“People you should meet in life”

and 1 more site!
Harry Packer Mansion Inn
Ranked #3 of 17 Jim Thorpe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We go through life meeting many people. If we are lucky we get to experience some very special people. Bob, Pat and Kristen are such people. See, Bob, Pat and Kristen have a special gift. They have the ability to transport you back in time. You will become a member of the Packer dynasty.. Some of which lived within the walls of the Harry Packer mansion years ago. You will be able to envision yourself as that person. You will be caught up in intrique along with much laughter.

The mansion, the room, the food, the service were all impeccable. What I found more incredible and fascinating were the owners that bought that era to life. Thank you, Bob, Pat and Kristen for opening up your home and sharing a brief moment in time with my wife and I. We will be forever grateful.

So, hurry up people. You still have an opportunity to experience this fascinating family.

Mark and Elisabeth McCartney.

Room Tip: We stayed in the carriage house. The room was very clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark M M
Harrypacker, Owner at Harry Packer Mansion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you so much for the kind words, we do love what we do and we are so happy when we care share that with lovely people!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just got home from a wonderful murder mystery weekend at the Harry Packer mansion. Imagine my surprise when I realized it was also Ruffman Manor. Turns out the owner and his family appeared in the inn on an episode of my daughters favorite PBS show, Fetch with Ruff Ruffman. A fun surprise and the murder mystery was super fun too.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We had a wonderful experience at the Harry Packer Mansion for my baby shower. It was an absolutely beautiful occasion. Taylor and family did an amazing job making sure everything was wonderful. We were looking for a more traditional home shower feel... which is what we got but so much more! The veranda was beautiful and most people flocked there. The quiche/salad provided was great (though my mother-in-law/family was permitted to bring other food and snacks which was appreciated and people enjoyed as well). It was also great to be able to provide wine and beer, at a reasonable price, on a hot summer day to everyone. Our guests were allowed to explore and relax in all rooms on the first level of the inn which was so neat. The room past the bar was used to decorate onsies and for nursing moms. The dining and living room areas were a great spot for older people to be. I was just thrilled with my shower here and would recommend the location to anyone for a special occasion.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

Everything was excellent. The staff was very nice and knowledgeable about the history of the whole town. The food was really good. I didnt want to get up in the morning the beds where so comfortable. Had a great time with the murder myself.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Harry Packer Mansion for our anniversary weekend and to attend the Murder Mystery. I've wanted to attend a murder mystery for quite some time and didn't know what to expect. It was a beautiful weekend and we arrived mid-day Friday to check out the town a bit before checking in. We were originally booked in the carriage house, but as luck would have it, someone cancelled, so we were able to stay in the mansion, in Harry Packer's Suite. I would definitely recommend staying in the mansion, especially if you love history and older homes. Harry Packer's Suite is absolutely beautiful and is nicely decorated. The mansion has a gorgeous patio where you can eat breakfast and have drinks. It really brings you back to what it must have been like in the town's heyday. The murder mystery was really fun, because it lasted all weekend, yet, you still had time during the day to do other things. It was structured so you would meet around 9:00pm Friday night where you were assigned a character and given instructions, then meet up again after breakfast on Sat. for part 2, you had all day Saturday to yourself and you met up again on Saturday night for dinner and to solve the mystery. At each phase, you got a short list of how your character should react, so you didn't know who the murderer was until Sat night. It was a really interesting way to do things. We happened to have a really great group of people participating in the mystery, so I'm sure that helped make it more enjoyable (we didn't know any of them in advance). Food was good, it was served buffet style, and there was plenty of it. The host "Inspector Bob" who owns the mansion with his wife, loved to talk about the town and the mansion. He's a really friendly fellow. He could get a bit raunchy at times during the mystery, but that was part of the fun. The town of Jim Thorpe was really nice, too. A lot of shops, and things to do. It's really not too far from where I live, but I'd never been there before and was pleasantly surprised with the whole weekend. The one drawback to the whole weekend, was that there is a train in town. When it goes through town in the middle of the night, you can hear the whistle clear as day while you're sleeping - it's extremely loud. I'm not a light sleeper, but was awakened at least 4 or 5 times during the night by the whistle. The second day, I shut all the windows in the room and turned the air conditioner on (it wasn't that warm, so would have normally just slept with the windows open), so only heard it once. I spoke to the other guests and they didn't hear the train in their rooms. It may have been the relationship of the room to the town (right in the front corner of the house, upstairs). The walk into town is short, but the mansion sits high up on a hill, so it's a bit of a workout getting up the hill. My husband says "Bravo!" on the scotch selection.

Room Tip: Harry Packer's Suite was gorgeous and impeccably decorated. See my comments in the review about...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2014

My wife surprised me with a birthday gift weekend at the Harry Packer Mansion. I wasn't sure what to expect since I had never participated in a murder mystery and I had a blast. Bob was hilarious and had me laughing almost the entire weekend. The other guests participating on our weekend were also very funny and were obviously having a good time with it as well, and I give credit to Bob for getting all of us in the spirit of thing so quickly. I had no idea who had committed the murder but had a lot of fun trying to figure it out and playing along.
The Inn is gorgeous! It was perfectly clean and well decorated. The bed and pillows were super comfortable, I slept very well. The bathroom wasn't the most amazing I've ever been in, but that's not why I was there anyway. I think the patio is the star of the mansion. We happened to have perfect weather while there and spent a considerable amount of time out there admiring the fantastic view of the town and having drinks with the other guests. I would go back just for that alone. Parking was a little tight (as one reviewer complained), but had absolutely no problem parking my suv next to another suv with a little help from Taylor and parking is free. The food was good too. My wife and I are both vegetarians and there was plenty for us to eat. we never walked away feeling hungry.
The town has a lot of fun activities and we didn't even get to do all of them. We never had to use our car because so many things were in walking distance (for us at least).
I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Get dinner on Friday night before the murder mystery begins because no dinner is served on that nigh...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My wife found the mansion sort of out of the blue, and booked it for a weekend. A two night minimum was required, so we decided to stay Saturday and Sunday night. The mystery event goes from Friday to Saturday, so we were slightly out of sync with most of the guests.

First, the property is amazing, and if you love history you won't be disappointed. The owners, (Bob and Patti), Kristen, and everyone we met while there were very friendly and inviting. We always felt welcomed and were well taken care of. Our first afternoon we wandered and did the self tour, and almost interrogated Kristen about the history of the property, we asked so many questions. She was extremely friendly and answered everything.

My wife and I sat on the porch several times, looking out at the mountains and down at the town. It was great for drinking a beer and enjoying the afternoon, or eating breakfast to get the day started, and was our preferred place to sit. How often do you get to enjoy coffee sitting on the porch of a Victorian mansion?

We stayed in a room in the Carriage House instead of the main mansion because it was already booked. Our room was very comfortable and spacious. There is free WIFI, which I was quite happy with. My truck took up quite a bit of space in the parking lot, but Patti came out and helped direct me up to a second parking lot I fit into much nicer.

On our last morning, we were the only people there and sat on the patio talking with Bob about the history of the mansion and town. It was great to hear more of the backstory of so many parts of the mansion and town, and it never felt like we were being rushed to leave. In fact, we had to end the conversation since we had to get on the road.

We can't wait to go back again soon!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jim Thorpe
Inn at Jim Thorpe
Inn at Jim Thorpe
#1 of 1 in Jim Thorpe
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
Mahoning Inn
Mahoning Inn
#3 of 3 in Lehighton
Pocono Resort Conference Center
The Parsonage Bed and Breakfast

Been to Harry Packer Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!