“Best in Lancaster” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Checkers Bistro

Checkers Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Checkers Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 567 Restaurants in Lancaster
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Checkers Bistro has an eclectic menu, with American, French and Asian infuenced dishes. We are passionate about Food, Wine, Craft Beers and Liquor. We purchase as many ingredients locally that are in season. Our goal is to deliver a fine dining experience in a friendly and consistent setting. We welcome your feedback through TripAdvisor and will respond to your comments.Live, Love, Eat at Checkers Bistro.
New York City, New York
“Best in Lancaster”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

My husband and I arrived at 7:30 with a dinner reservation on a Friday. The bistro was bustling with activity, most tables filled when we arrived, most still when we left two hours later. We were immediately shown to a table, and given menus and water. In no time we had orders in, though we never felt any pressure to make quick decisions. The room was appointed well, though the entire experience felt relaxed and casual. The Mint Julep was one of the best I've had, and every course that followed was tasty, cooked as ordered, and attractively plated. The combination of excellent work in the kitchen, super friendly staff, and casual/relaxed atmosphere made this one to visit over and over.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Toreadorable

York, Pennsylvania
“Duck Tacos & Coffee Crusted Filet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

We have been going to Checkers since it was at its previous location on James Street. Terrific food and not a budget buster. We are fans of the Duck Tacos & Coffee Crusted Filet. Relaxed dining experience!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Liana B
Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
“Old Location was fantastic, new location= just a larger building.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

We loved Checkers as a breakaway small fine dining establishment, but now that they've taken over Rosa Rosa's old building, I thought perhaps the menu would change. What they serve is typically very good to excellent, depending on your server. I went a few weeks ago, and ordered a clear chocolate marting, which I've gotten there many many many times... this time it arrived with the Nasty Godiva garbage liquor (don't hate me for hating cheap crappy spirits in what should be a fine liquor) and chocolate syrup. But I was too tired to complain and drank it, over-sweetened as it was. The entrees came, from the same limited selection, and I suppose it was ok. Am I just too spoiled from the Loft, Log Cabin, La Voila (in Philly), the former Hayden Zugs, the former Strawberry Hill, Jean George's, David Burke and Donatella, etc. I'm a foodie, and I admit it. But the menu hasn't changed at Checkers, save a special here and there, for years. I guess that's on me, because if I take a person who has never been there to Checkers, they rave. But I guess I'm just tired of the same old same old... Service was fine other than mine drink, and I know they would have made it over for me, but it was late, I was tired, and wanted something to wow me... Duck Tacos are great the first 20 times, and then... well, people get tired of the same old same old and want something new now and then. Please note, the Food Quality has NOT diminished, it is just tried and true on the menu, but sadly, as a repeat diner, I want something new that I can't make at home... And other than an annoyingly loud Bridal Party, in our smaller dining area for larger tables, who thought perhaps that they were Kardashians, everything would have satisfied the 'average' diner.. just not me...

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Pennsylvania
“LOVE this place! Never fails us!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014

We go to Checkers for special meals, and it never fails us. Now that they've moved into their new location, I love it even more. I was worried that when they moved into the old Rosa Rosa location, that they'd lose some of the cozy ambience that they are known for. Not so! It is even better, in my opinion. Whoever did the interior design on the new place was amazing. It is very tastefully done, with a lot of cool touches throughout (pictures and so forth). Food was amazing as always.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Runwaychic
Brooklyn
“So delicious!! Awesome!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Every element of our experience was excellent. The service was wonderful. Our server was friendly, helpful, and very accommodating. She even brought out a pillow for our 3 year old who fell asleep on the bench during dinner!
The food was impeccable! Every dish was freshly made to order and so tasty. You could tell the ingredients were fresh. Each plate had it's own wonderful flavors that were simply amazing!
The next time we visit Lancaster we will be sure to eat at Checkers Bistro again!

2 Thank pammeli1122