“Gluten Free Pizza ... What?”
Review of Sassafras

Sassafras
Ranked #3 of 65 Restaurants in Yamba
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Australian, International
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Tamworth, Australia
“Gluten Free Pizza ... What?”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

It's a nice open plan place to eat pizza and pasta. The choices are varied and being able to provide gluten free bases and pasta is a big bonus. Our pizzas were a little on the overcooked side but far from destroyed. The wait staff were excellent ... two bright happy ladies from Canada who managed to be able to have a conversation with us, without making others wait. Wait time on the food was short, despite the restaurant also servicing a strong takeaway trade. Value for money but it suffers from a tiled floor and a very high level of ambient noise. Not the place for a quiet, intimate snugglefest for two, but just right for larger groups.

• Visited July 2014

“Nice Place”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The food was OK, staff were friendly. Not fine dining and not Pizza Hut. After all it is just a little town along the coast.

Visited June 2014
Tamborine Mountain, Australia
“Absolutely just average-did I have a bad night?”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Passed into Yamba from Coffs Harbour & spent the night there. I guess technically it's a restaurant but looked fairly basic & more like a café. It was fairly busy & I decided as we only had 1 night in our accommodation we should order take out & relax there. Staff warned us it would take about half an hour & it actually took longer. We ordered a large 'Vego' to share so I can only comment on this type, also ordered 'rat baits' [cooked dough balls with separate slabs of garlic butter]. I'd heard a lot about the pizza & as lame as it is, [I like to think] I'm this amateur pizza aficionado, hunting it out everywhere from Hong Kong to Venice to Chicago [Chicago has Gino's East pizzeria, the best ever!!!] so maybe I had high expectations. I asked for cheese all the way to the crust & to remove olives. I also put 3 dollars in the tip jar [was all I had in cash as hubby paid for pizza with credit card] & was looked at by the server with an expression like "really? that's all? okay." When we got back to the apartment I was pretty underwhelmed, good size but cheese was more over 2/3 of it, nowhere near the edge, & the flavour was to be honest more like pizza hut, pretty doughy/dry & no real flavour in the sauce etc. And olives weren't removed :( I've had better from Pizza Capers, Marie's Pizza on Gold Coast [a little greasy but still chunky homestyle & Yummy], & even Dr Oetker frozen pizzas [weird name for pizza but pretty good]. The rat baits dough balls were really good as the garlic butter was great. But overall I was like "really? I don't get it" & it wasn't cheap, [would have cost us over $30 just for pizza & dough balls if we hadn't had a $10 voucher sitting in our accommodation leading us in Sassafra's direction]. If you're really into your pizza, I wouldn't recommend it, at least based on what I saw, the service & the food. And if they go lazy on vego variety, please don't, as vegos like yummy pizza too & many other places know how to make a good one. Maybe I just had a bad night at this place as everyone raves about it.

• Visited June 2014
Sydney
“Okay, not great.”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

This is a basic pizza place, family friendly with average at best food. Expect country friendliness, lots of locals. BYO. Stick with the pizzas, rather than the pasta. And do not expect gourmet, only barely average.

• Visited June 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best pizza ever”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

Friendly service and outstanding pizza. We ordered Yamba prawns with chilli to take away. Highly recommend if you are looking got a gourmet pizza option