“Poor tour guide”
Review of Old Jail Museum

Old Jail Museum
Ranked #3 of 25 things to do in Jim Thorpe
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Lots of the rooms were empty so you really did no tget the idea of what portions of the jail were like. Looking at the actual cells was cool. The tour guide was not well informed. For pretty much the same price, the tour of the Asa Mansion was infinitely better.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

My wife and I were on vacation in Jim Thorpe and went for a tour through the old Jail. The tour guide was very knowledgeable and provided plenty of information about the history of the jail. If you enjoy history and want to learn a little more about local history give the Old Jail a chance, it won't disappoint.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

Tour was given by the owners 11 year old grandson along with another teenager. Although I admire such a young man speaking to a large crowd, the owners have to realize people are paying hard earned money for the tour. Could not understand what this young man was saying since he was reading off note cards in a timid low voice. When asked to describe who the Molly Maquires where they could not answer. Another patrion had to explain. Save your money, and go tour the mansions. They are able to answer all the history of the town.

1  Thank dkupetz
Reviewed 19 May 2014

My husband and I wanted to tour the Old Jail in May 2014 but it was not open during the week until after Memorial Day.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I was really looking forward to an interesting and spooky tour of the Old Jail Museum. Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed. My tour guide was a high school girl and as she was reading off her note cards, it felt like I was sitting on a high school history presentation. It was just flat and not that interesting. Believe me, I give the girl credit, she was doing her best and I bet that is a tough job for a teenager. It just isn't something you want to PAY to listen to.

I also didn't appreciate that our tour guide kept rushing us through each room. We would literally walk through each room in single lines and constantly be told to "keep moving". I paid for this tour, so I would like to be able to mingle and take things in rather than being in a cattle shoot. My recommendation to the museum is to learn how to space out your tours better or lessen the sizes of the group so you don't have to rush everyone through.

Glad I did it. The hand print was neat to see, but was it worth the money? Would I recommend it to a friend? I don't know.

2  Thank jzyhsy08