“Great place, unique experience”

Bear Mountain Butterfly Sanctuary
Ranked #6 of 25 things to do in Jim Thorpe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Closed until May 27, 2017 Please see the Bear Mountain Butterfly Website for information on dates and events for 2017.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is out second year visiting the butterfly sanctuary. Our girls (ages 3 and 6) had an amazing time. They loved being in the room with all the butterflies and being able to go from the crafts, to the frogs, back to the butterflies again. The staff is very informative and knowledgeable. They took their time and answered all my girl's questions. The gift shop is every little girl's fantasy and the prices are very reasonable. It is a small place so I could not imagine spending more than an hour and a half there but it is a great place to visit, especially with young kids.

Mari G, Owner at Bear Mountain Butterfly Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

It makes us so happy to hear what a great time you had , I hope we will see you again, the experience will change as your children grow up: building on their gained knowledge and the connection with the living creatures around them will straighten. Thanks for the kind words.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

This was our second trip to the sanctuary. We had nine in our party... my husband, my mother and our six children aged 14 to 2. The kids LOVE the exhibits, the film and being able to act out the cycles of butterflies. We spent two HOURS there today: we did crafts, watched the film, the kids asked a ton of questions, we watched the frogs and tarantulas and feed the butterflies... all without being rushed or over crowded.

My mother had never experienced anything like it and absolutely loved the sanctuary. We are planning to bring my nieces and nephews when they come visit!

1  Thank Elphalba

I remember your group, it WAS fun. Your experience is what it's all about for us,so glad you are planning another visit. Our Dart tadpoles are becoming frog-lets ! Boy are they cute.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

Fun little video and was neat to see the frogs. The butterfly exhibit was pretty limited. We were done in under 10 minutes (one small room) and had talked with the young guy working there about all that they had. The opening movie was nice and you should see it if you go. I wouldn't drive out of my way to do this one. Nice people, just too limited in what there was to see and do. Pretty much set up for young children who would likely enjoy it (simple crafts, etc)

Reviewed 26 May 2013

We had six in our party....2 senior citizens, 3 older adults and 1 almost adult. We really enjoyed ourselves. This is not a high-tech experience, however if you want to spend an enjoyable 90 minutes with knowledgeable and caring staff while getting to know more about butterflies....this is the place to be. We will bring other people to this cute little attraction.

Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stopped by the sanctuary by chance on our way to my aunts condo. Immediately upon entering we met the owner, who gave us our tickets and explained what events take place in each room. They have a beautiful array of butterflies and ultra knowledgeable staff. We fed and held butterflies and moths (they have beautiful Luna Moths on site). Ask T.J. about the moths. He was really helpful. My three year old lit up. She was so excited!
They also have a movie they show that was very informative. Another really neat thing is that the show the butterflies and moths in each stage of metamorphosis. They have huge and beautiful caterpillars that they have available to show the children. The owner also does crafts with the kids, which is a nice addition.
On site also, are poison dart frogs and a really cool tarantula. They are small exhibits, but they really aren't the focus of the facility. There is something here for everyone (Adults and children, photographers and sight seers). We will be going back. Thank you Butterfly Sanctuary!!!

1  Thank cgrey09
Mari G, Owner at Bear Mountain Butterfly Sanctuary, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

We are so glad that you enjoyed your visit so much, that's our #1 goal. Well, actually, my staff and I enjoy being there too. We are passionate about it in fact. Thanks for allowing us to share all that we have to offer. We are almost finished for this season but have some fun new plans for 2013. Visit us again please.