“Willowbrook at Lake Harmony timeshare exchange entirely satisfactory”
Review of Split Rock Resort

Split Rock Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Lake Harmony
Reviewed 15 February 2014

My Wife and I were looking for a quick getaway within driving distance from our central NJ home for a few days over the Valentines / President's Day weekend and found the Willowbrook unit at Split Rock Resort available as a short term value exchange (30 day or less - half the points) for one of our timeshare units through Interval. We exchanged for a one bedroom unit with a gas fireplace, full kitchen, and a bath with a full size Jacuzzi soaking tub in Building 5 - just the thing for a romantic getaway..
Once we passed the toll both (we're from New Jersey - we're used to that) and figured out where to register upon arrival (it's in the Galleria - turn at the sign for The Theater) we found our building and unit.
The Willowbrook units appear to be of newer construction than the Gallaria building and others at the resort. While the decor is a bit dated, everything was clean and in working order. The fireplace turned on/off with a single wall switch, the kitchen has a coffee maker, blender, a good selection of pots&pans, and both the oven and fridge were clean. Same for the carpet. Countertops are laminate throughout the unit instead of stone, but in good condition. No washer/dryer in the unit, but it's available on the floor.
The Jacuzzi tub is probably the most comfortable we've found in our travels (and entirely accommodating for occupancy by two for a soak & champagne). The mattress on the bed is on the thin side, but not at all uncomfortable). There is a pullout couch that looks about as thin - but I've yet to find one that is truly comfortable anyway.
The unit carries an Interval silver rating - and In my opinion that's about right. So if you've been reading the reviews of the accommodations at the Gallaria building or elsewhere in the resort with some trepidation, breathe easy if you're booked into Willowbrook - the unit is comfortable and entirely satisfactory, A linen exchange is available, but we waited a day for ours to come back. (To be fair, we had more than 18 inches of snow here, and the roads were slow to be plowed - I wouldn't be surprised if the staff had trouble getting in that day.)
The only knock on the unit is the condition of the plates, silverware, and especially the glassware. All we're clean, but are scratched and worn enough to make you look twice to be sure. Corelle plates are durable, but nothing lasts forever - and these definitely are at the end of their useful life. That said, kept filled with your choice of libation on a cold snowy winter's day cozied up by the fire, you'll never even notice the glassware.
You're about a mile and a half from the Gallaria building and the pool/movie theater/bowling alley/indoor water park which means driving when the roads are covered in significant snow. The pool is warm and good sized but offers only 2 small changing rooms ( no locker room) so travel light if you want to take a dip - you'll be walking through the hotel lobby to/from the pool.

Room Tip: We thought the Willowbrook at Lake Harmony unit was entirely satisfactory and consistent with the In...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank TABatOBNJ
romeyd04, Manager at Split Rock Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Thank you for your nice comments about Split Rock: we are glad that you like your accommodations and hope to see you back on your next vacation. Thank you for your business.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Did not like it at all. Nicest thing was that they let us check out a night early. Tired decor, uncomfortable bed, waterpark was packed and price ridiculous for what it offers. Hot tub in pool area not working. Yuck. Save up and go to Woodloch instead.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Ilene M
Reviewed 9 February 2014 via mobile

My family and I stayed at the Williwbrook suites again. This was our fourth or fifth trip to Spilt Rock over the last 3 years. The suites are very spacious and bright. My kids love the large jetted tub in the bathroom. Each unit has a queen size bed in the bedroom and a sofa bed pullout in the main room. The kitchen is very nice and has all the appliances and utensils needed for your stay. The building is nice and quiet and not too far from the main building. All of our stays have been very enjoyable. The only downside is the food available in the Galleria is overpriced and terrible. This is not such a big deal with a full kitchen in your room. We pack
Plenty of food and cook in the room. Enjoy your stay!!

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Liktotravel4

Thank you for your nice comments: your comments about the food is being reviewed.We here at Split Rock thank you for your business and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

