“Good Food while you're visiting”
Review of The Cafe

The Cafe
Price range: US$15 - US$45
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Route 1
West Lafayette, Indiana
“Good Food while you're visiting”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Located in Longwood Gardens, this is a restful place to stop for lunch or a snack in the midst of wandering thru the delightful garden exhibits. We found the food good and reasonably priced for the location. And it's air conditioned, which on a hot day can provide a cooling respite.

Visited June 2014

Portland
“Great cafeteria at a great garden”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Best cafeteria food I have eaten. Try their house made cheesecake, you will be impressed! They have a wide variety of hot and cold choices, all reasonably priced.

• Visited July 2014
Palo Alto, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,191 helpful votes
“Organic style cafeteria - Good Quality - Healthy Choices - limited menu”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

There are two places to eat inside Longwood Gardens, both are at what they call “the terraces”. Once is a sit down, formal restaurant called “1906” and the other is the Café and is the one this review is about.

The “Café” is a cafeteria style restaurant with both indoor and outdoor seating areas. The menu is a bit limited but more on the “healthy” side with various wraps, 1 or 2 types of pre-made sandwiches, soups, a few hot dishes (chili, vegetarian pot pie, etc.) and some salads. All in all it was fine and a lot better than deep fried junk food one many times finds at all day attractions where you pay admission to get inside.

The food seemed fresh and had decent flavor – but it is cafeteria style. Many of the selections are pre-made and individually wrapped in plastic wrap (e.g. wraps and sandwiches) and the hot entries are kept in metal containers on a steam table until you order when your portion is transferred to a plate for you. But, that's what a cafeteria is.

Personally, I like traditional food. I’m not a big fan of the new age, organic, healthy choices craze. It’s not that I’m opposed to organic or healthy in general, it’s just that those offerings tend to be the more unusual items. I don't need or want, vegetarian, or vegan, or gluten free or lactose free or no fat. Give me a good burger or grilled chicken sandwich or lasagna and a lemonade and I’m happy. Even better if the burger is hormone and antibiotic free and the items are free of GMO strains and free of pesticides. I guess this is what most people think “organic” means, not withstanding that there is no official definition of the term. So, I applaud this restaurant for being of the more “organic” nature, but I found it hard to find anything that appealed to me. I would have liked to see an "organic" burger or a bowl of good old chicken noodle soup. i don't recall exactly what they were offering the day we were there, but I do recall that after not finding anything really appealing having to review all the options several times in order to come up with a final choice - but that's probably just me.

If you choose to go here on a nice sunny warm day, at prime lunch time you should expect to spend a fair amount of time in line and my have to tour the seating areas a few times to find a table with someone leaving. On the other hand if you come a bit before or after "prime time" it seems to be a lot better. We got there after 1:15 and only had a couple of people in line in front of us.

If you found this information useful in your decision making process, you gleaned information you may not otherwise have discovered, or you just enjoyed reading it and appreciate the time I put into writing it, please give me a "helpful" vote.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Califdan69
Ft. Washington, Pa
“Buss Traveler”
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Longwood gardens is a great place to relax and spend the day. We got to the restaurant a little late and were greated with rudeness. The lady who let us in rolled her eyes. The server was curt and the lady checking us out had no idea what "thank you" ment. What a shame we had such a good time at the gardens to have it end like this.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jfv736
Seymour, Connecticut
“Very nice lunch”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Nice up scale lunch we had wanted to dinner but they were booked lunch was perfect. The staff was helpful and very friendly couldn't have asked for a nicer time

Visited September 2013