“This Place is Family”

Whitemarsh Valley Inn
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 19 December 2012

This place is family. It is a well aged tradition in Lafayette Hill. So much so, that the guy who we were treating out to celebrate his change of jobs has a sandwich there named after his mother and father who were regulars for many years and who always had the same table. There is nothing fancy here. It's a place that leans on meat and potatoes and good coctails and decent solid deserts. The prime rib is very good, the steaks are good, the cowboy pork chop is generous and the knife and fork ribs are fine. You get actual butter with the heated rolls instead of having to dip them in olive oil. I understand that the meat loaf (Only served at lunch) is really good. The place has a woody old-time country inn feel and the service is friendly and competent. The prices are about what you would expect...not cheap and not exhorbitant. This is an older crowd for the most part. There is live entertainment and on some nights, Karaokie. Not a hip-hop experience...but really pleasant enough. Leave your cynicism at the door and open up to a good traditional dinner out.

1  Thank TommyBoy94

Reviewed 11 June 2012

My wife and I returned to the WVI and were much more satisfied this time around. The service was exemplary and really quick, but not at all rushed. The food was good and fresh and we have decided we will return again.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

My wife and I went here for our anniversary. The wait staff was great and very accommodating. I asked for something not on the menu and they were eager to please. The courses were delicious and the timing between meals and desert was perfect. Now, the reason for the lower rating. First, they forgot our bread, which we had to ask for, no big deal. Second, they brought the wrong salad to my wife, a Caesar, when she wanted a garden salad. We told the waiter and he was back momentarily with the correct salad. The salad looked like weeds that had been pulled and left to turn limp in the sun on a hot July afternoon. I mean, say your out of it, my wife would have gotten a Caesar no problem. But serve her that? It was nasty. It was basically a mushy salad. Don't serve us that and your rating would have been up. So we give three thumbs down.

Reviewed 31 March 2012

Terrible food and worse than average service. The real charm of this place is the 60+year old pickup scene at the bar. If food is what you want, then go somewhere else. If you are looking for an elderly date, then this might be the place to find Mr. Or Mrs. Right along with their obligatory sled-like Mercedes, or Jaguar behemoths.

2  Thank Keith K