“BEST FOOD IN TOWN....PERIOD.”
Review of Tommy's Subs

Tommy's Subs
Ranked #16 of 40 Restaurants in Jim Thorpe
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 1 July 2014

If you look for the small local places to eat, this is it. Pretty basic menu, nothing fancy, but the food is AWESOME. Be sure to try a Rambo, very interesting concoction. I also highly recommend the angel steak, Italian hoagie, clam strips, cheesesteaks, salads and everything else they serve. Whatever you do, don't forget to drink a Bear Creak Iced Tea! Best Iced Tea you will ever drink!

1  Thank Jason H

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Tommy's Subs is the place to go while visiting Jim Thorpe. The wife and I found this local establishment and couldn't have been more happy! We enjoyed the best sandwiches ever. Home made bread and delicious fresh meats and cheese.
I enjoyed the Rambo. Which is comprised of cheesesteak meat, mozzarella sticks, french fries, and popcorn chicken. None of the ingredients were overpowering and an 8in was perfect for dinner. The wife enjoyed grilled chicken and American cheese with lettuce and tomato. Happy all around.
Service was excellent and price can't be beat. We were out of there for less than $10.

3  Thank Ran D
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I found Tommy's by dating a girl who had family in the area. This is a local secret. A true sandwich shop that worries about good food, good service and keeping the costs down.
This area is depressed. Many jobs have moved out. This place survives and thrives for all of the above. I can get a huge half sand for under 5 bucks.
One reviewer below knocked the joint. Must be an angry and demanding NY or something. I lived in SE PA all my life. Come from a town full of sandwich shops that all have to distinguish themselves. Tommy's would thrive there.
Prices way lower than any chain sub shop
Gives you just as much as some of the chain shops known for overstuffed sandwiches.
I have never seen less than 5 people behind the counter and they BUST their humps. All good hardworking kids and an adult or two. Good work ethic.
The décor. OK Tommy's is clean but rustic would be the polite word to use. It needs a little fixing up but the place is safe and kept clean.
The rolls are made fresh and that is what makes this place great. Lets be honest, lunch meat can vary from cheap to Boars Head. Tommy's I suspect uses something in between but their rolls make these taste better than the chain sub shop in town.
So if you are in town, and hungry, short on time, and not looking for a sit down meal... stop in. You will be happy you did.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Initially, we were not looking for a place to eat. We were on our way to Penn's Peak Theater to attend a concert. The venue is a hidden place in the middle of nowhere. We decided to stop at Tommy's to confirm we were still going the correct way to the theater, being that we were in the middle of nowhere.

We looked at their menu and they advertise steal sandwiches are one of their specialties and I like Philly cheese steak sandwiches. This place was not in Philly but in Jim Thorpe, Pennsylvania.

I tried the steak sandwich. It was very good. The "delmonico" steak was thicker and juicier than the normal Philly cheese steak. There was no cheese on the sandwich but I had the onions. The sandwich was topped with onion rings.

We also had the fish and chips. The fish and the accompanying french fries were tasty and crisp. The price were very reasonable.

We were really surprised that the two dinners were that good at an out of the way sandwich shop on our way to a hidden theater to attend a concert.

All we wanted was directions and, instead, we received directions and a very good meal.

1  Thank Doug F
Reviewed 25 February 2013

My friend and I were in Jim Thorpe this weekend for a wrestling tournament. We went to Tommy's Subs and Steaks afterwards to eat. One of the best decisions I've made in a long time !!! I ordered the Buffalo Chicken Steak Sandwich. It was UNBELIEVABLE. So fresh and tasty, with just the right amount of "kick" to it. The french fries (and you get a lot of them) were also really, really good. My buddy ordered a 12-inch Cheese Steak. He said it was better than a "Philly Cheese Steak". The staff was courteous, friendly and very helpful when it came to recommendations. I experienced none of alleged "shortcomings" detailed in two other reviews. Our experience was Fantastic !!!