“Great Pub!”

Molly Maguires Pub & Steakhouse
Ranked #4 of 37 Restaurants in Jim Thorpe
Cuisines: American, Irish, Bar, Pub
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Kids, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Brunch, After-hours, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hudson, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Pub!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

If you get the chance to read up on the history if the town you will immediately target This place to grab a beer. Great food and a friendly atmosphere that was kid friendly. I always look for great food and cleanliness. I was pleasantly surprised, as silly as it sounds, that the bathrooms passed the test. It was clean enough that my six year old daughter could go without me feeling like I needed to decontaminate her afterwards. I love this place and always grab a shirt when I am in town.

Chesapeake, Virginia
“What a fun time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

We had dinner here the night before St. Patrick's Day. Ask for Chad (the smartass waiter). He had us rolling in the floor laughing! The crabcake sandwich was good, as was the meatloaf and garlic mashed potatoes. The garlic green beans and potato pancakes were excellent! Save room for dessert. We had the chocolate lava cake, yum!, but we wanted the apple pie, white chocolate blueberry cheesecake and the triple chocolate cheesecake (I think) too! Guess we'll have to come back. Great service, great atmosphere and everyone at the bar seemed happy too.

• Visited March 2014
Dickson City, Pennsylvania
“A pub experience with outstanding food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

My first visit to Molly Maguires will not be my last. The occasion was for my wife and I to meet up with an old friend and we were looking for a place with character. Molly Maguires did not disappoint.

The restaurant is two rooms, a bar with several booths and a dining room with tables. The decorations are like those found in many other bars with a few nice touches. The large, stained glass Claddaugh on the wall caught our interest.

The food was outstanding and was far above what we expected. The crab dip and tortia chip appetizer was better than most seafood restaurants. For dinner, my friend recomended the burgers which have quite a word of mouth recommendation. It was pink (as ordered), moist but not greasy, big and flavorful. I would rate their burgers higher than 5 Guys, Red Robin or Ruby Tuesday. My wife had a "Silver Sandwhich" with Swiss Chees, Ham on Marble Rye which was stuffed and we both had a mound of fries. Our friend had a shrimp appetizer as a meal which she raved about.

Of course, one goes to a pub for beer and this place had a nice selection both on tap and in bottles. If you like craft beers you can not go wrong here.

One downside to Molly is that it is small and loud. In a pub, I expect this and look to it as good atmosphere but if you want roomy and quiet you may be disappointed.

• Visited March 2014
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“The whole package!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

My wife and I booked an overnight trip to Jim Thorpe. We love the town, have visited quite a few times on day trips, but we wanted to experience the night life, and just needed a "get away" weekend.

We arrived a little earlier than check-in, we wanted to check out Libations Lounge (see separate review). We had a drink at Molly Maguire's bar, and were chatting with the bartender. We mentioned we were staying upstairs. She asked our names, and the next thing we knew, we were checked in. That simple.

The room is clean, the bathroom looks like it was recently remodeled, and the bed is comfortable. There is a television with cable in the room, but we didn't watch much television, we were out and about the town. I can't give much more of a review on the room than that, we only slept in it.

As far as the pub, it is a pub. If you're looking for formal fine dining, this is not your place. If you're looking for reasonably priced good food, then you've hit the jackpot! They offer typical pub fare (burgers, fries, etc) but also have entrees, which are very good, and well portioned. Beers are cold, service is fast and friendly, and the overall experience is enjoyable. It's a big hangout for the locals, but a quick "hello" and some small talk, and the next thing you know, you're surrounded by friends!

This is a "must stop" for us every time we're in Jim Thorpe. Highly recommended.

• Visited January 2014
Maryland
“Definitely a bar, but lots of positives”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2014

My wife and I, and two friends, went there on a Friday night in January for some drinks and a burger. It was fairly crowded and noisy. Seemed like a popular place for locals. It seemed a little run down, but the food and service was good. I had a burger, which was fantastic. They had some interesting beers on tap.

Visited January 2014