“Balanced.”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

I don't really rate reviews that just slag a place off, without it being helpful in any way, so this will be a honest review showing the good and bad.
Firstly, despite the terrible reviews regarding the decor and internal standards, I found the inside of the restaurant to be quaint and quirky. Almost shack like. Over looking the water, nice music playing and not "disgustingly dirty" as some reviews suggest.
We were the 5th table I am almost empty restaurant but with only one chef and one waitress, we did have to wait a while for our food to arrive. Drinks were offered as so as we sat down, but the next round of drinks ordered were forgotten about so we didn't bother ordering anymore! The waitress, bless her, looked rushed off her feet and was clearly trying to please everyone, people shouldn't be so rude when she was doing her best considering she was on her own. All be it, not very busy by some other restaurants standards during holiday season.
The ouster medley arrived maybe 30 minutes after ordering and was lovely. I'd recommend trying.
The combo platter was ok. Maybe overpriced for what is actually was, but I'd say the seafood was definitely fresh, and not at all gritty as over reviews suggest. Maybe we were lucky to go on a delivery day?
When paying, we were almost over charged, but it was quickly changed when we pointed out the error.
I thin this has the potential to be an excellent place. Perfect location, nice atmosphere, friendly staff. But it is greatly understaffed and that's it's biggest problem.
As a side note of like to say don't take this out on the waitresses. Ours was clearly trying to do her best and we witnessed a couple of customers being extremely rude to her which was the biggest negative of the night.
Great location, quirky shack like atmosphere, ok food, left thirsty!

1  Thank JOEYP21

Reviewed 15 January 2014

The place was very slow compared to other restaurants in town, a dead give away that we should have avoided the place but since it was recommended by our hotel clerk, we went ahead anyways. After the 2+ hr wait, the food arrived cold and border line rotten. I doubt my cat would have eaten the seafood. We asked to speak to the owner who resembled the dragon lady from Faulty Towers and she threatened to call the police if we didn't pay the entire tab, which was $140 dollars. Since it was now 10 pm, we ended up taking pizza from Pizza Del Mar (excellent) back to our hotel. Avoid this place or risk the worst dining experience of your life. You've been warned.

P.S. They provided a can of bug spray for the sand flies...

1  Thank teranko
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We arrived as the third table in an empty restaurant that was recommended by our hotel (must be a relative). We waited 2 hours for disgusting good that was plopped on our table as we were walking out. It was inedible. No one could eat anything in fear of sickness. Not only was the seafood dirty and gritty, so was the salad. When we left, we didn't think we should pay for all of the meal, but they threatened to call the police on us. My tired and hungry kid wanted to leave otherwise we might have spent the night in jail as a protest to the bad food.

Reviewed 10 January 2014

I rarely judge a book by it's cover & love to support small businesses. So upon overlooking the run down building, my experience on this restaurant soon changed unfortunately & it's by far not up to any standards.
I called in advance to made a booking to receive nothing but unprofessional phone manner & service. Upon arrival, our booking wasn't in the book & we were told to just look around & find any table available. Menu's, water, cutlery & serviettes, were a treasure hunt upon arrival for us to find ourselves.
We brushed off the unwelcoming invitation to the restaurant up until it took 30 minutes till we were served for a drink & by then decided our meals for the night. Entree oysters drenched in tomato sauce, & mains over cooked, dirty shellfish seafood & less then a feed for a sparrow salad. Upon discretion of discussion with the waitress I received a dirty look & almost 2 hours later an insincere apology with a compliment chocolate...
NO THANKS!

Reviewed 27 December 2013

We've been staying in yamba, beautiful place.. we went to the restaurant around 5pm it was very quiet only 2 other people in the restaurant.. not only was the older lady very rude and grumpy, she was dressed dreadfully for a restaurant with the prices that it charges. We ordered some drinks and the kids meals along with some entrees. We waited for around 30-45 minutes and still didn't receive a thing, not even water on the table. We got up and walked out! Absolutely terrible customer service.