“The stories make this place”
Review of Albright Mansion Restaurant - CLOSED

Albright Mansion Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Waitstaff
Dining options: Waitstaff
Scranton, Pennsylvania
“The stories make this place”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

During dinner our waitress told us the history of the house and ghost stories galore. Without this extra, the meal would have been over-priced. We had two drinks (marketed as the first mixed drinks of America (could barely drive home)) because of their history story alone. The sea bass was delicious and the drinks were strong. I would recommend going here but be prepared to make it rain (at least for dinner).

• Visited July 2013

Schaghticoke, New York
“Home of Crave 66”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Beautiful restoration. The wine bar in the back is also lovely, and it is really worth seeing. Easy to see that this was a former millionaire's home.

Visited July 2013
Lake Telemark, NJ
“Dinner at Crave is the best!”
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I love this place. Whether you're coming for breakfast, lunch or dinner you can expect excellent food, wonderful and attentive waitstaff and great food. I am addicted to the crostini with Gorgonzola and truffle-infused honey. I am immediately taken back to Venice for a great culinary trip. The salmon and crabcakes are excellent. I am a vegetarian trying to regain my veganism but I am really impressed with the quality here. Mariel and her husband understand what people really "crave"!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank telemarkJane
Allentown, PA
“Not-so-High Tea”
Reviewed 9 October 2012

After years of wanting to come to Albright Mansion to enjoy an "Authentic English Tea", we finally were able to schedule the time to come in on Saturday. We scheduled the trip to celebrate my sister-in-law's birthday, for a ladies' day in Jim Thorpe with the high point being tea at the Albright Mansion. My in-laws lived in English for a few years, so I chose to take them here instead of other tea rooms I have visited in the Lehigh Valley.

We were certainly disappointed with the entire experience. After speaking directly with the chef earlier in the week in order to reserve a table at the best time of the day to enjoy High Tea, we were greeted with a hostess who looked like we weren't expected. I had discussed dessert with the chef, as I wasn't sure if we wanted to allow the celebrant to choose an individual dessert or arrange for a cake. After he listed a few very tasty dessert items such as creme brulee and cheesecakes, we decided to go with the "dessert from the menu" option. The tea sandwiches were tasty and adequate, but that ended the good point of the experience. There were many menu items that weren't available, such as no soup du jour and some of the tea selections. The birthday girl chose the High Tea, which was unceremoniously placed in front of her with no plate to eat from. Anyone would know that one doesn't eat off the 3-tiered serving dish for High Tea! It should be placed in the middle of the table, at the very least, with plate(s) to use to eat from.

Our tea was badly over-steeped. I have no idea how long the tea bags were in the pots; most of the tea bags were of the generic bulk variety, and didn't have the taste or fragrance I would expect from a tea house. When we asked for refills, our server charged us for the 2nd pots. We were charged extra for the Darjeeling, and were told that the Heirloom teas were extra (one of which was the Darjeeling) - a fact not seen on the menu.

The scones were certainly not homemade, and were served cold. The Devon clotted cream was non-existent - we were served some sort of whipped butter or margarine blend!

The two desserts we ordered were adequate and tasty, though the selection was minimal - there were only 4 choices, which were all cake. Gratefully, our server went a step above and beyond and spelled Happy Birthday in chocolate on the plate, so that did add a bit of a special/personalized touch.

We spent $90 for 4 pots of tea, a smattering of tea sandwiches, some scones, 2 petit fours and 2 slices of cake. I don't feel we got any quality for our expenditure.

All in all, we were very disappointed with our experience and certainly will advise people to avoid the Albright Mansion. What a shame, it could have easily been a wonderful experience. Even more shameful that the owners are British!

We wrote to the owners via their website and didn't receive any response at all. A further disappointment for customer service.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank Cowgirl_D
Beaver Meadows
“Dinner was great”
Reviewed 4 September 2012

The food was very good and service was fine.The atmosphere was perfect. My wife and I had the whole place to ourselves. The bar was a little small but the absinthe fountain made it an experience. Great job guys.

• Visited August 2012