“Wonderful hosts but a couple of improvements needed”
Review of Osteria Martini - CLOSED

Osteria Martini
Price range: US$12 - US$23
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Firstly, I just want to say the gentlemen running this restaurant are fantastic hosts. You cannot fault their hospitality and warmth. We recently had dinner at Osteria during a 5 day break in Yamba. This restaurant is very busy, so if you are looking for speedy service this is probably not the place for you as service is fairly slow. We had booked a table on a Tuesday night and entered at the front where we were promptly ignored by the two young waitresses who were just standing around doing nothing. We walked over to the gentleman behind the counter who kindly directed us to our table. We ordered the seafood antipasto plate to share as a starter. Unfortunately the size wasn't sufficient for two people - 2 prawns, 3 mussels, 3 small fish croquettes and some very small pieces of overcooked calamari for $20.00. Not a good start. Upon starting my second drink (vodka and coke) I noticed some black bits floating around in it, I beckoned the gentleman over upon which he was extremely apologetic explaining that was his fault and it was coffee (??) and promptly replaced it. It was then that our restaurant neighbours arrived - we were a couple at a small table for two, stuck right next to a table laid up for 15 people. 12 people arrived and boy they were loud. After about 20 minutes I had a splitting headache, could not hear a word my husband was saying and just wanted to head back to our motel. Having worked in restaurants for many years, a basic ground rule is never to place a table for two next to a very large group, you will never have happy clients that way. A simple mistake but it can turn a whole evening and it did for us unfortunately. We both had pizza's for main, they were simply delicious, so much so that when we couldn't finish them (plus I was keen to escape the noise) so the chef kindly came out and boxed them up for us to take home - the hubby had them for breakfast the next day! If you want lovely hosts and incredible pizza then this is the place for you, I was looking for a little more, romance and something different and special. I can't fault Osteria for the most part, it just wasn't the right pick for us that night.

Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

I love the food here although I'd also love them to do more of the 'classics' like spaghetti meatballs or lasagna. My husband had the gnocchi, which was divine. I had a serve of the children's spaghetti bolognese as I had a bit of a craving for a classic pasta dish! The service was great and they serve Italian wine. Winning.

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Osteria Martini is our favourite Italian restaurant. We love in particular the Crudo pizza. When we stay here in Yamba we come here nearly every second night. We have tried many restaurants in Yamba and around the country and we always know we will get a fantastic meal here.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

The twin brothers than run this place are great fun guys. One of the reasons I go to Yamba for my holiday every year is to eat Rob and Riccardo's food. The crudo pizza is to die for and if you ask nicely Rob may even make you his classic Nutella pizza (not on the menu) which he serves with fresh strawberries or caramelised bananas YUM !!!

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Authentic Italian with genuine hospitality. Pork Belly amazing. Make sure you book, full every night.