“Friendly Service with good food”

Portabello's of Kennett Square
Price range: US$7 - US$29
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of historic Kennett Square, Portabello's has something for everyone. Chef Owner, Brett Hulbert's menus offer tempting selections for lunch and dinner! Amazing burgers, artisan soups and sandwiches along with signature dishes which include, Firecracker Shrimp, Mushroom Crepes, Crispy Duck, Short Rib Stroganoff & Shellfish Fra diavolo! Come visit us...we look forward to cooking for you!
LINY
“Friendly Service with good food”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Service was outstanding and the food was even better the kids had chicken parm and I had trout amandine both dishes were more than could be eaten in one sitting. P[rices reasonable and gluten free options available. Gluten free brownie was incredible

Wimberley, Texas
“All around great dining experience for foodies”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

We knew as soon as we walked through the door on a cold winter night after visiting the Christmas display at Longwood Gardens that this was gonna be a good eating night! The quaint restaurant has a very comfortable feel with an open kitchen that allows all the great aromas to permeate the atmosphere and stimulate the palate. We were warmly greeted and quickly seated on a Wednesday night. It's a BYO and our wine was expertly corked and specials with recommendations made by our top rate server. We opted to share the Portabello Fries with a horseradish dipping sauce that were outstanding. Then on to the State Street Mushroom soup with toasted shallots and madera wine. For the main course our friends' opted for the flounder special with a lemon sauce. I had the award winning crab cakes (large chunks of real crab meat with bread crumbs, perfectly seasoned) and hubby had the veal with mushroom dish (veal was so tender and tasty). There was not even one crumb left on any of our plates! Every dish was outstanding. We topped it off with a great cup of coffee, locally made rum raisin ice-cream and a few slices of the amazing Guiness cheesecake with chocolate crumb crust. The owner/chef stopped by to ask about the meal which was a nice touch.

The most disappointing thing about this restaurant? That it's not closer to our house! We may start going to Longwood Gardens more often just so we can stop here for a meal.

Ashland, Virginia
“Excellent evening at Portabello's”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Portabello's was recommended by our B&B host and they were dead on. Everything was great - cozy, warm atmosphere which was particularly welcome on the cold winter night, friendly, professional waitstaff and excellent food. We all agreed that there were too many delicous sounding things too choose from. My mushroom crepe appetizer was great - wonderful showcase for the local product. Everyone at the table agreed that mine was the best, but my husband's salad with roasted beets and goat cheese was also very good, as were my sister-in-law's mussells. My husband declared the crispy skinned duck to be the best duck he has ever eaten (and he has eaten duck at many fine places!) The rest of us got the crab cakes, which were just what I wanted - lots of jumbo lump crab and not much else. Portabello's is BYOB, which was a different experience for us (not encouraged where we are from). They did not charge a corkage fee and they kept the second bottle of champagne that we brought on ice behind the bar for us and brought it back when we were ready for it. A great experience all around! Bravo to their whole staff.

1 Thank Anne30247
Havre de Grace, Maryland
“Great food, gluten free bread and BYOB! One of my favorite places!”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurants, unfortunately it's a drive for me so I don't get there often. Going for my third visit tomorrow, both times I've been impressed by the food and the service and best of all, it's BYOB!!!
Need I say more; it's hard to find a BYOB restaurant that serves good food, especially in the part of Maryland where I live, so I have to drive over the boarder to PA. This is one of the few restaurns that I've been to in my life that actually serves gluten free bread, by request, that's fresh made (gluten free bakery) down the street in Kennet, I really appreciate that a lot. I'll be leaving another review for my meal this weekend, I last ate there in August and forgot to write my review, making up for it now.

• Visited April 2013
Mohnton, Pennsylvania
“Gem of a restaurant”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

Dinner here the other evening was incredible! The menu was inventive and the meals delicious. We particularly enjoyed the hummus with mushrooms, gorgonzola and sundried tomatoes, and the Eskimo Candy. As someone who is not crazy about asparagus, I can say easily that I really, really enjoyed the asparagus at Portabello's. It was crispy and tasty. There were so many intriguing entree options it was difficult to choose. But we settled on the fish specialties for the evening: grilled Pacu with warm mango salsa, and flounder with black beans. Marvelous! The service was excellent: helpful, friendly, attentive. We enjoyed our conversations with all the staff (the table-side visit by chef/owner Brett and wife Sandra was an added bonus) and highly recommend this restaurant for visitors (and locals) in the Kennett Square area. We will definitely go back! PS: No corking fee for this BYOB gem of a restaurant.

• Visited November 2013