“A great place to stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bancroft Manor Bed and Breakfast

Bancroft Manor Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kennett Square
Bancroft Manor Bed and Breakfast
Northeast PA
“A great place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

This is a charming Edwardian home, beautifully maintained, extremely clean, and in an excellent location. The street it sits on is quiet, but within walking distance to Kennett Square, and only a short drive to Longwood Gardens and Winterthur. The innkeeper, Mike, is a very attentive host, and works hard to make sure that his guests are comfortable. The breakfasts are very good, and not overwhelmingly large. The rooms are very comfortable and attractively furnished. We brought friends with us for our last stay, and they loved it.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

My elderly mother and I were visiting Longwood Gardens and chose the Bancroft because of its location. It is indeed only a couple of miles from the garden, and an easy drive. After reading these reviews (with one exception), I contacted the innkeeper to negotiate our visit. Our stay was exactly as I expected. We had negotiated the price in advance, and there were no extra fees or surprises when we arrived.

We stayed in the Brantwyn room, which has a king sized bed and an attached bathroom. My mother doesn't like to share bedspace, so we asked for a single bed in the room. This was not a simple rickety roll away, but an actual bed with a real mattress and she said it was very comfortable. It was a tad high for her, but not as high as the bed, so she didn't have to wake me up for help to use the facilities in the night. The down side to having the extra bed was that we didn't have a comfortable chair in the room, but with pillows (of which there were many) she was able to prop herself up and read comfortably. The bathroom was clean, the shower comfortable, and there was plenty of hot water. We were there 2 nights. We arrived in mid-afternoon on a Monday; Michael was still t work but his assistant met us, showed us our room, explained the door and locks, the air conditioning, the wi-fi, and the television. Michael showed up about an hour later from his job and gave us excellent advise on where to eat dinner. He is very knowledgeable about the area.

By B&B standards, the inn was delightfully under-decorated. We didn't fall over some bric-a-brac at every turn, and could admire the clean lines of the house and the furniture without distraction. Clearly the house had been built by craftsmen: even the curved moldings and the built-in seat at the staircase landing were hand made, and cut to fit exactly into the space. Everything was period (circa 1910), except for some of the pretty wall paper, which was probably from the 1930s. It is in a quiet neighborhood, about 2-3 blocks from the center of Kennett Square; our room was in the back, and I heard no noise at all.

I didn't go into the kitchen, but could see it through the door and it looked modern and clean. The food was tasty, and the recipes came from an innkeepers' cookbook that was for sale. One morning we had little quiches, another a small frittata with mushrooms. On both days there was fruit, juice, coffee, and some fresh quick breads. Breakfast on both mornings was sufficient. The portions were reasonably sized, although perhaps appeared small by American standards, but we enjoyed the food and the hot coffee, and the company of the other guest, who is a regular there. The assistant innkeeper gave us some little Italian cookies that were very tasty and crisp, which we enjoyed on our drive back to Pittsburgh.

All in all, we had an enjoyable visit, at a well-kept B&B run by a reasonable and knowledgeable host. We would definitely go back again given the opportunity.

Room Tip: The room with the attached bathroom suited us well, but for families with children it would be too s...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank AuntRuth001
Feasterville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

B&B was clean, well laid out. We used it during the week for one night after a visit to Talula's Table in Kennett Square. The property was nice, the facilities nice, but the inn keeper, Mike, made this place very good. He was very knowledgeable about the area, about the history, activities. Mike also went out of his way to prepare brownies and hot chocolate for a two-hour visit from our friends children while they waited for us during dinner.

Highly recommend this inn for this area (in Kennett Squre, near Longwood Gardens).

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Takoma Park, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

We visit my numerous family in Kennett Square several times a year and over the years have tried several local hostelries. Now, however, we always stay at Bancroft Manor because we are always happy there. Mike Snyder has made Bancroft Manor our home away from home. We love the convenient location to the whole Brandywine valley; we love the woodwork and antique furniture in the fine old house; we love meeting interesting people around the family-style breakfast table; and, most of all, we love Mike's friendliness, consideration, and desire to please. On this most recent visit over the holidays, we even found a bag of homemade cookies on our bedroom doorknob -- such a kind gesture. Bancroft Manor is highly recommended by this couple!

