind of accounting should be illegal!
Other reviews of this place are correct-the bathrooms are disgusting, the noise level is outrageous and the owners are unbelievably rude and ungracious. Not the place to take your family or spend a relaxing weekend.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank SimieMom

Travellers are raving about these Jim Thorpe hotels

New Jersey
Reviewed 28 June 2011

My husband and I camped here along with a friend from Friday 6/24 through Sunday 6/26. We had not camped in a long time and were excited to get to our site after check in. Our tent site was large but close to the road. I was worried the traffic might keep us awake. It turns out it was the rude, obnoxious campers 3 trailers down who thought it was acceptable to hoot and hollar until 5am!!! By saturday night, the majority of the campsites were filled by tents or RVs.

On the positive side, the campsite is very clean, the bathrooms and showers are also very well kept. There is a store, gameroom, laundry room, pool, playground, and horseshoe pit on site. They also allow pets, provided they are on a leash. The campsite itself was nice and everything we needed was a short walk away. The girl at the front desk was cordial despite being very busy.

Although the overall campsite was good, I'm not sure I would stay again as quiet hours were clearly not enforced and if you own an RV, be prepared to make nice with your neighbors, they won't be far away.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank gak146
Wenonah, New Jersey
Reviewed 12 October 2010

We camped here in a 34 ft travel trailer. We arrived after dark on a Friday night. There was one girl who was covering the check ins at the counter. We asked to have someone take us to the site, (it's not easy turning around a 34 ft trailer) but there was no one there to help her. Another camper showed us the site. The site was very small. We fit into it but we were butted right up to our neighbors awning. Because it was October we weren't eating outside anyway. It was a good thing because there wasn't really any room to do that. The site was near the road and you could hear cars/trucks passing all night long. The roads in the campground were poorly marked and needed repairs. On a scale from one to 10 I'd give this a 5. Not completely terrible but I'd fine another place to stay if you can.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank outback106
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 27 September 2010

I was wary, given the very negative reviews, but decided to take a chance. Plans were already made and our deposit paid. Pre-trip, I put in a few calls and found the staff to be very customer-service savy. Ordinarily we prefer state or national parks for camping, and generally try to stay away from private campgrounds, but this seemed to be the only choice in the Jim Thorpe area where we could get a cabin. We were a little taken aback by all the huge posters with the rules and the don'ts listed. Apparently, since they're a private campground, alcohol is allowed and they have to be quite strict to avoid potential bedlam. Our cabin was fine, as these type of cabins go: just a room and beds. We were delighted to be inside when the rain poured down the first night. The campground filled up pretty quickly, and it was quiet and without incident. It was a beautiful pre-fall weekend and lots of bluegrass fans camped for the festival nearby at Mauch Chunk Lake. I'd have to say that the campsites looked very cramped. Even the cabins were right on top of each other and I can imagine what it must be like in the summer. The bathrooms were well taken care of--no spider webs or dead leaves and plenty of hot water. Jim Thorpe itself is a lovely town in an area where there's lots to do. We biked the Lehigh Gorge one day and then went a few miles north to Hickory Run to hike. Another enjoyable day was spent wandering in and out of the shops on main street and taking a tour of the Asa Packer mansion with a knowledgeable & informative guide. We will return later in the fall.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ARLmom
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 September 2010

this place is not a place to take your trailer or motor home.. stay away.. owners/managers are rude! we bought a new trailer pulled in to the campground and left because it was so bad.. we didnt even want our money back becasue we were scared to end up arguing in infront of other people and our kids. we found another great place to stay near by... STAY AWAY

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank CampingFool60789
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 August 2010

This is the worst camping experience I have ever had- for reference, I have been to over 50 or 60 campgrounds in my life all over the US and in Iceland. The tent site we were given was very cramped, which would have been ok with us had the owner not had a psychotic episode at 3am and 8am. He drove past our site at night screaming at us, claiming we were making too much noise and that we had to leave the next day. Meanwhile, there was a screaming baby on the site next to ours, which did not seem to bother him. He demanded that we all go to bed, which we promptly did (this guy is pretty scary, especially at 3am in the dark). At 8am Psycho Owner returned with another employee who looked and acted like Officer Dewey from the Scream movies. They startled us awake by screaming my friend's name, who booked the reservation. Our group rented a cabin and another tent site as well, which was also abruptly woken up and asked to leave. Officer Dewey and Psycho Owner said "we were disturbing the peace and breached the contract" and had 15 minutes to leave or else they would call the cops. We tried to reason with him, explaining that we went to bed when we were told we were being disruptive and that we did not know we were bothering anyone until he told us and that there was a baby screaming well past 5am. This was a futile effort. So, is anyone able to pack up a campsite in 15 minutes at 8am...no. They kept rushing us and finally after about 30 minutes we were all packed up and over at the cabin meeting the rest of our party. Officer Dewey was driving up and down on the road in a tractor, which we figured was some form of red-neck intimidation. In the midst of this psychotic episode by the cabin, one of my friends got the Psycho Owner to admit that when he drove past at 3am, he did not hear us making noise. Our neighbors saw us packing (or more like throwing our stuff into the car) were surprised that we were leaving and said they did not hear us at all and they were up well past 4am. We drove away and found a beautiful state park to camp in. Although this was inconvenient, I would not have wanted to stay at Psycho Owner's campground anyway.

This campsite should have a negative Rating but I don’t have that as a Rating option. This is and AWFUL place run by a CRAZY MAN with INCOMPETENT staff and NEVER in my life have I been kicked out of a campground for NO REASON!

The only bright side is that it makes a funny story. I’m really mad at myself for not checking the reviews before camping here- you should really believe what you read on these sites.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
10 Thank vmd0709
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jim Thorpe
Inn at Jim Thorpe
Inn at Jim Thorpe
#1 of 1 in Jim Thorpe
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe
Mahoning Inn
Mahoning Inn
#3 of 3 in Lehighton
Fairfield Inn & Suites Hazleton
The Parsonage Bed and Breakfast

Been to Jim Thorpe Camping Resort? Share your experiences!