“Fantastic. Truly a marvel. Perfect for ALL ages.”
Review of Longwood Gardens

and up
Brandywine Valley Tour with Private Driver
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: In 1906, industrialist Pierre du Pont (1870-1954) purchased a small farm near Kennett Square, PA, to save a collection of historic trees from being sold for lumber. Today, Longwood Gardens is one of the world’s great horticultural displays, encompassing 1,077 acres of dazzling gardens, woodlands, meadows, fountains, 10,010-pipe Aeolian organ and 4.5-acre conservatory. Longwood continues the mission set forth by Mr. du Pont to inspire people through excellence in garden design, horticulture, education and the performing arts, through programming that includes exhibitions, musical performances by leading artists, renowned horticulture education programs, horticulture research, environmental stewardship and community engagement.
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I have read many great reviews of Longwood and decided this was the year we would make a special stop on our way to connecticut. I had my 91yr old grandmother, 10yr old twins, & 3 year old toddler with me. It's hard to say which one of us enjoyed it the most. First, longwood is super handicap accessible. They even rent motorized scooters. My grandmother is very mobile and active but that motorized scooter saved the day! She would have never been able to spend the hours that she did buzzing around the 100's of acres. The kids loved the tree houses, children's garden and children's portion of the Conservatory. The admission price is an absolute bonus! Compared to other similar attractions it is an unbelievable bargain. We stayed for about 5 hours and probably could have stayed another hour or two.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

A visit to Longwood Gardens is a special event regardless of the time of year. The gardens vary during the seasons but always offer a wonderful interlude from the frantic pace of life. Watch out for special events including concerts during the warmer weather
months.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I've been visiting Longwood since childhood and never really understood the history of the garden. This time we concentrated on the house and its museum and were surprised to learn that everything was essentially conceived of and built by Pierre himself. For some reason, I had always thought that the fountains and conservatories were added later. Amazingly, this extravaganza was the personal pleasure garden of Pierre and his wife and is largely unchanged from when they resided here. That's a backyard.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

After over 12-13 years, I revisited the gardens with a dear friend who had never been here before. The gardens are definitely more well maintained and well put together. I loved the orchids sections and different colors and set up. The conservatory was beautiful. You have to wear good walking shoes as you can get a great cardio workout my taking a few laps.

At the end, we visited the Dupont Residence and went through the informative documentary on his life and how he set the foundation of the gardens. It was great to read and hear a brilliant chemistry major from MIT set the foundation of the gardens and have a passion for horticulture.

At the end of the day, we bought a few plants and herbs from the local horticulture center. The gift shop is cute and has some nice pieces of plants as well as souvenirs.

The onsite fine dining restaurant is highly recommended. Execllent choice of food but very slow service. It took us approximately over 30-45 mins to get our dinner. Otherwise, a real pleasant experience through and through. Friday and Saturday are late evenings. The gardens are opened till 10pm EST. Buying tickets ahead of time is recommended.You can bring the ticket on your PDA device vs. carrying a paper print out or ticket. It's convenient. Thank God, they are using modern day and age technology.

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Took my family as we drove from Baltimore. It was well worth the trip to see the beauty of the flowers, plants and trees. Will go again. Oh, they have an awesome treehouse!