“Definitely worth a visit” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cascade Lodge
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Milford, New Jersey
“Definitely worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

We just returned from a very enjoyable dinner at the Cascade Lodge after an absence of over a year and despite some clearly unhappy reviews of late, I can say that we thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and look forward to a return.

Granted, the meal itself was a bit pricey, but within the same range of some other area restaurants of the same ilk and I can't say that we were dissatisfied - the Steak Diane (prepared tableside) was excellent - both in texture and flavor. While there has been a disagreement regarding the décor and atmosphere - count us on the side of those who appreciate the classic, retro experience. We enjoy comfortable, elegant surroundings with friends, not flashy, minimalist, trendy places.

I also do not have a problem with the short menu - rather than throw a bewildering array of variations on the same theme (beef, "other meat", pasta , fish) - why not concentrate on excellent versions of each choice? No need to have any chef dazzle me with their versatility, just focus on what you can do best. There is enough choice to prevent boredom, except maybe for those who need to go out to dinner nearly every night. If a few weeks pass between visits - why wouldn't your favorite be just as tasty? Generally I have always ordered their superb - locally sourced (meaning - from the basement spring!) trout, but, after considering some of the other appealing entrees (including the specials) - opted this time for the Steak Diane. No regrets, whatsoever.

One "new" feature is that they have finally refurbished their comfortable first floor lounge, complete with piano player and separate pub menu - definitely a welcome addition and throw-back to it's more energetic past. I expect that the roaring fireplace will be especially inviting on any snow covered Delaware Valley winter evening.

Then again, rather than depend on my, or someone else reviews, as a definitive statement - if you are in the area, you should visit at least once and make up your own mind - I honestly believe this place will surprise you - in a good way.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank NJXJ

Bloomsbury, New Jersey
“charming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

Cascade lodge turned out to be a pleasant surprise. My husband and i used to go here frequently years ago and always emjoyed the old world atmosphere, excellent service and terrific food. I saw a coupon on double take deals (and now that our son id grown and we no longer have to worry about kid friendly places and baby sitters) and decided to give it a try once again, WE went on line to check for the hour of operations and noticed that several of the reviews were quite negative. We were a bit apprehensive but decided to go anyway. The lodge looks much the same as it used to - the interior a bit dated, but charming and the views to outside simply gorgeous. The restaurant was not crowded. And while the atmosphete and style of service has changed, ( no hostess , or extraneous staff), we did have an excellent waitress. We ended up ordering the specials - i had shrimp pasta with tomatoes garlic and parmesan,my husband had trout stuffed with crab meat, both meals were delicious . We will go again and bring trout lovers back with us. TWe were assured that this special would become a regular onthe menu so we are looking forward to coming again.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“Please call Gordon Ramsey”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

The only reason I didn't give this 1 star is for old time's sake. This was by far my favorite restaurant for several years. Really great old-school place, rural but elegant, played the old standards, a lot of retro but still great entrees, many prepared tableside. It started going downhill just after 9/11. That was 12 years ago and it has been slipping ever downward since then. The chef, or chefs, left and the owner now does all the cooking (NOTE: My last visit to Cascade Lodge was in April or May of this year so maybe that has changed.) When the owner is the only chef, it's usually a big problem. She has cut corners in every way. The once-glorious menu of beef wellington for two, pecan duck with ice cream (sounds weird but they used ice cream instead of heavy cream for the sauce -- sooooo good) and other specialty items is gone. That's too much trouble and isn't profitable enough. The menu keeps shrinking and the entrees are those which can be found pretty much anywhere. The trout is about the only thing you can feel safe ordering. The cuts of beef are simply awful. I don't know if she buys the meats from Giant but they are tough and gristly at best. My friend ordered duck that tasted old. We ordered coffee and immediately saw mold float to the top. I know the cups were clean. The waiter realized the carafe he poured the coffee into had been sitting on a shelf for a while, hadn't been washed properly and thus the mold had grown in it. The owner wouldn't comp us though, because we had a groupon. I am not saying this to drive them out of business. They're doing a good job of that themselves. On the contrary, I would be thrilled to see Cascade Lodge regain its former glory. I beg the owner: Please call Chef Ramsey and get on his Kitchen Nightmares show. He can turn Cascade Lodge around and give you the help you need. Short of that, can you just hire a chef and start buying good protein? Frederick's Meats at Q-Mart is fantastic. I don't mind Cold Duck but old duck is another story!

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank LindaRamone1234
“Not worth your time”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

So many good restaurants around this area go to one of them .way over priced, outdated,the only thing nice is the view

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Jbogey
“Terrible!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

My husband and I went to the Cascade Lodge for dinner after our friend recommended it to us and said how great it was. We pulled into the parking lot and the building looked kind of run down and I told my husband lets still give it a try. When we walked in we wanted to grab a drink at the bar and we had a female bartender which I could smell the alcohol on her breathe. She was so slow that we decided just to get a drink at the table. Our food came out and we both ordered trout and it came out a little dry. We had a horrible night and dinner and we tried to talk to the staff and we found that the were very focus on only pleasing a certain group of customers. Would not recommend this place to anyone!!!!

• Visited May 2013