“A home away from home”

Bancroft Manor Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kennett Square
Bancroft Manor Bed and Breakfast
Takoma Park, Maryland
“A home away from home”
Reviewed 12 January 2013

We visit my numerous family in Kennett Square several times a year and over the years have tried several local hostelries. Now, however, we always stay at Bancroft Manor because we are always happy there. Mike Snyder has made Bancroft Manor our home away from home. We love the convenient location to the whole Brandywine valley; we love the woodwork and antique furniture in the fine old house; we love meeting interesting people around the family-style breakfast table; and, most of all, we love Mike's friendliness, consideration, and desire to please. On this most recent visit over the holidays, we even found a bag of homemade cookies on our bedroom doorknob -- such a kind gesture. Bancroft Manor is highly recommended by this couple!

Room Tip: Our favorite room in the summer is the Amish Room, because it comes with its own screened "slee...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathie M

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 27 December 2012 via mobile

If you read my other reviews you will see that rarely do I give totally bad reviews. I'm much more likely to review a place we love rather than review a location based on what may just be a one off bad day. Bancroft however needs and deserves an accurate review. When you read the other reviews of a place like this it really makes you wonder about the validity of the forum overall be because there's no way that individuals actually had good experiences here within the last two months.

I say that because it is not just one element missing from this bed and breakfast; it was so many different basics. I will say that Mike seems to be a genuinely nice guy as he offered to pick up the flowers from the local florist rather than me pay a delivery charge when I requested to have them places in the room in advance. Other than that though the up side ends and the awkward and low quality experience begins. Well actually the only other positive is the location. If you are going to the gardens then this is really close. It's a shame that its failings completely overshadow that though.

The living room was pretty with a fire going and a nice Christmas tree but other than that underwhelmingly decorated. We had to use a temperamental space heater to warm up the room and the restroom may as well have been outside as cold as it was. Based on the cleanliness, temperature and 20 min it took to get hot water from the faucet neither of us was comfortable to shower the next day so I can't speak for how that worked. We paid 200 dollars to get the room with the attached bathroom. We found most items comical however and a really great breakfast experience could have turned around the lodgings themselves. Sadly that was the most disappointing aspect of all. We were served a tiny piece of quiche, bowl of cantaloupe and a mini muffin that my girlfriend asked if I wanted her to bring along for a hockey puck later. Thankfully we were never offered seconds and I would have actually eaten another piece of the freezer quiche because I was starving. Worst though was that Mike sat at the table with us, not eating just forcing socialization at the same table. We had gone into the kitchen the night prior to find glasses only to find it dirty so it was no surprise when we pointed out that the coffee creamer was spoiled. We were lastly given a "gift" by the one employee of a bag of cookies that were so old they were not only saw dust like but tasted moldy. I want to give her credit though as she actually asked us to please fill out feedback before leaving. We diplomatically put the truth about how charming the town is and left.

This place is not cheap and by far the scariest bed and breakfast experience I have ever had. I understand if times have been bad but when you know you have guests coming (and we were the only guests at the time right before the holidays) invest 20 of the 200 dollars to go buy fresh food and some personal touches. If you can't cook then invest that into one of the many local restaurants and buy nice FRESH food for your guests. We are garden members and will never return to this one unfortunately. I recommend you try the other town B and B or one of the many outside of kennett square. I wish I could have taken a photo of the meal but couldn't actually have a moment away from the owner to do so. I really think something changes in his life and its time for him to face the fact that hospitality is not his calling in life.

• Stayed December 2012
4 Thank Jakob H
Michael S, Owner at Bancroft Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
To say that I am very disappointed with this review is an understatement. This is my first negative review in 10 years. I am very conscientious about providing an all-around good experience for my guests. I always ask and expect my guests to contact me directly during their stay so I can immediately address and correct any problem or issue needing my attention. I take my position as an innkeeper and business owner very seriously. My goal and esteem is to always provide my guests with the best experience at my bed and breakfast.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 16 October 2012

We LOVED the Bancroft house, appointments, innkeeper, and location. We were the only guests that day. It was impeccably clean, comfortable and convenient. Mike made every effort to help us out. The breakfast was the only bit of a letdown...brown'n'serve sausage, eggs ok but not hot. Watermelon was great. Just expected more with the price as well as the rating of the B&B. However, if you are staying can go to the local cafes for a homecooked breakfast there.

Room Tip: The Longwoods is great. Had attached bath.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank StLTourGirl
Dana Point, California
Reviewed 10 August 2012

My wife and I recently visited the Kennett Square/Brandywine area and we stayed at the Bancroft Manor B & B for five nights. The home was beautiful, the stay was restful and the breakfasts were delicious!!!! Mike, the inn keeper is very welcoming and made our stay very enjoyable. He is very helpful with information/recommendations on the local restaurants, museums, and all sorts of goings-on that made our time in the Brandywine area loads of fun and quite interesting. We highly recommend Brancroft Manor to anyone planning a visit to the area!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms were great!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce B
NJ
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I stayed here with my girlfriend for one night while visiting Longwood Gardens. The location is wonderful. It's not far from gardens, and it's a few blocks away from the main downtown area where all of the shops and restaurants are located.

We booked last minute, and Michael was kind enough to offer us an upgrade to a bigger room at the same price, since the room was free. We thought this was very nice of him, and decided to take the bigger room. We had initially booked the Amish room, but ended up in the Brantwyn Room. It had a larger bed, and an adjoining bathroom, which was nice.

The building has a beautiful atmosphere, and the decor is everything you'd expect from that classic, quaint, B&B feel. The room was spacious and clean, and Michael made sure that we felt that our needs were being met. He let us know that he was available at any time if there was an issue.

Breakfast included fruit, and fresh blueberry waffles. It was nice eating in the lovely dining room, and Michael joined us for a bit to talk about the area.

We really enjoyed our stay here, and have recommended it to others.

Room Tip: It may be worth it to upgrade to a room with an attached bathroom, especially for couples or those w...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TimesArrow
Maryland
Reviewed 6 January 2012

My husband and I and two friends stayed at Bancroft Manor B&B in early January 2012. The house itself is attractive; rooms are very nicely decorated, each one with its own character; the beds were comfortable; breakfast was delicious; and Mike, the owner/innkeeper, was very accommodating to our requests and last-minute changes in plans. We enjoyed chatting with Mike about the history of the house and found him to be a good host. The house feels open and comfortable, and Mike was happy to show it off. We've stayed in several B&Bs around the northeastern US, and this is one of the best. All in all, a very enjoyable experience and we would definitely recommend Bancroft Manor.

Room Tip: All rooms, even the small ones, are well-appointed with attention to lighting, and space to put your...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Spondy
Galloway, New Jersey
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Highly recommend this bed and breakfast. I have stayed at many, and this one is outstanding. Rooms are beautifully appointed, and the Christmas decorations were tasteful and warm. Mike is a gracious host. We'll be back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Brandywine River Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chadds Ford
Hampton Inn & Suites Chadds Ford
Best Western Plus Concordville Hotel

Been to Bancroft Manor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!