“Another Check for Checkers!”
Review of Checkers Bistro

Checkers Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Checkers Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 600 Restaurants in Lancaster
Price range: US$20 - US$50
Cuisines: American, French, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Checkers Bistro has an eclectic menu, with American, French and Asian influenced dishes. We are passionate about Food, Wine, Craft Beers and Liquor. We purchase as many ingredients locally that are in season. Our goal is to deliver a fine dining experience in a friendly and consistent setting. We welcome your feedback through TripAdvisor and will respond to your comments. Live, Love, Eat at Checkers Bistro.
Reviewed 23 November 2013

My wife and I two friends dined at Checkers recently and once again it was outstanding. We believe it to be one of the top restaurants in Lancaster. Why? Check these reasons out:

Ambience - Check, excellent!
Service - Check, excellent
Atmosphere & electricity - vibrant and the place was rocking. Check!
Food? Superb: 2 of us had the 12oz ribeye with Port wine sauce, steak frites and asparagus. my wife had the Salmon and my friends wife had the Wahoo over mussels: A BIG CHECK for all of the entre's!
Menu - varied and complete. Check!

I can highly recommend this restaurant to you. Check it out and you too will say Checkers gets your check for excellent dining!

P.S. Rezzy's are a must and often far in advance.

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Make reservations well ahead. It's a small restaurant that sells out quickly on weekends in particular. The only way you'll get a seating on the weekend without a reservation is at the bar, which I highly recommend. The bar staff have always given us excellent service and attention and you can order from the full menu. Downside, the bathrooms are tiny, dreary and not as clean as you would expect from a restaurant of this caliber.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

I was visiting Lancaster for the day on business and decided to stop into Checker's for an early lunch based on the Tripadvisor reviews. Previous reviewers had warned about the old school, dark interior, so I was prepared for that, but it was still a bit of a downer. The service, however, was cheery and helpful.

Where the place really disappointed was the food. I started with a cup of the special soup of the day - a curry lentil - which was a bit nondescript and bland, but ok. Then, about 15 minutes later I overheard the server say to another diner that they were out of the lentil soup and had a new special. Being that it was only noon, I realized that I had just been served last night's soup!

I had asked my server what she recommended as an entrée and she said that the ahi tuna po' boy was their signature dish, so I went with that. Unfortunately, it was nothing special. The bread (which really makes a good po boy) was average and the tuna was fatty and chewy. All in all, it was a passable meal and wouldn't have given it much thought except it didn't match expectations based on the high marks given by others.

1  Thank DCSKN
Reviewed 12 November 2013

We ate here Saturday evening (11/9/13) and had a great meal. The service from Fran was impeccable, and the food was delicious. We strongly recommend the restaurant, but you need to book early - we saw many people being turned away because they were fully booked!

Reviewed 23 October 2013

Checker's is a bit off the beaten path I think, but what a lovely place. Really nice dark wood inside, but modern looking with a cool bar. People at the bar were in professional clothes to a guy in jeans, sneakers, flannel coat and a cap. Nice, but not stuffy. Went on a Wednesday at around 6:00 and we were seated immediately.

I was traveling on business with another colleague, and we were seated in the bar area. The price are reasonable (mid teens to one dish in the $30s). You can get a half or full salad, entrees, small plates, a few yummy sounding personal pizzas. We both went with the half portion of the apple salad, which was perfect as a starter. My colleague got the Steak Frites and I got the Mussels in curry lemongrass which was not really spicy. For dessert, we split the Profiteroles.

Service was good, food was very good. it was a neat little gem in Lancaster city.