My husband and 8 year old son stayed here the weekend of January 31-February 2, 2014. We couldn't afford Great Wolf Lodge so we opted for Split Rock which was a fraction of the price especially with the Expedia deal I got. We stayed in the Slopeside Lodge on the 4th floor. I read all the previous reviews about this place so I came very well prepared and glad I did. I brought cleaning supplies with me just in case it was dirty but to my surprise the room was pretty clean, even the bathroom was clean. I also brought a portable fan to drown out any noise at night and this was a lifesaver because it was very noisy. You can hear doors slamming and kids/people running up and down hallways and over your head on the floor above. I think the floors are made of plywood for sure. The tv was small and outdated but we weren't there to watch tv so that didn't really matter. There was a nice sink and mini-fridge and good amount of space in the room. The bed was okay but the mattress was uncomfortable and I could feel the springs popping so that was the one thing I wasn't happy about especially because I have back problems. The shower had great water pressure and had plenty of hot water. Toilet was very slow flushing so that was bit of annoyance but didn't cause any problems. Now the only reason we stayed at this resort is because we already had made plans to visit the H2O waterpark which adjoins this hotel. For the convenience factor, it was a good choice to stay here because who wants to be soaking wet and then have to walk outside and drive in a freezing cold car? That is the main pro here and the fact that they do have activities, bowling, arcade, etc. there that makes it a fun place for kids. That is why there are so many families and kids staying there, hence all the noise. There was a high school event going on there the weekend we stayed so there were lots of teens and loud music but luckily they were staying in the main Galleria building and the Slopeside. The cons - Yes, the place is outdated and straight out of 1980. Yes, it has an old smell to it and honestly it sort of reminded me of a movie theater smell. Yes, the carpets are dirty and worn and the wallpaper is dingy and fixtures and furniture are badly outdated. Yes, the mattresses were uncomfortable. Yes, it was very noisy and you can hear people walking and running outside the door and above you at all hours of the night. Does all that it matter to an 8 year old? Not at all. He had a blast at the waterpark and loved the swimming pool there and we really did have a good time and that was all that mattered to us. That place has a lot of potential if they only invested just a little money to fix it up. It seems like there is a lot of empty space there that is being unused. Also, the indoor pool area could use some help. The tiles there are so very slippery that I almost wiped out several times and I was being very careful. Also, the ping pong area next to the pool could desperately use some renovation. Saw lots of chewing gum in the carpet and trash stuck in the benches and stuff like that. So, overall this a good place for families who just want to have a good time with the kids and not care about what the place looks and smells like. Would I stay here for a romantic weekend with my husband - absolutely not!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on a highest level or away from the main building. That will help with possi...
5  Thank T D

Thank you for your comments: We are very happy your son enjoyed himself at Split Rock and we thank you for your business and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Willowbrook is right down the road from the main building of split rock resort. We were very happy with the layout of the one bedroom suite. It comfortably fits 4 people. The mattress in the bedroom is pretty uncomfortable, the mattress on the pull of couch is even worse. The pillows were very worn and could use replacing. The kitchen is stocked with every appliance you could possibly need. The bathroom is great, very large whirlpool jacuzzi. Both TVs were modern and had hdmi hook ups. Overall, if we returned to pocono PA we would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BMCBNY

Thank you for you comments: we are glad you enjoyed your stay. Split Rock thanks you for your business and hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

We've been to Split Rock 2x in the past years. My brother and I bring our kids (ages 7-12) for a weekend of skiing. The hotel is dated. That's a given. But this place is very well-managed and they keep it spotless.

There's no end to the things you can do.
- The water park is great. If you go in the evening, it's not very crowded (even on Sat night).
- Bowling
- Movie Theater
- Arcade
- Game room with pool tables, ping pong and shuffleboard.
- Huge athletic courts (tennis, basketball).
- Nearby sledding hill.

We didn't even get to all of the things we wanted to do. The best part is that it's all families. Our kids enjoyed going to the game room, getting food, etc all on their own while their dad/uncle sat in the hot tub. It's the easiest family trip we take.

If you can get over the 'dated' part, you'll love your stay. I saw some other reviews about it being scary and ugly. I wouldn't go that far, personally.

3  Thank Michael M

Thank you so much for your kind words about Split Rock: We appreciate your business and hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I try not to be picky, I always have an open mind but this place so needs help! It seems like the Poconos hotels are just stuck in a time warp or something! The beds are hard as rock, the furniture old and torn, the decor stuck in the 80's and ugly, really ugly. We stayed in a two bedroom, two bathroom with a living room and kitchen in the Galleria. Our second bedroom had a door to the hallway without a proper chain lock on the top. The noise level was so loud and we have 2 kids that even complained about it. We were all up at 7 AM each day there.
The staff did not inform us as to where things were located, what times activities where or that you had to make reservations for the tennis and basketball courts. When we went to play tennis, it cost us an extra $20, something they forgot to mention on the phone when we reserved the court.
We went to the movies that is there onsite and the popcorn ($7) was stale! We tried to make it better by adding butter but it tasted like feet! (I don't know what feet really taste like, but I imagine it would be this nastiness!) I tried to tell the kids who were working at the front but they looked it me like I was crazy and didn't offer anything in the popcorn's place. Good thing I took in other snacks:)
The H2O Water Park was fun and not crowded.. much smaller than other places we were at but because the crowd was so low we rode everything 10 times each or more. My only issue was there was a Flow rider Tournament (something that they failed to mention when I booked this resort or I would have picked another time) and the riders totally monopolized their time even though there was a "designated practice time" for them. I felt bad for the little kids and yes me, a first timer oh yeah and my kids too, who had to wait for the show offs...
This adventure was about us being together as a family and I have to say I would not go back. We make the best of everything and did have a good time together but this is not a place that we will be returning to or telling others to visit. It is sad because with some TLC and staff training this place could be a gold mine if they wanted it to be.

1  Thank marlarkane
The Woodlands Resort, An Ascend Collection Hotel
Lake Harmony Inn
Lake Harmony Inn
#1 of 1 in Lake Harmony

Been to Split Rock Resort? Share your experiences!