“Close by oasis”
Review of Cove Haven Resort

Cove Haven Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lakeville
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My husband and I decided in a quick getaway so we could have time away to relax and to reconnect with each other. We arrived Dec 26th and stayed for 3 nights. We have never been here before, but it seemed appealing when searching online for a place to go. Cove Haven did not disappoint. The staff was friendly, the room was clean and comfortable and the food and activities were enjoyable. This place was close to home, but far enough away that you feel like you are in a private oasis. We enjoyed snow mobiles, playing tennis , ice skating, and racquet ball. We had the opportunity to be a couple again and enjoy activities together. My husband and I have been together 14 years and got married very young. It was great to experience some of the things we missed out on. We will definitely come back again.

2  Thank Lilbit77
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Love your headline! Thanks, Lilbit77! See you next time.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,647)

Reviewed 29 December 2013 via mobile

My hubby and I stayed at Cove Haven Resort ( not Paradise or
the Pocono sister resort) for 3 days and 2 nights (22-25) to
celebrate our 1 year anniversary. We were very skeptical after reading some negetive reviews about this place. However, I did my homework and go directly to the website and look at pictures, read other reviews etc. I like the way the Garden of Eden room was situated ( you can see the rooms better after you click on the virtual tour and dragging your mouse around to see each sections, located under the pictures listed with each rooms) and I also looked at the activities they had and decided that it was good for us. Was still a little doubtful in the back of my mind, but we were happy with the choice after we got there. The food was great, dinner is a 4 course meal & it's more than enough. We requested a private table at each meal to get some alone time with each other, since we were kids free for a couple of days, and we still meat some new people at the activities (thanks to those who did mentioned about the private table in their review).The first night I didn't enjoy my dinner, because the sauce was too thick not to my liking or taste, more like a kind of soup poured on the pasta (not their fault though I should have asked). I didn't know that I could have chose something else. Breakfast was also fantastic, lots of choices and if you don't see what your looking for than you can ask and they will make it just for you and to your liking. All inclusive is axactly what it means, you can eat as much as you want for dinner and breakfast (ask for more
dinner or go get seconds on breakfast if you want it, they're very nice people. As for the activities, there are lots to do, we played table tennis, Mini bowling, pool, Mini golf, air hockey, ice skating ( my first time and it was fun), ride the bike in the game room, ladies go on the bike with you partner and activate the turbo boost, (try it and you'll see what I'm talking about) and pleasure for both after you get back to your room. Yes, I went there, we're grown ups, aren't we?... :) Live Entertainment the band (Harper etc) was well entertaining with nice music and Comedian or Magician every night was also funny. Some people mentioned that their were lots of old people, but that's not true. There were a mixture of couples; different ages, types and cultures, mostly in 30's- 50's. However, old people deserve to have some romance also. We stayed in the Garden of Eden room and it was clean, spacious and romantic, as seen on the site. I have to say though that I was thinking that the pool was big enough to swim into, but it's wasn't, not a big deal or us though. I would still stay in this room even if it didn't have a pool. However, you can still be creative and enjoy your private pool. I don't know how the other rooms are, but I was very pleased with this room. These rooms are toward the middle of the hill and the campaign rooms are further up the hill, while the Juliette rooms are closest to the entertainment, in/ outdoor pools and even closer to the restaurant for meals. The Julette rooms in the 300's have benches and tables infront, over looking the outdoor pools and site. Don't worry about setting to and from buildings if you do not feel like walking, because there is a shuttle van that will pick you up from any location on the site and take you to the different buildings including to and from your room. It's like calling a cab/ taxi to come get you and they're alway outside waiting during the entertainments to take you where you want to go. The walk is not far at all to each buildings and we walk almost all the time while we were there. Except one night it rained and we call the can to come get us from one of the activity center.
In the Garden of Eden room there's a small refrigerator tucked away in a section inside the bathroom area (creative) and total control of how hot or cold you would like your room, our room was nice and warm. We didn't use our firelogs eventhough we did purchase 2, because we were too busy going in and out of the room and did not feel the need to use the logs. Don't worry if you purchase logs when you get there and not use them just call the front desk and they will assist you with that. Overall, if your looking for a romantic getaway don't let the unpleasant reviews scare you, do your own evaluations. Even-though the rooms are expensive, expecially Garden of Eden & Champaign Tower rooms, I was happy with mine. You can look for deals on Groupon, Travelzoo or even Cove Haven website for their Resort specials ( click on rooms and specials) they had a deal also but the one I received from Groupon was better. Most importantly, stay within your budget and only get the room with amenities you would be happy with. Photographer are there every night at dinner time and they take great pictures but don't go too crazy taking pictures because they're $10 each if you want to keep them. Also don't get the $4 bubble bath from the gift
shop because it's very watery and
you might use the entire container in one bath. Bring your own or try a different one, they do have a few selections. Everyone was so nice and welcoming and special thanks to the ladies at the reservation desk, people in the restaurant and gift shop (sorry I don't remember the names).
Go and have a great time, It was worth it for us....

Ps: keep in mind that you will always see some negative review for anywhere you decide to visit, some people might have had a bad experience and it doesn't mean that you will also. While others are just impossible to please, the final decision is always your to make.

