“One of the better experiences in recent memory”

Portabello's of Kennett Square
Price range: US$7 - US$29
Cuisines: American, Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of historic Kennett Square, Portabello's has something for everyone. Chef Owner, Brett Hulbert's menus offer tempting selections for lunch and dinner! Amazing burgers, artisan soups and sandwiches along with signature dishes which include, Firecracker Shrimp, Mushroom Crepes, Crispy Duck, Short Rib Stroganoff & Shellfish Fra diavolo! Come visit us...we look forward to cooking for you!
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We took my mother-in-law to Portabello's after visiting the nearby Longwood Gardens. To tell you the truth, I didn't expect to find such a great restaurant in such a small town. We've lived in several major cities, and this was one of the better experiences at a restaurant in recent memory.

What's great? The atmosphere, the food, the service. Also, this restaurant is BYOB, i.e. "bring your own bottle" of wine. It's located conveniently across the street from a wine seller who will let you taste before you buy. Of course, you'd be a fool not to take advantage of this.

The menu was diverse enough to satisfy a range of tastes, yet specialized enough to call it Italian food. The steak was perfectly prepared. The ravioli was rich and satisfying. The best item, in my view, was the Veal Madeira. The dish allowed us a nice taste of the local specialty, mushrooms. The menu and the serving sizes were surprisingly large for a restaurant of this caliber.

We sat at a chef's table in the back, which I recommend. This allowed us to see that plenty of other dishes looked great. We will certainly return to try the Chicken Parmesan.

Finally, the owner of the restaurant was quite friendly and visited our table to chat. They gracefully encouraged us to try some of the other restaurants in the area and admitted that these, too, deserved their reputations. Still, if I find myself in this town again, I'll return to Portabello's.

1  Thank Regional_Travel
There are newer reviews for Portabello's of Kennett Square

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Headed there for lunch. Arrived at 2:10 and informed that lunch service ends at 2. We were disappointed. The server wouldn't even entertain squeezing in 2 people.

1  Thank Jill Y
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My husband and I, along with another couple, had a terrific experience at Portabello's this past weekend. It was the second time we had been there, and we were reminded of how great it was. As soon as Chef Brett (who co-owns it with his charming wife) visited our table, prior to us ordering, we knew we would not be disappointed. The menu, service and food get a high rating! We look forward to returning.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Went with a party of 6 for my Mom's birthday. The service was top notch. Accommodating, friendly and knowledgable but not overbearing. The food was delicious. We had apps, salad and entrees and all of us loved everything. The mushroom crepe appetizer was everyone's favorite though. BYOB is very nice. Portions were plentiful and prices fair. Food was fresh and creative. Will definitely be back!

As other diners have said, the noise level is high. They would be wise to add acoustic tiles, area rugs, drapes to help with that. It was hard to hear at the opposite end of the table for six which was frustrating.

1  Thank Zoeboaat
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Prices are in line with the quality, fresh food, and full portions!! Mushroom crapes, iceberg lettuce hearts, and desert. I could have eaten just the crispy bread with fresh homemade spreads. Service was attentive, pleasant, and not too overbearing.

1  Thank Sassy12376