“Don't miss it.” 5 of 5 bubbles

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Don't miss it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2011

Our daughter is eleven and loves art. We spent a couple hours learning about Stabin's artwork and the inspiration behind it, enjoying dinner at the attached restaurant, and purchasing a unique book of his artwork. (Fabulous studio "hotel room" upstairs if you're looking for a unique place to stay!)
Our visit here was a highlight of our trip!

Visited September 2011
2 Thank Samantha M

Huntington, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Victor Stabin Art Gallery is a dream-scape "Turtle Series" is amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2011

Victor Stabin's art is amazing and has a level of detail you just don't see everyday. His artistic connection with nature through his use of color, shape and form makes his work outstanding! The gallery space itself is vast, and encompasses many different rooms with different themes.

The main room is filled with original Stabin oils paintings that have an environmental dream-scape calling. I could not stop gazing at "Getting Ready" and the "Turtle Series" which has different subjects posing with turtles in surreal stances. Also, make sure you see the "Fish Ferris Wheel" oil painting, it will make you chuckle and will give you a glimpse into the humorous side of this artist, who...if your lucky, you could catch strolling around the place, as I did.

One of the other rooms features original sketches from his soon to be published "Daedal Doodle" book. Mr. Stabin explained to me that this was an "adult & children's ABC book", which has an astonishing maze of improbable alliterative combination. Yet another look into the complex and absurd mind of this artist. One example I liked was the letter A - Apperceptive Achatina - which means (first word) "conscious of its own consciousness" (second word) gigantic African Snail. The sketch: a fancy, elaborate snail staring at itself in a mirror...a perfect Narcissus. Too much - I laughed out loud! Needless to say, I'll be getting the book!

I could go on and on, but I'll sum up by saying Stabin's art is worth seeing, and you can even get a limited edition art print, I have one myself!

Lastly, (and to my surprise), in the same building as the Victor Stabin Gallery is Stabin's "Flow" Restaurant, which can be likened to a slice of SOHO nestled into the mountains of a charming storybook town. The food is delicious! But more than that it's interesting and on the gourmet side of life, which is the way I like things! The atmosphere is cool and comfortable, echoing the feel of a modern Parisian brasserie with tasteful art and lighting. This 170- year-old converted factory building from yester-year now has a shiny hard wood floors with a cut out section covered with glass so you can actually view the water which runs underneath "Flow"! Beautiful! And yes, another Stabin design!

Visited March 2011