“Good Food”

Cuisines: American
Middletown, New York
“Good Food”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Initially, we were not looking for a place to eat. We were on our way to Penn's Peak Theater to attend a concert. The venue is a hidden place in the middle of nowhere. We decided to stop at Tommy's to confirm we were still going the correct way to the theater, being that we were in the middle of nowhere.

We looked at their menu and they advertise steal sandwiches are one of their specialties and I like Philly cheese steak sandwiches. This place was not in Philly but in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania.

I tried the steak sandwich. It was very good. The "delmonico" steak was thicker and juicier than the normal Philly cheese steak. There was no cheese on the sandwich but I had the onions. The sandwich was topped with onion rings.

We also had the fish and chips. The fish and the accompanying french fries were tasty and crisp. The price were very reasonable.

We were really surprised that the two dinners were that good at an out of the way sandwich shop on our way to a hidden theater to attend a concert.

All we wanted was directions and, instead, we received directions and a very good meal.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Doug F

Easton, Pennsylvania
“One of the Best Sandwiches EVER !”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My friend and I were in Jim Thorpe this weekend for a wrestling tournament. We went to Tommy's Subs and Steaks afterwards to eat. One of the best decisions I've made in a long time !!! I ordered the Buffalo Chicken Steak Sandwich. It was UNBELIEVABLE. So fresh and tasty, with just the right amount of "kick" to it. The french fries (and you get a lot of them) were also really, really good. My buddy ordered a 12-inch Cheese Steak. He said it was better than a "Philly Cheese Steak". The staff was courteous, friendly and very helpful when it came to recommendations. I experienced none of alleged "shortcomings" detailed in two other reviews. Our experience was Fantastic !!!

• Visited February 2013
Waverly, New York
“Highly overrated”
Reviewed 7 September 2012

The buzz was that this place had authentic Philly cheesesteaks. The subs were expensive, the meat was bland, the rolls were on the stale side, the service wasn't that great. A big disappointment. Maybe we caught them on a bad day.

Visited October 2011
2 Thank CMennig
“Staff likes to clean rather than take your order”
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Ive gone here a few times in the last couple years and was sorry everytime I walked in. I would walk in around 7:30-8:00pm on a weekday and the staff would never take my order inside of 10mins. They would rather not be bothered and have you walk out. The food is ok, but nothing special. I would try the other places in town, definitely leave this one behind.

1 Thank Tacticalgnome
Philadelphia
“A Gem”
Reviewed 22 July 2010

When you walk into any place and it's loaded with locals, you know you've struck paydirt. Two 12-inch Philly cheesesteaks (with all the fixins' , no extra charges) for $10 (July '10). And, they're *good*. Very good bread and no gristle in the meat.

One warning: If you get a cheesesteak or steak hoagie, they might ask if you want it "California style". "California style" means they leave the meat in solid pieces, not chopped. I forgot to tell them I wanted it chopped. The sandwich was still tender and quite edible; I just prefer it chopped.

The kids who work there are very polite, too. Give them a tip, even if your order is take-out.