“Buyer Beware”

Jim Thorpe River Adventures
Reviewed 20 August 2012

3 of my friends and I did the class 3 rapids adventure recently and were very unimpressed. I have rafted before in West Virginia on class 5 rapids and that was organized and run more professionally than JT Adventures. We were equipped with a life vest and paddle yet no helmets yet the guides all had helmets. This should have been my first warning! I was also surprised that there was not a guide for each raft; there were guides on the river to assist. However, there were about 30 other rafts grouped with us with only 4 guides total for the whole day. This was not adequate enough for such a large group of rafters. We had a very brief overview in the beginning before the bus ride but this was still not enough to inform us how to proceed down the river. All the rafts would bunch together down the rapids making it difficult to stay clear of rocks, etc. Most of the guides were in the water yelling and screaming commands at us as we tried to maneuver around the other rafters, rocks and other situations. Yelling and screaming commands to a group of somewhat inexperienced rafters proved to be a very ineffective form of communcation. The river is somewhat shallow and we would get stuck often on large rocks! At times that was funny or exciting but other times - when getting stuck launched us into the river -- was not as excitingI
I would not recommend this company or adventure to those that seek an organized, professional, well staffed trip. I will stick to the class 5 rapids that has a guide for each raft.

7  Thank MichiganMonarch

Reviewed 24 July 2012

We took the 2:30pm Saturday rafting trip on the 1st dam release weekend. What a fun time. The four of us laughed so much! We're planning on making this an annual trip! Be prepared to work your arms/shoulders and thighs. We took the Touch of class 2 trip and can't wait to try class 3! Buy the lunch or take one with you, you'll be hungry when they stop partyway!

2  Thank Patty S
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I have done this before but this time with kids(4-6yr olds). Very helpful throughout the trip... Made the trip very enjoyable! They spent at least 10 mins trying to pick wet suit for 5 yr old. They don't have small size suit rentals (if you plan to bring kids). They take pic of your ride but make only 2 copies. My group got both so i had to order separate... Cost me additional charge and 2 wk delay.

2  Thank VSfromNJ
Reviewed 17 July 2012

This is great place to visit family and friends; This was our 2nd visit in 2 years; professional staff, great river guides, Nice showers and changing facilities; + Free hot dogs and root beer at the end of the trip.

1  Thank SaikapianTraveller
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We signed up for the A Touch of Class 2 trip. This trip allows 6 year olds to go on the trip. The beginning of the trip was nice. However, when we stopped for lunch the sky was getting dark. The organizers brought buses to bring us back due to the storm but apparently someone made the call to continue. We got caught in a massive storm with high winds and lightening, which was very frightening. If you are considering this trip, make sure to watch the weather as I didn't feel the organizers did enough to avoid us getting caught up in the storm. Had they decided to cancel the trip at the break, I would have respected their decision much more as the beginning part of the trip was enjoyable...until the storm.

3  Thank Traveling_anuck