“Please call Gordon Ramsey”
Review of Cascade Lodge - CLOSED

Cascade Lodge
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Please call Gordon Ramsey”
Reviewed 28 September 2013

The only reason I didn't give this 1 star is for old time's sake. This was by far my favorite restaurant for several years. Really great old-school place, rural but elegant, played the old standards, a lot of retro but still great entrees, many prepared tableside. It started going downhill just after 9/11. That was 12 years ago and it has been slipping ever downward since then. The chef, or chefs, left and the owner now does all the cooking (NOTE: My last visit to Cascade Lodge was in April or May of this year so maybe that has changed.) When the owner is the only chef, it's usually a big problem. She has cut corners in every way. The once-glorious menu of beef wellington for two, pecan duck with ice cream (sounds weird but they used ice cream instead of heavy cream for the sauce -- sooooo good) and other specialty items is gone. That's too much trouble and isn't profitable enough. The menu keeps shrinking and the entrees are those which can be found pretty much anywhere. The trout is about the only thing you can feel safe ordering. The cuts of beef are simply awful. I don't know if she buys the meats from Giant but they are tough and gristly at best. My friend ordered duck that tasted old. We ordered coffee and immediately saw mold float to the top. I know the cups were clean. The waiter realized the carafe he poured the coffee into had been sitting on a shelf for a while, hadn't been washed properly and thus the mold had grown in it. The owner wouldn't comp us though, because we had a groupon. I am not saying this to drive them out of business. They're doing a good job of that themselves. On the contrary, I would be thrilled to see Cascade Lodge regain its former glory. I beg the owner: Please call Chef Ramsey and get on his Kitchen Nightmares show. He can turn Cascade Lodge around and give you the help you need. Short of that, can you just hire a chef and start buying good protein? Frederick's Meats at Q-Mart is fantastic. I don't mind Cold Duck but old duck is another story!

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank LindaRamone1234

“Not worth your time”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

So many good restaurants around this area go to one of them .way over priced, outdated,the only thing nice is the view

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jbogey
“Terrible!!!!”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

My husband and I went to the Cascade Lodge for dinner after our friend recommended it to us and said how great it was. We pulled into the parking lot and the building looked kind of run down and I told my husband lets still give it a try. When we walked in we wanted to grab a drink at the bar and we had a female bartender which I could smell the alcohol on her breathe. She was so slow that we decided just to get a drink at the table. Our food came out and we both ordered trout and it came out a little dry. We had a horrible night and dinner and we tried to talk to the staff and we found that the were very focus on only pleasing a certain group of customers. Would not recommend this place to anyone!!!!

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank mcmmk
Lehigh Valley, PA
“Good but far from great and not worth the price”
Reviewed 25 May 2013

A friend got a LivingSocial voucher for the Cascade Lodge and asked me to go along. In the 60’s and 70’s , this was one of THE places to go, and when you did, it was ALWAYS packed, both floors. Now I was there a few years back and it was horrible. But hoping it was different and because my friend invited me, I went. Overall, my impression is that the place is barely hanging on, and the positive reviews are friends, or people hired to do reviews ( and yes, that is starting to be a big business, doing fake positive reviews for places).

Immediately when you get there, it is obvious the building hasn’t been updated in years and the exterior is in need of a basic facelift. No big deal, you don’t eat the building. Once inside, you are hit with a definite stale ( musky as one other said) odor. And oops, no one to greet you. The bartender, a lady in “street” cloths, comes out from the bar and says we need to go upstairs to the main dining room, and then she returned to the bar. I remember when you were greeted at the door.

Upstairs is spacious with lots of tables. This was a Friday night, and only one table was occupied. But no host or hostess to greet us. Finally a young lady, the waitress, comes out of the kitchen and asked if we had reservations, and then says we could sit anyplace.

Turns out the young waitress does it all in the dining room for all the tables upstairs. Another sign the place is trying to survive. She greets when she has time. She makes all the cocktails for the diningroom. She takes the orders, delivers the food, cleans the tables, makes the entrées made at the table. What she does in the kitchen, I can only guess. She was very pleasant and did as good as one person could but she needed help!!!! When we left I could see the few tables there were getting restless.

The menu is sparse and another sign of a restaurant trying to survive. What bugged me is that the voucher had no limitations, but when we got there, the waitress said we could not order the Steak Diane. Now this is only $2 more than the steak rib-eye and is what my friend had wanted after going to the Net. Why antagonize a client for $2????

For appetizers, I had the mushroom caps which were good but only two and very small. For that size I would expect three or four for that price. My friend had the French onion soup and said it was as good as any. We each had the Caesar Salads. Not made at the table, good, but any place I have gone of that alleged quality offers cracked pepper. Not here.

I had the Deutschland Schnitzel, very good but far from excellent as one other review had it. The portion was good but I have had more tender schnitzel and the breading was soggy. My guest had the Chicken Marsala, which was good.

We skipped desserts as all were flaming liquor / ice cream options. Another sign of a struggling place as nothing, like cakes or creams, that had to be kept after slow nights.

When we left it was getting into prime time Friday night, and there were only five (5) tables upstairs. Downstairs, there were two tables and two people eating at the bar. Not a good sign at all.

Overall, not a horrible experience. But I won’t go back. Not up to parr for the pricing and lack of options, and lack of service!!!! If this was 5 stars as some other reviewed it, it would have had many more clients on a Friday night!!!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank TerryDB
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The Lounge was amazing”
Reviewed 15 April 2013

I did not get a chance to try any of the food in the dining area of the Cascade Lodge but the Lounge bar was great. They had entertainment, great food, and the place was packed. It is good to go to a place where people still dance, where there is a fireplace to sit in front of to talk, and the ambiance is interesting- I really liked the wine glass chandeliers the far bar was sporting.

• Visited April 2013