Room Tip: Our favorite room in the summer is the Amish Room, because it comes with its own screened "slee...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kathie M
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2012 via mobile

If you read my other reviews you will see that rarely do I give totally bad reviews. I'm much more likely to review a place we love rather than review a location based on what may just be a one off bad day. Bancroft however needs and deserves an accurate review. When you read the other reviews of a place like this it really makes you wonder about the validity of the forum overall be because there's no way that individuals actually had good experiences here within the last two months.

I say that because it is not just one element missing from this bed and breakfast; it was so many different basics. I will say that Mike seems to be a genuinely nice guy as he offered to pick up the flowers from the local florist rather than me pay a delivery charge when I requested to have them places in the room in advance. Other than that though the up side ends and the awkward and low quality experience begins. Well actually the only other positive is the location. If you are going to the gardens then this is really close. It's a shame that its failings completely overshadow that though.

The living room was pretty with a fire going and a nice Christmas tree but other than that underwhelmingly decorated. We had to use a temperamental space heater to warm up the room and the restroom may as well have been outside as cold as it was. Based on the cleanliness, temperature and 20 min it took to get hot water from the faucet neither of us was comfortable to shower the next day so I can't speak for how that worked. We paid 200 dollars to get the room with the attached bathroom. We found most items comical however and a really great breakfast experience could have turned around the lodgings themselves. Sadly that was the most disappointing aspect of all. We were served a tiny piece of quiche, bowl of cantaloupe and a mini muffin that my girlfriend asked if I wanted her to bring along for a hockey puck later. Thankfully we were never offered seconds and I would have actually eaten another piece of the freezer quiche because I was starving. Worst though was that Mike sat at the table with us, not eating just forcing socialization at the same table. We had gone into the kitchen the night prior to find glasses only to find it dirty so it was no surprise when we pointed out that the coffee creamer was spoiled. We were lastly given a "gift" by the one employee of a bag of cookies that were so old they were not only saw dust like but tasted moldy. I want to give her credit though as she actually asked us to please fill out feedback before leaving. We diplomatically put the truth about how charming the town is and left.

This place is not cheap and by far the scariest bed and breakfast experience I have ever had. I understand if times have been bad but when you know you have guests coming (and we were the only guests at the time right before the holidays) invest 20 of the 200 dollars to go buy fresh food and some personal touches. If you can't cook then invest that into one of the many local restaurants and buy nice FRESH food for your guests. We are garden members and will never return to this one unfortunately. I recommend you try the other town B and B or one of the many outside of kennett square. I wish I could have taken a photo of the meal but couldn't actually have a moment away from the owner to do so. I really think something changes in his life and its time for him to face the fact that hospitality is not his calling in life.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Jakob H
Michael S, Owner at Bancroft Manor Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 18 January 2013
To say that I am very disappointed with this review is an understatement. This is my first negative review in 10 years. I am very conscientious about providing an all-around good experience for my guests. I always ask and expect my guests to contact me directly during their stay so I can immediately address and correct any problem or issue needing my attention. I take my position as an innkeeper and business owner very seriously. My goal and esteem is to always provide my guests with the best experience at my bed and breakfast.
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

We LOVED the Bancroft house, appointments, innkeeper, and location. We were the only guests that day. It was impeccably clean, comfortable and convenient. Mike made every effort to help us out. The breakfast was the only bit of a letdown...brown'n'serve sausage, eggs ok but not hot. Watermelon was great. Just expected more with the price as well as the rating of the B&B. However, if you are staying can go to the local cafes for a homecooked breakfast there.

Room Tip: The Longwoods is great. Had attached bath.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank StLTourGirl
Dana Point, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

My wife and I recently visited the Kennett Square/Brandywine area and we stayed at the Bancroft Manor B & B for five nights. The home was beautiful, the stay was restful and the breakfasts were delicious!!!! Mike, the inn keeper is very welcoming and made our stay very enjoyable. He is very helpful with information/recommendations on the local restaurants, museums, and all sorts of goings-on that made our time in the Brandywine area loads of fun and quite interesting. We highly recommend Brancroft Manor to anyone planning a visit to the area!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms were great!!
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Brandywine River Hotel
#1 of 1 in Chadds Ford
Homewood Suites by Hilton Wilmington - Brandywine Valley
BEST WESTERN Plus Concordville Hotel

Been to Bancroft Manor Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!