“Interesting blend of old & new”
Review of Half Moon Restaurant - CLOSED

Half Moon Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Don't know the history of this charming architecturally interesting restaurant but the ambience is part of the enjoyment-lots of high ceilings, dark warm wood, muted lighting, and then there is the interesting selection of all sorts of meats from boars to elk to kangaroo! I chose a mere chicken dish but the herbs and seasonings used were rich and different-the appetizer choice of 5 Chester Co cheeses, a pate of ambrosial taste and some pickles, and small slices of crusty bread was so delicious-(I went and bought some of the local cheeses before we left the area-) I would definitely go there again-the waiter was competent and pleasant, the prices reasonable and it was a pleasant venue. I probably would not try some of the more exotic meats as I wonder how fresh they can be coming from all quarters of the globe? but maybe they are-what we ate was very good.

1  Thank ANNE R

Reviewed 17 December 2013

I'm a retired flight attendant and have been all over the world and my lunch today was the best ever! It bumped the mussels in garlic wine sauce in Brussels into number 2 place.. I had the exotic mushroom appetizer and small waffle fries...Now the fries were good but the mushrooms on crustini were over the moon (so to speak)..It's a good thing this place is 60 miles from home or I'd never cook again...By the way the fries came home..too much for my hubby and I ...He had the lunch special ham and swiss..yummy also but his mushroom soup was also the best I ever tasted....xoxox

1  Thank bonniejarrett
Reviewed 30 November 2013

A deliciously inviting dining experience in Kennett Square, PA. We went with friends and savored flavors and foods we've never tried. A true dinning extravaganza and we loved every tempting morsel. While they serve beef, exotic meats are featured and change often such as kangaroo, ostrich, elk to name a few.

Begin your meal with an appetizer of Half Moon Exotic Mushrooms - it's fantasy on a plate with it's rich earthy flavor served on cibatta croutons baked with gorgonzola. Tempt your taste buds with Rosemary Encrusted Elk and a sweet potato pate`. The prices do reflect the dining experience, but not outrageous. Worth the trip.

1  Thank Cheryl G
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

My wife and I ventured to Kennet Square for the annual mushroom festival in 2011. It is a rather small town, thank goodness for TripAdviser. This was the closest restaurant to our hotel with vegetarian options. We ate on the rooftop. Not the most extravagant view, but darling none the less. I remember having some sort of veggie burger and she ordered the grilled tofu over lentils. No complains on the food or service! Average prices. We would definitely return again if in the area.

1  Thank CodiFrancis
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We saw Half Moon Cafe mentioned on the travel channel (turns out it was a very old rerun) and made a point of stopping on our most recent trip to PA.

As expected, the menu was eclectic, something for every palate. We chose game meat sandwiches (bison and wild boar) and decided the teevee show hadn't exaggerated the talents of the kitchen. Game meats don't have the fat of beef and pork and can be overcooked to toughness fairly easily. Not here, though. Our selections were done to perfection.

With miles to go, we didn't get into the beverage menu. The decor is beyond charming. We thoroughly enjoyed our lunch and will definitely return on our next trip.

1  Thank Wishniki