3  Thank Nevkae

Happy anniversary Nevkae! Thank you for sharing it with us and thank you for the wonderful review. Great photos too.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

We originally honeymooned at Paradise Stream in 1973 and went there regularly. A few years back we started going to Cove Haven. Their facilities are much more extensive and they have the one and only Honest Phil. We booked our room through Ceil who is an absolute joy to talk with. We were in the Champagne Tower. We arrived at 9:30 am and were greeted by Liz. Our room wasn't ready yet so we went in and had breakfast. Our server was the one and only Dennis. If you go to Cove Haven, you MUST request him. Although there is a buffet set up daily, you can order whatever you want from the kitchen. I ordered eggs with onions and potatoes fried in. It came out cooked to perfection with enough to feed two people. At one time Cove Haven had its own pastry chef. Their baked goods are now purchased commercially. I did notice on this visit, that the selection has increased dramatically and that the pre-packaged Sarah Lee cakes were gone.

The property is currently owned by Highgate Hotels and they are in the process of updating and renovating the property. There are 225 rooms on property and bringing them all up to date is quite an undertaking. The two most noticeable things were the demolition of three old derelict cottages on property and the vast improvement in the quality of the food. I had beef for my entree on the two "sit down" dinner nights. It was outstanding. As good as any you would find in a steakhouse. Keep in mind that we have been coming here for 40 years and have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. My wife had salmon which was also excellent. The night of the buffet, the offerings were varied and tasty.

The evening's entertainment consisted of two acts each night. There were two different bands during the three nights with Dr. J the deejay being the third musical act. The comedians were Jimmy Carroll (who we hadn't seen before and VERY FUNNY) as well as Brad Lowery who we had seen before but who still can keep the audience in stitches. John Graham, a magician, rounded out the entertainment for our three night stay.

The staff of Cove Haven has always been extremely friendly. That starts at the front desk and runs all the way through to Richard, one of the drivers of the "Love Machine" (oy) shuttle.

Reading previous reviews, it appears that many people's experiences are hit or miss. If you have a problem with you accommodation, ask to speak with a supervisor. They want you to have a good time and will try to make the situation right. NO, I do not work for Cove Haven. They are trying to turn things around and need some time to get there. They are one of the few remaining resorts in what used to be a thriving Poconos/Catskills resort area.

When we were packing to leave, my wife looked at me and said that she wished that we could stay another night.

To paraphrase Arnold, "We'll be back".

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trainman52

Happy 40th, Trainman52! What a reason to celebrate. Thank you for spending it with us! Thank you for the review. I have already shared it with the Team Members you mentioned. See you next time.

Reviewed 27 December 2013

I vistied the buffet after check out before a long 3 hr drive. There was no one to greet us and show us to our seats previously like the night before at dinner.I waited for ten mins. So I made my plate and sat at a empty table. A lady came out of nowhere raising her voice. You can't sit here-!! U must check in. I was so embarrassed. It was a room full of people looking at me and laughing. Her tone was uncalled for. I left the plate on the table and left. All that money that is sent on a room. I really would have enoughed breakfast before driving a 3hr drive home

3  Thank moulin114

I am very sorry about this reaction from our Hostess. We pride ourselves on customer service and this is not the standard we have at Cove Haven. We have spoken to the employee you mentioned. We hope you return to experience our friendly Team Members.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

My wife and I were married on December 25th and immediately drove 2 hours up to Cove Haven where we spent 2 nights. All I can say is neither of us could have dreamt of a more perfect place. We stayed in the garden of eden apple sweet and we were blown away by how nice it was. The staff was all very friendly and made sure we got the best deals possible. The food was amazing, the entertainment was astonishing and we were busy all day with wonderful activities. This resort earns full stars and we are both looking forward to returning in the future. Big thanks from both of us!

2  Thank bjamin1
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Congratulations Mr. & Mrs. bjamin1!!! Thank you for sharing this very special occasion with us! We look forward to you returning too!

Reviewed 25 December 2013

So its 1:45am and my husband and I are an hour from home. This has been a one day trip from hell!! We drove 4.5 hours hoping to reconnect from a rough year. We arrived, we greeted by the staff and checked in. When we went to our room as soon as we opened the door we were greeted by the smell of mildew, smoke, and someones old basement. Old is a great word to describe this resort. The original Juliet room we checked into was a mess. We fired up the hot tub only to have it make terrible sounds, so loud we couldn't hear eachother talk, next black guck coming out of the jets, and a broken tv. We called the office, maintenance came. Hot tub's motor is so ancient ots gonnamake that noise. They tell us theu will move us. We get upgraded to yet anothwr house of horrors. TgiThis room has a broken toilet and brown.mold or something in the bottom of the private swimming pool remaniscent of poop. We also continue to get our stuff out of our last room when suddenly we cant get into the room. We call for help and after waiying outside in the freezing cold tye same maintenance man has to come in, remove the wall heating unit and we move on.So after being thoroughly disgusted we go down to the front desk and demand a refund. We paid with a gift card and the useless receptionist could not offer our refund, but promises a check after accounting returns after the holiday. Instead of a romantic holiday getaway we are now unexpectedly on the road driving back home, sad, disgusted, out $500 until we receive a check from cove haven, and certain christmas has been ruined!!! Thanks a lot cove haven. Wouldve rated a zero if we couldve.

6  Thank loriharrison22

I am very disappointed to read this review as we want every couple to have a relaxing and reconnecting getaway. Guest satisfaction and comfort is our number one priority. We could love the opportunity to welcome you back. Please consider emailing us at PoconoRomance@covepoconoresorts.com with a good number and time to reach you.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

This trip was a great getaway for my sweetheart and I. The staff was attentive, welcoming, the view was beautiful and the food was great. The staff did a great job of developing a romantic paradise. X

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Too B
RomanceManager, Manager at Cove Haven Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Thanks Too B!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lakeville
Pocono Manor Resort & Spa
Skytop Lodge
Skytop Lodge
#1 of 1 in Skytop
The Lodge at Woodloch

Been to Cove Haven Resort? Share your experiences!