“Great Weekend!!!!”

and 1 more site!
Harry Packer Mansion Inn
Ranked #4 of 17 Jim Thorpe B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2007

We had so much fun! Bob is a great story teller and Pat is a wonderful cook. The mansion is beautiful and the town is charming. Highly recommended!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank mrhankins

Reviewed 17 July 2007

We stayed here as a getaway weekend. After reading some of the previous posts I was a bit leary, but decided to give it a try anyway, and we are both glad we did. The house was very charming. Big, obviously being its a mansion, very nicely decorated and spotless. We stayed in Gussies Room. It was just a basic room---queen sized bed, very comfy in fact, and a private bath. The bath was nothing to speak of, but we didn't stay there for that reason. It had a shower stall, sink and toilet and was perfect for what we needed. We did peek in some other rooms at checkout to see some had sitting areas, baths, etc. Breakfast was good----nothing extravagent like you get at some other B&B's but definitely filled us and got us out the door in the AM. It was served buffet style. The porch was awesome to sit out and look over the hill. The views are absolutely awesome. Bob & Taylor (Innkeeper & son) were there during our stay and I have to say were absolutely outgoing. We talked for Bob for quite a while multiple times. You can learn alot of the history of the area just by having a conversation. They don't force "social" time like some B&B"s do like with tea time at 3....but they are very outgoing if you are willing to sit and chat. While there we did some siteseeing, bike riding and caught a show at Penns Peak. There are restaurants/pubs within walking distance, although the hill is quite steep---keep that in mind when trying to walk home. Right next door is the Asa Packer Mansion---you can tour that, however we didn't.

Price wise, I think it was $165/night which I feel was appropriate for our accomodations. You can spend that much in a boring hotel...you definitely get atmosphere at this house.

If we make it back to Jim Thorpe again, we'll definitely stay here again.

Stayed: July 2007
Reviewed 26 March 2007

My husband and I just spent his 33rd birthday weekend participating in a murder mystery at the beautiful Harry Packer Mansion. I had read reviews that Pat was cool, which for us was just fine. We keep to ourselves a bit and enjoyed not having someone clamoring for conversation. And believe me, Bob more than makes up for his wife. If you can get past his crass words, Bob has a wealth of fascinating Packer family gossip. The murder mystery wasn't as mysterious as one might hope, but was more a participatory history lesson full of wine and laughs (keep in mind it is a BYO). We had a ball. Some must-see places in town - the old 'castle ruins' behind the Mauch Chunk Opera House, which you can freely climb and explore. Also, you must visit the cemetery at the top of the hill overlooking Jim Thorpe. This was our last stop out of town, and it was exhilirating to search out the tombstones of every person from our murder mystery. Overall, wonderful experience. Only thing we regret - we didn't stay in the mansion itself. Next time!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank countrygirlshs
Vernon, NJ
Reviewed 25 May 2006

We arrived on Friday Night to a beautiful appointed room in a Mansion decorated with Antiques. The facility was very clean, and the inn keepers seemed to be personable. After settling in we started the first phase of our murder mistery. We were given our characters and witnessed a staged murder.

Breakfast was buffet style and food was tasty, then went to phase 2 of the murder mistery. We had about 6 hours of down time, giving us enough time to explore the town. It was with in walking distance of the Mansion.

Buffet dinner was included and was very tasty, also leaving choices for the vegetarians. The evening culminated with the end of the murder mistery, the group of 8 couples-- almost all strangers to each other spent a great deal of time together, sharing good conversations and many laughs along the way.

In the morning was another great breakfast, and check out was at 11.

We had a great time, with a bunch of strangers, we are looking forward to doing it again with family and friends. If we had fun with strangers, we can only imagine what fun lies ahead for us with our friends.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Phila, PA
Reviewed 27 October 2004

after reading the reviews on this site, i was very hesitant to stay at the Harry Packer mansion but I did anyway because there were no rooms at the Inn (pun intended). Anyway, i stayed in the carriage house and it was a very nice room and had plenty of hot water. The owner was a nice guy, swore a little bit, but very pleasant. My wife and i talked to him for an hour on saturday. The mansion is very gothic and very cool and i wished i would have done the murder mystery, but instead i did the tour of the Jail (somewhat of a rip off) and the ghost tour of the town (huge ripoff). I'll stay here again, i don't know what the other people on here are talking about.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 19 October 2004

A group of us recently spent a weekend at the Harry Packer Murder Mystery Weekend. We were very disappointed in the mystery part. There was not much interaction with the other guests and it was almost like sitting in a room having a book read to us. If that were the case the chairs should have been more comfortable. No developing the characters among the guest as we have done in other mysteries. The owners left a lot to be desired. Pat never spoke to us after we had checked in, not even to ask if everything was OK. We thought she was having a fight with her husband. He was friendlier but had a mouth like a sailor. I had read a bad review of the place and thought I'd give them the benefit of the doubt. Emailed them three times asking for their comments and they never answered. Food was good for the most part although not really a lot of it. At their prices the spread should be sumptuous. The town was nice and we could have foregone the mystery and seen more of it.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Harrypacker, Owner at Harry Packer Mansion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2011

Just going thru old, old reviews......
I was too busy cooking to talk but glad the food was good.
No we weren't fighting (that weekend) but he's the star in the front of the house
and I am the behind the scenes person.
Yes Bob can go off sometimes when he thinks he has a "comfortable" group.
Some people don't like the term "boinking" but that is about as bad as it gets,
a very mild revision of a sailor I think. No F bombs or anything close here!

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 13 October 2004

Beautiful place, wonderful setting, expansive breakfast. Contrasting favorable accommodations was Pat, the hostess and one of the owners. She was unfriendly and inhospitable, and could smile with a growl. For example, when she indicated the coffee pot outside the room, I peered into the creamer bowl and saw that the powder had the consistency of hardened cement. When I mentioned this, Pat grumbled, "You'll just have to scrape some out." Later I discovered that a fresh container of creamer was stored inside the table under the coffee pot. She never mentioned this fact, nor did she ever replace the solidified creamer. This was the way she behaved for the entire weekend. She was not a fun person to be around, and worked hard to make the weekend experience unpleasant.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Trip advisior advises against negative answers to bad reviews
but I don't think that is sound advise.
Guests have mentioned that they read all the reviews especially the bad ones!
So here is my response....
I don't remember who you are, sometimes I can't remember 2 years age let alone 7!
However in all honesty I do know that sometimes when someone is a challenge (not saying that you were) and tries to make the weekend for me a living hell I do lose my happy innkeeper demeanor for a bit. This is my home and I am delighted you are here and I will do everything to be sure you have a great time but I am not your servant.
Luckily 99.9% of our guests are wonderful people bring only happy baggage with them and I am quickly restored to the happy innkeeper place of mind after a tough experience.
On another note....
I do know that we do not have powdered creamer so that part of the review is also a mystery.
I feel better!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Jim Thorpe
Inn at Jim Thorpe
Inn at Jim Thorpe
#1 of 1 in Jim Thorpe
Country Inn & Suites by Radisson, Lehighton (Jim Thorpe), PA
Hampton Inn Lehighton (Jim Thorpe Area)
Glasbern Inn - Fogelsville / Allentown
The Parsonage Bed and Breakfast
Hill Home Forge
Hill Home Forge
#3 of 17 in Jim Thorpe

Been to Harry Packer Mansion Inn? Share your experiences!