“Tacky Renovations”

Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Johnstown
Reviewed 12 July 2011

A well situated hotel, undergoing a $2m renovation, thus allowance should be made for the time you are here, should there be contractors around.

From the amount of residual glue on the new wallpaper, the contractor needs to employ someone who knows how to do the job properly. Sadly, that can't happen for this hotel, and the evidence will be there for years for all to see.

The elevators are dated, slow, and the constant bell ringing out at every floor, is most annoying. Often they ignore the direction you choose to go!

The buisness center is badly positioned and is in effect, a fish bowl design, as everyone looks in, and is situated in front of the elevator, front desk, and passing human traffic. In one 20 minute period, I was interupted three times by people passing by, asking me where this or that was. There is no privacy, especially if you are on the phone.

The staff are very friendly, and accommadating. The rooms are decently sized and comfortable, but the cleaning staff needs to be monitored periodically, as the room we were in was not up to the usual standards of Holiday Inn. I had to ask the maid to use the vacuum cleaner into the corners of the rooms, and polish the surface of the wood on the headboards, grease from previous occupants heads was clearly visible.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BHEBfoodie
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2011

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts on our property. I am so glad to hear that our staff was friendly and accommodating! We pride ourselves on great customer service, everyday. I am sorry to hear though that you were not impressed with our new property. We do have some finishing touches to make at the hotel both in the public spaces and a few of the guest rooms. I hope these unfinished areas were not too much of a bother to you! It is a very difficult process to renovate a hotel while doing our best to ensure our guests are happy and comfortable, but i can assure you, we are doing our very best. We are still in the renovation stages so i hope you will return again soon to experience the finished product.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown

Reviewed 11 July 2011

Before heading to Johnstown and making hotel reservations, I checked to see what was available there. I had read about this hotel thru Tripadvisor and overall I saw that the reviews were generally good. This was a good, clean hotel centrally located in the downtown district. The staff was very friendly and the restaurant on site was good.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to post your feelings on your stay with us here at the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown. It is nice to know that our guests are reading and responding on Trip Advisor! Customer reviews are so very important in our industry and I am happy to hear that our previous guests have helped assure you that the Holiday Inn in Johnstown is a top notch hotel who is extremely driven by our guests needs. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I hope you will return again soon! Have a great summer!

Reviewed 8 July 2011

I wanted to thank the Holiday Inn staff for making mine and my husband's wedding day extra special. The staff went out of their way to make sure our day went smooth and that everything we asked for was taken care of. From the limo driver to the check out person in the morning, everyone was fabulous. Carl the limo driver was always early to pick up everyone in the wedding party and he never mind waiting if he had to, he was prompt, courteous and kind. The suite the Holiday Inn provided for us was huge, it provided more than enough space for me and my wedding party to get ready. The room was decorated beautifully with a modern flare. The Holiday Inn Staff prepared the dining room per our request to the tee. From the centerpieces on the table to the candy bar and from the goodie baskets in the restrooms to luminars in the hall way. The team provided excellent service with a smile on their faces, they were all so eager to please and be attentive to our needs. Several of our attendants commented on how beautiful the tables looked, how delicious the food tasted and how courteous the staff was. Missy (Banquet Manager) was always around if we need something, she checked on us constantly to make sure everything was alright. She was absolutely amazing, she was a kind and caring person. We can’t thank the Holiday Inn team enough for all they have done to make our wedding day special.

We also have to give a “special thank you”, to Amy Toth (Catering Sales & Wedding Specialist), my gosh there are no words to describe how kind, caring and helpful she was in providing such one on one assistance in helping plan our wedding celebration. Thank you so much for being there to answer any questions we may have had and for making sure all of our special requests and needs were met. We thank Amy and the complete Holiday Inn staff for being such wonderful and amazing people not only to us, but to all the attendants that attended our wedding celebration.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

Congratulations on your wedding! Thank you for allowing the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown to be the host location for such a special event! I am thrilled to hear that it couldn't have been more perfect for you. I will be sure to share your kind words with the Management and Staff. I hope the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown will be your choice location for upcoming events for you and your new family! Take care & congratulations again!

Reviewed 3 July 2011

The hotel was comfortable and the staff - for the most part - friendly and helpful. The restaurant (according to signage) is not operated by the hotel. The food is horrendously bad (as in, I got sick). Undercooked, overcooked, greasy, salty and/or "We're out of ________." Overpriced, to boot. You're better off venturing to a sandwich or pizza shop. There simply isn't much in downtown Johnstown, and the Holiday Inn restaurant is to be avoided.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. I am terribly sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your visit to Harrigan's Cafe & Wine Deck, located in the Holiday Inn Downtown. We do strive to be the best restaurant in the Johnstown area, offering a long list of menu options and some of the best wine choices in the county. I hate to hear when a guest is not satisfied with his or her visit to Harrigan's or the Hotel and I would love it if you would consider revisiting the restaurant and giving us another chance to show you what terrific food and service we do have here at the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown. I hope you will give us a chance to redeem ourselves. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to come by again sometime soon. 814-361-2623.

Reviewed 16 June 2011

This is really the only hotel in downtown Johnstown (that I saw, at least), but they don't take advantage of that to slack off on service. Everyone was very helpful and pleasant. The rooms have been remodeled and now all have small refirgerators and microwaves - a real plus in my book. The lobby renovations are in progress so you have to go around some construction, but the workers are very mindful of guests and it is not a problem. My only concern was that the hotel restaurant seemed somewhat high priced for the area. But the food was excellent.

2  Thank patsyjean117
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2011

Thanks so much Patsy, for posting your thoughts on your stay with us at the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown! We have been working so hard to bring the hotel up to our customer expectations. The renovations have been a trying time for the hotel and for the customers alike, but we truly appreciate you and all of our visitors for bearing with us and being so positive through the whole process. I am glad to say that the final touches are being added to the lobby and within the next few days, it too will be complete! I hope that you will revisit us again soon to experience the NEW Holiday Inn Downtown!

Reviewed 13 June 2011

We had a basketball tournament and this is where we always stay as a group. The pool area is great to hang out in and the hotel location is close to everything.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts on your stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown Johnstown! We love having sports teams and groups of all kinds at the Holiday Inn Downtown! I am happy to hear that the amenities we have here, like the swimming pool, were a hit with your group. I hope your team will return soon! Have a great summer!

Reviewed 6 June 2011

I have stayed here twice since May 2011 and have been very pleased with the hotel so far. The hotel is undergoing renovation, but this did not cause a problem with my stay whatsoever. The staff has been very helpful, and the restaurant is nice. The rooms are very clean, and have free high-speed internet. The parking is free. The location is convenient and was approximately 2 miles from Conemaugh Medical Center where I have been working. My husband and 3 year accompanied me on both of my stays in May and again in June. The hotel offered a special which included tickets to local museums and attractions. My daughter loved the Discovery Center. Kids eat free in the restaurant, which is a very nice feature. Will be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
cmalloy250, Manager at Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2011

Dear Eaton Family, thank you so much for your continued business at the Holiday Inn Downtown! I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying the amenities that we offer to our customers like free parking and free wireless high-speed internet. If your family needs anything during your upcoming stays with us, please don’t hesitate to ask. Have a great summer! We will see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Johnstown
Quality Inn and Suites
Ramada Ligonier
Ramada Ligonier
#1 of 1 in Ligonier
Hampton Inn & Suites Blairsville at Chestnut Ridge

Been to Holiday Inn Johnstown Downtown? Share your experiences!